Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, IMHO the price is right or is it?

Whats inside? How close is the jetting to yours? What size are the air bleeds? What spring is in the power pistons? What material is the float made of? What size is the needle & seat inlet?

See my point now?
Cheap doesn't mean good and when/if you send a carb in to be refurbished the really good carb folk's are going to know everything about the RV down to the weight.....

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #16

on smog test here none over 25 years old even though i always blew super clean im getting ready for the trip spring break down to the coast for 9 days boy its nice to have 5 weeks of vacation
dave

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #17

carb problems

try JET Performance Products, Import & Domestic Performance, Performance Kits, Fuel Systems, Transmissions the rebuild and modify all types of carbs will need weight gear ratio etc don't know about prices but cheaper then new and way better them parts house rebuilds will be your carb better then new
Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #18

My 83 Ambassador came with a new 1989 454, that had an Edelbrock intake, Carter/Edelbrock 600 cfm AFB, and long tube headers added with the new engine. Mine has the same problems you have, climbing hills it has no power, and tries to backfire when under full throttle. I richened both the primary and secondary jets, but haven't been able to try it yet, since I just found both the suction and pressure rubber gas line extensions by the tank are cracked and leaking. I went to Summit and they have a CFM calculator and at 4000 rpm with a VE of 85%, it says that it calls for 557 cfm, so maybe my 600 will work, but I think on grades it still won't supply enough fuel. I will know for certain after I replace the gas lines, and have a non-interrupted flow of fuel. I need to load test the 2 fuel pumps with new fuel lines also, since it doesn't matter what size carb it is if it is not getting constant, reliable fuel pressure. It is a matter of preference, but the AFB has always been a carb that a regular guy can easily work on, and the Quadrajet has always required a saavy mechanic with QJ experience to work on. Note: your factory air cleaner won't fit right with a Carter/Edelbrock (AFB) carb, so it has been modified or is an aftermarket cleaner. I am dropping the tank today and replacing the fuel lines, so I will let you know what happens.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdoc View Post
My 83 Ambassador came with a new 1989 454, that had an Edelbrock intake, Carter/Edelbrock 600 cfm AFB, and long tube headers added with the new engine. Mine has the same problems you have, climbing hills it has no power, and tries to backfire when under full throttle. I richened both the primary and secondary jets, but haven't been able to try it yet, since I just found both the suction and pressure rubber gas line extensions by the tank are cracked and leaking. I went to Summit and they have a CFM calculator and at 4000 rpm with a VE of 85%, it says that it calls for 557 cfm, so maybe my 600 will work, but I think on grades it still won't supply enough fuel. I will know for certain after I replace the gas lines, and have a non-interrupted flow of fuel. I need to load test the 2 fuel pumps with new fuel lines also, since it doesn't matter what size carb it is if it is not getting constant, reliable fuel pressure. It is a matter of preference, but the AFB has always been a carb that a regular guy can easily work on, and the Quadrajet has always required a saavy mechanic with QJ experience to work on. Note: your factory air cleaner won't fit right with a Carter/Edelbrock (AFB) carb, so it has been modified or is an aftermarket cleaner. I am dropping the tank today and replacing the fuel lines, so I will let you know what happens.
The "Stock" air cleaner will fit......Just need a 3/4 inch or taller spacer to seperate the A/C to the carb plus a slightly longer hold down rod....
That combo will clear the fuel inlet hump on the carb.

Main reason you have a lack of power in the hill climbs is in the poor ignition setup....
Base (factory settings) are 4 @750 RPM and the best I've ever seen out the the mechanical advance is 16 which hands you a 20 total advance which is sick.....

Best to change out the ignition center & weights to a 375 center & 41 weights and that combo will crank out 22 mechanical advance....

Next is advance the base timing to around 10 and with the combined mod's you will be flying over the hills with very little struggles.

You will hafta cut back the vacuum advance to 10 inwhich you can either purchase or preform the work on the slide yourself.. (.100 thousand) of movement should get you into the 10 area....

Now lets review the stock VS modified ~stuff~.
(Stock) is 4 base & 16 mechanical plus around 25 on the vacuum advance for a grand (sick) total of 45 lite footing it down the flat ground.

Modified is 10 base & 22 plus the vacuum advance of 10 for the grand total of 42 on the flat & level......Remember one thng...YOU HAVE NO vacuum advance while climbing hills.....

Now other then that I'll bet your going to "Relean" out your carb once the ignition is properly setup...

