Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobski12 View Post
OK, finally got a chance to check out the generator again.
The generator still will not stay started, now even with no load at all. Holding the start button, the gen runs, the carb revs a bit, but when I take my finger off of the button, the carb tries to give it full gas and it stalls.
Fuel pump appears to be pumping like crazy. The spark plug looks good. The engine oil was changed in January and is still at full.
The carb and the fuel filter were changed by the previous owner in January due to the same symptoms - I have the receipt. But I'm still leaning toward the carb.
Thoughts?
Bobski12
An Onan that will start but not continue to run when the start button is released has a problem that you may be able to solve by using the troubleshooting guide from Flight Systems, Inc for the model of your generator: https://www.flightsystems.com/troubleshooting/
(My problem turned out to be a faulty voltage regulator).
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #16

It would not have been put away; the camper was used all winter. But I doubt the generator was used much if at all since repair in January.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #17

The carbs are not rebuildable really so you won't go wrong with installing a new one unless you have rotor or stator problems. I would at least visually make sure the rotor looks good. I believe you can actually ohm the stator. If either of those items are bad then you will probably just look for another unit.

I'm not positive but it seems like the motor should run correctly with the start button held in. Yours doesn't so it could be the carb. You may also have another problem that causes it to stop when the button is released. As already stated you should follow the troubleshooting tree from flight systems or onan.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #18

The troubleshooting process will quickly get beyond my simple abilities. I'll have someone take a look.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #19

Have you checked to see if you are loosing the 12 volts to the coil? I had the same issue on my Kohler. I put 12 volts DC on the coil and the generator stayed running. Eventually found a bad relay on the regulating board.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #20

Unless I'm misreading it, Maybe it's the switch, if the carb was gummed up it wouldn't run at all. Sounds like he said it runs if he holds the start button in but quits when he takes his finger off it. Maybe the switch is bad and just grounds it out as if he were hitting the stop side of the switch.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #21

If it were the switch, I've been trying to start it from the switch on the generator. So if it's the switch, would the inside switch maybe work? Can give it a shot.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #22

Did you check oil?

This sounds like an interlock issue so read the troubleshooting guide and check them.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #23

Please reread my earlier post but here's the troubleshooting tree.

Also, the least likely culprit is the switch. Check the oil but that's not likely it either. Onan removed that on many because it was causing problems without being low on oil.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf onan-rv-troubleshooing-guide[1].pdf (2.58 MB, 11 views)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #24

When I got my current MH (88 Southwind) the Onan Genny was in good shape, but had not been run for years...

The general symptom was similar to yours, but with mine, it would start on the button, but only run for 5 seconds or so and stall. I could start it over and over, but with my finger off the button, it would only run for about 5, maybe 10 seconds, and stall. I did this dozens, maybe hundreds of times.

Oil was good, but everything was old.

I tried supplying a steady 12 volts to the small fuel pump at the genny (mine uses fuel from the MH gas tank) and was pleased that it did seem to help, but did not fix...

over time, I got it to run longer and longer by using gas additives to help clean out the carb. I have yet to actually take anything apart, as the more I forced it to run, the better it eventually ran. The more carb cleaner I forced thru with the gas, the better it eventually ran.

The process was slow and frustrating, but patience did win out. The genny is fine now, with no big bills to me, just lots of fiddling.

Lots of people may offer up big repairs. You may need them. But in my case, I got lots of advise to do big repairs, and other great advice to try small repairs.

The key for me was that I believed my genny was essentially okay. It did run for 5 or 10 seconds for me every time.

Of course, each of us describe these thing a bit differently. I am trying to understand the statements you made about it starting with the button pushed. Mine would not start that way, it would spin with the button, but it did not really run, in that the spark plug was not making it spin with the button, but my spark plug did make mine spin for 5 or 10 seconds longer. Yours may be different.

Good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #25

Curiouser and Curiouser

OK, so this morning, after no attempts in a week, I go to start the generator and it fires up, and stays running, on the second try. I turn off the breaker, plug in the MH, and turn on the breaker. It continues to run. I start that AC and it continues to run.

Ran the gen under load for a while; hopefully, it will work next time as well.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Great, I would do as KSagal mentioned, and I would spray some carb cleaner in the carb, and also run a bunch of carb cleaner through with the gas, such as Marvel Mystery Oil, and run the crap out of it! As you found out, generators like to be run, under a load, and should be done at least once a mo. or so! Hope it continues to work great for you! Rail!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Good Advise given from fellow RV'rs but sounds like the carburetor was the likely suspect. I've read other posts that suggest cleaning the carburetor if the generator hasn't been used in awhile.

I've really enjoy reading all the comments and suggestions posted on this forum. The iRV2 website is a very good forum on getting advised from experienced RV'ers.

Tags
generator