Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #43
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
As has been stated, it is not just cell phones. Many years ago I was was a BMW/HD/Honda motorcycle mechanic. While on a test ride I had a cad drift over the line into my lane. I did not have much room, but was able to avoid the light blue mid-90s Ford Taurus. Looking at the driver, I was AMAZED to see he was playing a trumpet while driving. I am a pretty easy going guy, but it was all I could to to not kick his door!!!!
Oh, do /not/ get me started!

Driving back home was easy and relaxing. Out here? Nerve-wracking! I have dodged people doing some damnedfoolish things behind the wheel (the topper, I think, was a woman SHAVING HER LEGS - yes, with foam and a cartridge razor! - /on/ /the/ /bloody/ /highway/!) and an amazing array of stuff that has flown out of the back of pickup trucks (ever watch a lawnmower catch a bounce in front of you, and you have to make a flash decision to brake, swerve, or speed under the thing? (The correct answer, in that case, was speed up and go under.) Or run over a mattress. Or swerve around a refrigerator. Or ...

Driving ain't any fun anymore, until I get over the California state line into Arizona or Nevada (Oregon's getting infested with incompetent Yuppies as well - and I don't trust people that don't trust me. In thirty years, the amount of gasoline I've spilled might alter the taste of a cup of coffee, I think I know how to dispense my own fuel. I think I'd more appreciate the pump jockeys if I had the opportunity to refuse the service. I don't like being forced to accept help - I prefer being offered the option.

Yeah, it's not just cellphones - but that's the primary symptom. There's also the deterioration in primary driver training that must be corrected. Frankly, I think driver training has degraded to the point where student drivers are just tossed a ring of keys with a "She'll be right, mate!" and they're off and running.

It's a wonder I don't have ulcers running. Perhaps because I'm so creatively profane, in several languages?

JDKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #44
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Larry, you have it all....well almost. Where is the lane guidance radar? Or the automatically applied braking system? You would think someone who almost has it all would go for the top. Like, why don't you have all of your "toys" project their images onto the windshield for a heads-up display
My 16 year old MH doesn't have any of those. Even the cruise control quit working years ago. It does have heated rear view mirrors. But I have never driven it anyplace with below 32, to even try them out.

My new Toad does have the lane guidance radar, automatically applied braking system on cruise control,Dial numbers and answer calls without picking up my phone. my contacts were download automatically, I can request music from favorite sources, including my MP3 player, phone, USB or SD card, then I achieve auditory bliss through 16 speakers, Istate a street address, and the Navigation System will direct me to my destination, even while en route.

Equipped with radar,ultrasonic sensing and miniature cameras, it can help detect certain things that I can't. For instance, it can alert me to objects in my blind spots.An audible alert system can help warn if traffic is crossing the path behind me.In tight areas and parking lots, it displays guidelines and full-color images from the rear to assist me in backing up, even watches for lane drift, then offers a gentle nudge or shudders the steering wheel to alert me to steer back toward the middle of my lane.

It also has active park assist that I haven't needed to try yet.

The traction control system helps avoid drive wheel spin and loss of
If my vehicle begins to slide, the system applies the brakes to individual
wheels and, when needed, reduces engine power at the same time. If the
wheels spin when accelerating on slippery or loose surfaces, the system
reduces engine power in order to increase traction.

I do like to use the Seat cushion & Back massage in both ac cool/heated front seat.

OH!! The
only images onto the windshield for a heads-up display. Is if a collision with a object ahead may be possible. Then a long strip of blinking RED lights show up with loud sound warning.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001alt.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	87601  

99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #45
Holy mackerel, and to think my first car didn't even have a AM Radio! I used a brand newfangled radio called a AM transistor radio and set it on the dashboard playing tunes while we drove with one arm out the window (no air conditioning) and one arm around my girl . We thought we were in hog heaven! I know I was happy, the car had bench seats! Both front and rear!

My Dad must have been very worried about distracted driving with me using that transistor radio, just as much as we are today with the cell phones. He would always warn me as I was getting ready to go get Candy for a date at the drive in movies to "watch where you put your hands and concentrate on your driving". I know he was worried about changing channels while I was driving, Right?

You don't purposely drive in below 32 degree temperatures? Shoot even Frostproof, Florida has freezing temperatures! Do you just drive around in Key West all the time?

Enjoy the warmth where ever you are Larry. We are currently at 40 degrees and rain, but tomorrow it is going down to the low 20's again and maybe 8 inches of snow! Oh where oh where is spring?

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote