Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Can't find the correct alternator

Hello,
I recently bought a 1994 Rockwood 31 foot class A with the Cummins engine.
I need an alternator, the original is gone, and it looks like the original was a 105 amp, 3 spade Delco mounting, which is different than what is used on the Dodge cummins.
If anyone knows which alternator would fit, I would really appreciate the information.
Thanks, Robert

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
rockauto.com and if you don't see it call them, they are more than happy to assist you. I need have to order one for mine.. also.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #3

I know that O'Reily's also has images of parts on their counter computers. Once you know the charging specifications, you can view the pictures to verify what the connections look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
rockauto.com and if you don't see it call them, they are more than happy to assist you. I need have to order one for mine.. also.
Tim
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

Try calling these guys.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/cate...lternators.htm
Old 06-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Or you can have your old one rebuilt ..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Before contacting a alternator supplier you should find out if you have a diode type, battery isolator on your MH.

With diode isolators, the alternator needs a battery voltage sense wire terminal.

Newer MHs use the voltage of the alternators charge wire terminal but isolators block that.

A quick test would be to see if you have power to the large alternator wire.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #7

Thank you for the replies. The original alternator(which I don't have) appeared to use 3 wires,one is taped up now, and the current replacement bad alternator used only 2 of the 3 wires, as the current alternator has only 2 blades.The previous owner had the original alternator go out, and the replacement has the 2 blades.
When I got the motor home it was driven about 800 miles and the alternator went out near the end of the drive. The voltmeter was showing overcharge during the trip (I would load with the air conditioning to try and control) and I discovered later that the 2 house batteries hooked parallel, were bad, one had exploded, and the other would not hold a charge, so I presume the alternator was working hard to charge the bad one and the good battery exploded. I took out the bad house batteries and taped up the house terminal connections. Now when I start up the motor home on the truck battery, the alternator discharges when the lights are turned on.
I have looked at 1993-1995 GM 105 amp alternators, and they appear to have the correct mounting tabs, however, they have 5 blades on the alternator, rather than 3.
It would be great if I could find the original type alternator, I presume Rockwood made the original decision as to what alternator was used.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #8

If you have a isolator, the wrong alt will overcharge and blow up batteries.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #9

yes, possibly they put on the wrong alternator as the motorhome has an isolator with diodes.The extra wire not used might be the sense wire terminal.

Tags
alternator