Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with what Palehorse said. They should be disabled when you put your car in drive and not come back on until you put it in park.

I have a metal plate, 4 screws, and donor bone in my neck because of someone on a cell phone. I was stopped at a stop sign and got broadsided.

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
I agree with what Palehorse said. They should be disabled when you put your car in drive and not come back on until you put it in park.

I have a metal plate, 4 screws, and donor bone in my neck because of someone on a cell phone. I was stopped at a stop sign and got broadsided.
First off, I am sorry about your experience with someone being irresponsible. Most phones these days are capable of being completely hands free including dialing and answering. In cases like that I have no particular issue with cell phones. It is akin to my way of thinking of having a conversation with someone sitting next to you in the vehicle. The problem comes when people starting picking up the device to look at something instead of the road. In my jurisdiction, all a police officer needs to see is someone holding the phone while driving. That is enough for them to issue a ticket even if it isn't on.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #17

Having an accident and causing a fatality while using a phone, GPS or playing with the dash computer should be a mandatory felony with jail time. As a former biker I detest these drivers since there have been plenty of biker killed because of this practice. I never use any of these contraptions. Only once have I had to use some ones GPS and very distracted,never again. As to cell phones there is no ph call worth some ones life.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltooledup View Post
...The problem lies in the fact that texting is worse than impaired driving. During our recent renovation of I 65 many people have been killed by rear end collisions. The signage was minimalist. A road construction sign 60 miles prior to the backup over the hill was not helpful. I believe that the signage specs were lessened in recent times. ...
Why would there need to be construction warning signs on I65? Everyone knows I65 is always under construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
There are several remedies available, one already mentioned where the phone is disabled while the vehicle is moving. They already have that technology feature in alot of the factory installed navigation systems. There needs to be more pressure put on the cell phone manufacturers to incorporate this technology in cell phones, and if somebody finds a way to override it, then the citation could become a misdemeanor rather than an infraction. Unfortunately this will not change until someone important is affected and something like MADD comes out of it.
So how does the technology differentiate between the driver using the phone and the passenger? Should my wife not be allowed to research our next stop on our vacation while in motion. Should my daughter not be allowed to do her homework in the back of the motorhome while I'm driving?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

What's left of my son's car when he was stopped and waiting to turn left into our driveway and was hit from behind by a woman texting with her two little kids in the car with her. He was pushed into the oncoming lane where another car hit him head on.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
And... while we're on the subject, how about the CA LEO that was working on his computer while driving and killed a cyclist (bicycle) that was obeying all laws. DA refused to press charges against the LEO. I believe that means it is open season for LEO's to wipe out all cyclists, correct??

The problem, IMHO, is that most people are barely capable of operating a motor vehicle. Toss in a distraction (any) and bad things start happing real quick.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post

What's left of my son's car when he was stopped and waiting to turn left into our driveway and was hit from behind by a woman texting
Wow! That is very scary! Makes me want to drive a APC.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
In this state they are in the process of making any hands on operation of a cell phone or similar device a moving violation and will appear on your driving record for your insurance co. to see and jacking up the fines a lot.
You need to caution them.. If they are not careful writing that law they can do some serious damage.

2-Way Radio (police, fire, ems, taxi, ham radio, Tow Trucks and the like) is not like cell phones... BIG difference, as two of us have already stated.

Ham Radio (And most of those I listed) are part of Homeland Security by the way.. This is important, We protect you.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
To all of you who want the phone disabled ...If your phone is disabled when in motion what about the passengers ... There is no way to differentiate the passinger from the driver! What about while your on a bus ? Train ? Your moving so phone would be disabled !
How about personal responsibility and holding people responsible ? Since distractions are a problem then why not no radio , no conversation with the passenger ,no coffee or snaks .. Just eyes forward and drive. Texting and playing with the phone I agree is too distracting especially in city traffic but some " distraction " keeps you more Alert, the radio, a cup of coffee. Etc
The good news is the auto driving car will soon be here to stop distracted driving with a computer that is not distracted and a thousand times more reactive than us humans ;-)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
The good news is the auto driving car will soon be here to stop distracted driving with a computer that is not distracted and a thousand times more reactive than us humans ;-)
Not sure I would trust that, but having auto braking or at least audible warning of eminent danger is much more viable.

The best thing is what happens without regulation. No one is forcing manufacturers to install these safety features, but they are starting to be introduced. Hopefully it will take off on its own merit.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:11 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Been there done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Wow! That is very scary! Makes me want to drive a APC.
When in the USAR and a member of the 597th Transportation Company we used to drive Korean war era APC down I 80 to go to our practice area about 30 miles away. These were the all aluminnum models with 2 GMC sixes one on each side behind the seats we would be sitting there in the dark motoring along about 45 mph and listening to the tires squealing and horns honking Ah to be young again. No one ever got hurt but it was kind of scary.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Old Radios I hope that your son was not injured in this crash. The photos show how serious driving a car is.
My wife has been hit 2 times while stopped for a traffic light. The most recent accident she saw the girl talking on the phone. The kid was a new driver and was very sorry. There was minor property damage but years later when we traded the car in it showed up on carfax.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Some studies or Articles

True Or False: Hands-Free Calls Are Safer Than Hand-Held?

A big hard to understand study that to my eyes looks like a whitewash. How they picked the volunteers is not stated and they knew they were being studied so very well might have been on good behavior or recruited for their ability to multitask. http://www.distraction.gov/downloads...event-risk.pdf This is all very scientific and I confess I did just skim through it.

The part about using turn signals while doing lane changes gives it away for me. The people I see driving are using all lanes and the sholder and their speed varies greatly. It is mentioned that the people speed up after the call which I see all the time after they have slowed to 45 in a 70 and I am caught behind them waiting to get rear ended while the more nimble traffic blows by us. When you pass these people they just pass you after the call and then it starts all over with the next call they recieve.

Here is antother link and curious to me this one draws very different conclusions.
http://www.nsc.org/learn/NSC-Initiat...the-brain.aspx National Safety Council and National Highway Traffic Safety Council are two different animal and each has a mind of its own.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
This is how "Sad" things have gotten with these phones N.Y. signs off on 'texting zones' for highway drivers , in my travels last night on I-86 in New York state, the rest area that has been there forever had been re-named "Texting Area"
I can't believe how irresponsible people are! How did the world/generation's before us ever survive/live without them? So now, when I need to streach/relieve myself while traveling, I have to look for a "Texting Area"! Should not be a problem finding a parking spot.......people still will not use them! They will still be used for/as a rest area......as they all have for a long time, just with a new name......SAD!