Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Can anyone identify the model of this Ford Holiday Rambler?

The manufacture date on the label says 12/77...so I assume it is a 78 but I could be wrong. All I do know is its a class C with the words Ford, Holiday and Rambler haha.

From what manuals/floor plans I have spotted thus far, I can't seem to match the layout tit for tat. The closest I found is a blog written by a kid that partied in it. The outside coloring matched, the interior upholstery was spot on, the only difference I saw was that his kitchen cupboards are white grain but the details are the same. His was a 24'

I don't have the title yet but ideally I plan on restoring her. The inside has been well maintained but I am giving myself a year to get her in prime condition before I drive my kitties around to see some of my bucket list items.

I've read that the light covers can be a pain and expensive but I need to be pointed in the right direction for any part I need to fix or replace.

Any help is much appreciated.

Also I just realized I have no clue how to post a picture... I'll be back
kittykampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Pics

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/meowzasaurusrex/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Hopefully this works and thanks for your help!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Kittykampers and Welcome to the Forum!

Seems like you've already identified the basics.
It is most likely a 1978 Holiday Rambler Class C coach on a Ford E350 van chassis. Keep in mind that the Ford chassis could easily be a 1977 model - this is common. The VIN number would positively identify it and there are VIN decoders in the web to help with that.
Don't worry too much about an "Owner's Manual" for the coach. They usually contain very generic information. Start finding the identification tags for all the appliances and systems, Furnace, fridge, water heater, etc. You should be able to find the service manuals online. This web site should get you started.

Service Documents and Manuals

Best of Luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #4

My parents bought a 1977 T27 (27' Class C with a tag) new. Left the family a few years ago with almost 200,000 miles. A buddy of mine had one like yours. Picked it up not running too well. Replaced the timing chain. Between the emission cam retarded setup and slop, the cam was advanced almost 20°. Really woke it up!

I have an original brochure around. I'll see if I can find it and if it has floorplans and such.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #5

Thanks and an update for you

We popped the hood yesterday to reveal a 494 big block Ford engine. If anyone here can explain that to me like I am 5 years old I would appreciate it. I can't seem to find anything about it on the Internet aside from a few posts about a 69 Mustang.

There was work done on the transmission in '96 and' 08. We think it has been sitting a few years. New radiator, new belts with adequate tension, tires will need to be replaced eventually but are still holding psi. The transmission fluid was sparkling clean, brake fluid a bit thick. We put a new battery in to see if we could get her to turn over to see what needs to be worked on. She tried her hardest but wouldn't stay running for longer than a few seconds. She was bone dry so we didn't bother dropping the gas tank, just added new fuel. I know I will need to replace all consumables but for now we have identified that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. There was an after market holley carburetated fuel pressure regulator, but my mechanic friend said we could bypass rebuilding it by upgrading the fuel pump. I will be towing a SUV crossover with this baby at some point. Will that thingy make a difference? Do I want that contraption?

Thank you for your patience and assistance
Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The engine is most likely a 460 Ford. Where did you get the 494 number?

The fuel pressure regulator could be a good thing if it is working but they were not standard equipment and it may have been installed in an effort to correct a carburetor problem like running too rich. I would get it running good without it first.

Dry gas tank could also mean a rusty gas tank. You'll want a new fuel filter installed along with the new fuel pump. If it still has trouble running smoothly, the carburetor will most likely need to be rebuilt - they get gummed up from sitting.

Oh, and VERY important! Flush out the old brake fluid with new. Be prepared for a possible brake system overhaul. Again, they deteriorate more from sitting than being used.

Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

What Nick said....460.

It had a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block. I suspect someone has added an electric pump near the tank, and a pressure regulator up near the carb. Vapor lock was a problem with the production pump. An electric pump setup was a common fix.

I did find a bunch of old literature. I think yours is a 24RB-LL, or maybe a 22RB-LL. I can't see your pictures anymore, I'd have to look more to figure out exactly. They came in 2 trim levels, 1000 with a silver stripe on the outside, and 5000 with a gold stripe. I need to scan it in so I can post it for you.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

This floorplan chart is for a couple of years newer than yours, but it might be of help. Anything look close to yours?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

Scanned the 1977 Brochure I have. Realized my local scanner is only black and white. Still looks ok for the inner pages with the floorplans.

I'll convert it to a jpg and get it uploaded tonight.

Also realized the Ford chassis models were the 24' ones, they only used the Chevy on the 22', so yours is a 24' model for sure.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 AM   #10

1977 Holiday Rambler Mini-Motorhome Floorplans and Specifications:

I think yours is a 24RB-LL, right?

(Image lost some resolution in the conversion to a .jpg, I'll try to make it better when I switch it to color and get the outside posted too.)

Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #11

Little better resolution, and color

(I could email you the pdf's they are much better resolution.)

Tags
ford, holiday rambler