Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I dont see the old being better than new... actually, the tech and castings havent changed, so the new isnt really better either - unless you talk about the seals, gaskets, ect... However, the Edelbrock is a better carb than the OEM Holley/Motorcraft.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
Hola I'm a ft ready to hit the road again. Motorcraft/Holley carburator tag #
E6JL AB
A7G21
is obsolete i'm told. Any way its off all cleaned up, and now i want to upgrade to a new carb without too much of a hassle. So i can use some advice to help me decide and get going again!
Chuco, do you really know how to ajust a carb? If not, new, used, or rebuilt won't help you. They all have to be adjusted properly to work well. I had my Q-jet done for $65 with the brass sleeves. Worked great.....after I dialed it in. Make sure that you have god plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor
before blaming the carb. how many miles on your MH? Your throttle shafts may be OK. If so, a kit and new floats will get you going for a lot less $$.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What the heck......Perhaps the carb is in good shape and all it needs is a good shot of "Sea foam" and I would say 1 can per 10 gallons of gas...

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Chances are that Motorcraft/Holley is running Rich which is the Floats. The problem with Most rebuilds is the Person doing the Job doesn't know the correct way to Disassemble then Put back All the Parts exactly as they were in the first place. Every "New in Box" Carb that I have ever seen has been worse than the Original regardless of Make Model and serial Number! Sea Foam and Carb cleaners won't refloat a perforated Float.
A Good Carb Guy knows the right way to Repair it , unfortunately too many guys throw Money down the Toilet buying fancy polished Crud that is assembled by Monkeys!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #19

Carb leaked gas

A few things to keep in mind with carburetors - the main difference between a factory type carb and an aftermarket or high performance replacement is that the aftermarket carbs usually offer you more ways to adjust for a specific application than an original carb - the original Motocraft carbs are just as good as the aftermarket and some of them do offer simple adjustments such as length of accelerator pump travel etc. - so it all depends what you the owner want - if you want a carb to bolt on and forget about have the original reconditioned proffesionaly and adjust it according to specs and your on your way - if you want to do some fine tuning then check out what's available from the aftermarket/high performance shops and then have some fun tuning it - Holley, Edelbrock and others not only offer high performance carbs but also stock replacement carbs that will bolt up to the original linkage ( additional brackets or peices may be required in some cases such as adding a bracket to connect the original transmission kickdown cable to the new carb and are available from the aftermarket as well ) so its a matter of personnal choice - one other thing to keep in mind is that in some cases the original casting of the carb body may be damaged from exposure to excessive heat over the years - I have seen this with carb top covers being warped and have to be replaced because they will not clamp down evenly on the gaskets and leak - a professional carb rebuilder will have extra castings on hand and be able to use another part or casting to complete the rebuild - not so very proffesionals will not replace a defective part or casting and this is where you get problems - RV's as well as some other applications are considered heavy duty or severe service and in some cases carb castings, gaskets and seals, and in some cases intake manifolds can crack (usually underneath ) from the severe heat or higher than normal operating temperature and in some of those older RV's air circulation around the engine was very poor and even caused other problems such as warped or cracked exhaust manifolds even with the cooling system in good working shape -let us know what you decide- hope this helps !
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #20

I have the same carb as you on a 89 motorhome. You can go to just about any auto parts store and get Holley part number 3-1346. This is what Holley told me worked my carb. I ordered mine last week from Advance for $45. You can go to this site and get a rebuilt carb for about $170. rebuilt Holley carburetors
Scroll down the page and you look for H4V-5 Holley 600. I think this is the carb you will be needing. I will be rebuilding mine next week.
tdsmith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Everyone thanks so much for helping me to send my carb of to be re-conditioned. I called and talked to Holley Custom Speed Shop, (1801 Russellville Rd., Bowling Green, Ky., 42102) and we decided to get r done by the Holley Pros. After much chasing my tail around on internet looking for parts and kits, fast kits and on and on with every single part you can put on a Holley Carb, like Charlie Browns screams in frustration AAAAAAHHHHHHHH. I was done doing that (being frustrated) and joined the iRV to get help with my moho. Best thing i've done thanks to all the advice. Anyway to make a long story shorter I carefully packed up the "obsolete carb" and mailed it off "Happy B-day to me and Merry X-mas!" It was'nt an all warm and fuzzy feeling though. Holley shuts down 2 weeks for X-mas 6 weeks turnaround so February sometime. It's all good i wont have to Modify anything (which is not a problem I'm a Pipe welder/Ironworker/Towerman) lucky for me, and the carb. So on to my windshield wiper which i can order through Kenworth here in town. i will keep You posted. again Many Thanks
Chuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Next time check out Summit Racing or JEG'S. Holley parts are a dime a dozen in volume, price per unit may vary. I'm glad that I live 14 miles from Los Angeles, "obsolete" parts are plentiful around here.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
This whole learning experience began when my grandson investigated on the net in blazing speed. Then half hour later he told me carb was obsolete according to Ford Enthusiasts website. I'm sixty one years old thirty years older than the mojo but I'm not obsolete.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Carb leaked gas

Hola again
I have good news to report the "Obsolete" Motorcraft/Holley Carb. that leaked gas. I took the good wise advice of yall out there and sent the carb well packed (after dis assembing it completely) to the Pros @ Holley/Custom Shop and let them do a complete restoration! I am so pleased with the end result.
I installed the carb and it hooked right back up without any hassle whatsoever! the best part was when the Vintage frozen MTRHM roared back to life after a few revolutions of the mtr to get some petrol into the carb. The Pros took care of my Problem for me. I now have a brand new carb built by the pros @ HOLLEY. Thanks again Wise PEEPS for the help.
CHUCO
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chuco, Congrats on your total carb rebuild.
May it dial in correctly for your needs and run trouble free for many miles.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote