Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:12 AM   #1

Camper Rookie needs help

Complete rookie! My mother and recently purchased a 1998-99 Fleetwood Prowler. Everything I have found (which isn't much) says once I plug in I should have power with or without a battery. Don't have a test light for fuses but all the breakers are on. I'm sorry if this is a silly question. But should at least something come on when I plug in with no battery or no? Please help we have to move into this thing in two weeks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some RV's use the battery to buffer the incoming power, but you still should have power to at least something. Is there a battery cut off (so called "salesmans" switch) that might be off?

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 AM   #3

I have no idea. Can't find a manual anywhere. Where do you think I should look for that. I did finally find breakers and fuses. Been spending a lot of time at YouTube university, learning all I can. Not finding our camper at all. But still learning alot
Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.
Fleetwood used the Prowler name on many types of RVs is this a travel trailer , or other type?

Your post/ question , got me thinking , other than the clock on my microwave , unless I have something plugged into a 120 volt outlet inside the coach , I don't have any indication the coach is receiving power from the park post or house current .
If there is no battery to supply 12 volt power to the RV lights , then first find the battery box and check that any cables that should be hooked to a battery , aren't shorted to ground. The converter/charger ( the box that puts out the 12 volt power should have fuses or a circuit breaker right on it and if the positive battery cable was touching ground they will be blown or tripped.
If you have to locate the converter/charger, do you know what to look for ?
I can post a picture if you need one.
Sorry I can't say exactly where it is in your RV .
JMHO: I think before you go too much further , you should invest in a 12 volt test light and a multi meter, lots of places you can get both for under $25 .
Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are you plugged into?

Is there power at the outlet you are plugged into?

Is it a 30 amp RV outlet?
Old 04-20-2016, 05:34 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
floridamyway-

Here's a link to a 1999 Prowler manual you can download. On that Web page, click on the blue "Downlload" link on the right.

There's a line diagram of the electrical system on page 5-7 of the manual, and a description of the 12V converter on page 5-3. Please note that many of these manuals are somewhat "generic" and may not reflect your trailer exactly.

The place to start is to see if you get 120V of AC power in the trailer with the shore cord plugged into a 120V outlet. Start by turning off all the AC breakers in the distribution center. Next, plug in the shore cord. Then turn on the main breaker on the distribution panel. Finally, turn on the 120V breaker that feeds the outlets in the trailer. Plug a 120V device, such as a radio or small fan, into each outlet in the trailer, and see what outlets work off that breaker. Turn off that breaker, then turn on the next 120V breaker and see what works (or doesn't).

One of the 120V circuit breakers feeds the converter. Save that one for last. Then, turn on its circuit breaker, and see if you get any 12V service, such as lights.

That's enough to get you started.

Although your converter should work without a battery, I'd recommend getting one so that you can have 12V service while disconnected from 120VAC power. BUT, don't buy a battery until you confirm that your converter both works and has at least three stages of charging. If you have an original, single-stage charger, it can ruin a battery quickly if left plugged in all the time. This link can explain it better than I can:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Start at the source...If you are plugged in at home, make sure the outside receptacle has not tripped. GFIC very common, and the reset on that could be in a bathroom ground fault. Then move to the camper. If you are plugged into a RV outlet you will need to be sure your power is on at that location. In many RV sites the outlets may not work due to the winter lack of use.
Start your search from the source!
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

Thank you so much. I bought a battery and now have power. The water heater and fridge is not working though. I'm hoping it's just fuses. It's a 1998-99 M-24J travel trailer
Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

If the refrigerator is a normal RV refrigerator it may be switched to propane. If you don't have propane it won't work. And I'm guessing your water heater will not heat water because it is probably also propane. Check to see if your propane tanks are turned on.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

On the fridge not working, sometimes it takes a while for those older refrigerators to cool down, and the camper needs to be level for the fridge to work. (I found that out years ago with first camper the hard way)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
If the refrigerator is a normal RV refrigerator it may be switched to propane. If you don't have propane it won't work. And I'm guessing your water heater will not heat water because it is probably also propane. Check to see if your propane tanks are turned on.
I have checked those things thank you. The water heater is both 110 and gas the fridge is the same and it is set to auto. The hot water is not putting out any water and I can't find a single shut off/on valve anywhere. I looked at a few of them online and there is a different kind of cap on the drain spout and the valve doesn't seem to be as good as those but there is no water coming out. I'm checking in the am to see if it is even hooked up to the water supply. Will keep you all informed because there will be many more questions. I checked a few min ago and the freezer is getting cold but not the fridge. I'm thinking freon. Thanks for your help
Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamyway View Post
I have checked those things thank you. The water heater is both 110 and gas the fridge is the same and it is set to auto. The hot water is not putting out any water and I can't find a single shut off/on valve anywhere. I looked at a few of them online and there is a different kind of cap on the drain spout and the valve doesn't seem to be as good as those but there is no water coming out. I'm checking in the am to see if it is even hooked up to the water supply. Will keep you all informed because there will be many more questions. I checked a few min ago and the freezer is getting cold but not the fridge. I'm thinking freon. Thanks for your help
The fridge is working. Check the frig side in the AM. They don't use freon and can not be charged if they don't work.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
The fridge is working. Check the frig side in the AM. They don't use freon and can not be charged if they don't work.
Thanks, that's good to know.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
On the fridge not working, sometimes it takes a while for those older refrigerators to cool down, and the camper needs to be level for the fridge to work. (I found that out years ago with first camper the hard way)
Thanks that's a load off