Jim
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #20

jim helped me with this i average 8 mpg pulling a 4 door chevy truck
dave
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
jim helped me with this i average 8 mpg pulling a 4 door chevy truck
dave
Hi Dave.
5 weeks of vacation hasta be nice
One person called me and said while traveling down the super slab (flat road) his engine really pinged, He forgot to limit his vacuum advance so my guess at road speed his ignition advance was probably around +55 or more....

What hitch do you have to pull that big truck?

Jim
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #22

stock reciever i beefed up tied into spair tire mount im using a dolly with brakes. forgot to say 1 month sick. going to spend most of it on the coast
best of all 5 months of child support
dave
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Have you checked the Edelbrock Q jet model?? That is what i used on my 454! Wow on performance and got better MPG. Now it was checked out thru emissions and ran cleaner with the new carb and passed! I don't remember what the model number is now..I have the book here somewhere but because i am tearing out old junk and putting in new i am not to sure where the book is. I got mine at Checker Auto. I think it was around $200.00.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #24

Put the QJ in front of one semi wheel, and the Edelbrock in front of the other, pull up and back a dozen times and those carbs will be FIXED.

theyre both junk.

What that engine needs since 1984, or itll NEVER run right is this:

1.) R/R intake manifold, resurface head/manifold junctions (I did them by hand, not much warpage, but it doesnt take much to leak either)
2.) Holley (much easier to tune than the Quadra-Junk)
3.) most importantly, a TOTAL IGNITION SYSTEM REBUILD, especially the WIRING. The wiring from the coil to the module and pickup is JUNK by now.

I did all this on a 78 Blazer with a 91 engine that didnt run worth a hoot, and now it literally runs like a new one, but messing around with ONE of the above is not enough.
It runs so well it fires off and produces water out the exhaust (stoichometrically perfect combustion - water and CO2). It starts so easily in warm weather that its running before I can get the key all the way up on the spring.

the manifold and head work (heads didnt come off) was so good that its sealed so well that the carb had both accelerator pumps removed, and the 6210 emissions carb that Holley says wont work, does.

Its impossible that the manifold flanges seal by now, and itll never run properly with flange leaks.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecampbell View Post

1.) R/R intake manifold, resurface head/manifold junctions (I did them by hand, not much warpage, but it doesnt take much to leak either)
2.) Holley (much easier to tune than the Quadra-Junk)
3.) most importantly, a TOTAL IGNITION SYSTEM REBUILD, especially the WIRING. The wiring from the coil to the module and pickup is JUNK by now.
#2 is where you've gone wrong.

The Holley is delicate, prone to backfire damage, has a lot of gaskets below the fuel level (possibilities of leaking), and is a bear to tune, although if you get it tuned, it will run great...until the next backfire.

I started out with a Holley on my hot rod. Futzed around with it for almost 2 months. No one could get it running right. Took it off, gave it away, and put an out-of-the-box Edlebrock 1406 with manual choke on it. Started right up on the first try, and has had precious little tuning since then (leaned it out a little).

Now, a Demon, or one of the other Holley copies, with the Holley weaknesses corrected, might be a great idea.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
The Carter/Edelbrock 600 cfm AFB properly tuned is more than enought carb for the 454. There are easy to tune and pretty much bullet proof, if you know what you are doing. Quadrajet are prone to vacum leaks at the throttle shafts and are a pain to rebuild(too many parts). Holley's floats are hard to keep adjusted and the metering plates leak (has gotten better since rubber gaskets). Due to inexperience and "bigger is better" people "over carb" there engines. One thing that needs to be done a good dual plane intake and a upgrade/check of the hei iginition system and a good mechanical fuel pump.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
The Carter/Edelbrock 600 cfm AFB properly tuned is more than enought carb for the 454. There are easy to tune and pretty much bullet proof, if you know what you are doing. Quadrajet are prone to vacum leaks at the throttle shafts and are a pain to rebuild(too many parts). Holley's floats are hard to keep adjusted and the metering plates leak (has gotten better since rubber gaskets). Due to inexperience and "bigger is better" people "over carb" there engines. One thing that needs to be done a good dual plane intake and a upgrade/check of the hei iginition system and a good mechanical fuel pump.
Amen brother

Jim
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #28

wreckenman

your best bet is to rebuild your old carb and keep the same jet size. you could have a problem with a crack in one of the rubber fuel lines sucking air when under high rpm. mine did the same thing and thats how i solved the problem,