Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Champion Cabaret

I truly apologize if this is any way redundant. I also want to add I am a rank amateur in the RV hobby/lifestyle, and obviously very new to this community- so please bear with me.

I have scoured the interwebs for info on anything "Champion" and especially the "Cabaret" model... and other than the references to the Champion Fleet Owners site I find very little to nothing.

*Side note: I registered over at that site 2 weeks ago and have not been approved or received any response... I think the site is dead? Supposed to be manuals there... but I cannot get in to find out. I am still "Waiting on Admins Approval"

So... I seek documentation, information, consultation, and a situation where I may prevent my exacerbation in this great nation of motorhome creation....'er, something like that.

If you read my intro, you will see I have a 1990 Champion Cabaret. Built on a Chevy P 30 Chassis, and running a 454. 30 amp electric (with a bunk ATS now bypassed [wow- what a learning experience that was])

I have the appliance manuals from the manufacturer for basically everything- I have the pink sheets that came with the MH that have the check offs of what was put on. I know that formal documentation is slim to nil and I may have everything that originally came with the Class A, but what I do not have is anecdotal stories and info from owners... are these things so crappy nobody bought them? I know the company is now gone... so whats the story morning glory? What say you'se folks about Champion and the Cabaret in particular... do I need a good lemonade recipe?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! don't know anything about your rig other than the P30 part. Read up on all the posts concerning the autoparkbrake, see what version you have and buy extra switches so you save thousands doing a quick fix your self instead of paying someone else. Also, on the files section of this site you will find many good downloadable files for the generator, and other systems. Try to put your questions in the correct forum if you know which fits best otherwise, search the forums using the search tool, read, ask questions and enjoy your new coach

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Hiway and Welcome to the Forum!

If you have the appliance manuals and the build sheet, you have more than most folks do with an older coach.

The old Champions were (as I've heard) well built so I don't think you'll need any more lemonade than say a 1990 Winnebago owner. The P30 chassis were the same and the appliances were all the same so the differences will be in coach construction.

Champions were more common back in the late 70's and early 80's and I'm kinda surprised that they were still in production in 1990. Might have been the last year they made them. Hopefully someone in the Fleet Owners site will wake up and give you access.

I did a quick Google Images search for 1990 Champion Cabaret and found this pic:

Who knows - maybe it is yours?!?
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Nope! Not mine, lol! (although the pic looks very familiar)

Yes- and I really had hoped there were a few still rolling with owners members here. Ah well.

I have given up on that other place... they seem to be stalled as an online resource or presence.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Champion has been owned by a number of companies over the years, We had a champion manufactured by Firan. I believe Forest river was involved in there at one time.

Ken
Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We owned a 33 foot 1986 Champion RV from 1996 to 2000. It was a great little RV. It had twin beds in the rear BR. It had a couch, two swivle seats, dinette, and as a bonus, it had a pull down double bed over the driver/psgr area. All in all... would sleep 8 and the family that purchased it from us loved that (they had 6 kids...). It was 10 years old when we acquired it and never gave us much trouble. The next owner kept it running relatively problem free for another 10 years. I guess they built them well.

We did not have many manuals but we just managed to fix things as we went along.

I do not think that I could begin to tinker with our 2005 Revolution without extensive documentation and help, so that tells you something about the repairability and reliability of some of the older models...

Have fun and enjoy..!!!
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi we just bought our Champion LaSalle 1999. I think. ( tired). Same as you with info. My onan just crapped out. And i need tires etc. It seems well made overall. I'm new to all this and in hindsight would not have bought an"orphan". Just let me know if I can help. I will try.
That Champion owners site seems dead to me.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Champion has been owned by a number of companies over the years, We had a champion manufactured by Firan. I believe Forest river was involved in there at one time.

Ken
I'm guessing the "TX" is for transmit? If so...your coming in loud and clear mate! Thanks for the cross reference for scroogle searches. (if your curious- ask me about "scroogle" via PM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
We owned a 33 foot 1986 Champion RV from 1996 to 2000. It was a great little RV. It had twin beds in the rear BR. It had a couch, two swivle seats, dinette, and as a bonus, it had a pull down double bed over the driver/psgr area. All in all... would sleep 8 and the family that purchased it from us loved that (they had 6 kids...). It was 10 years old when we acquired it and never gave us much trouble. The next owner kept it running relatively problem free for another 10 years. I guess they built them well.

We did not have many manuals but we just managed to fix things as we went along.

I do not think that I could begin to tinker with our 2005 Revolution without extensive documentation and help, so that tells you something about the repairability and reliability of some of the older models...

Have fun and enjoy..!!!
Appreciated!

I do have a very "solid" feel about this coach. I can tell the gear is all outdated- but yet not so much that it isn't still very serviceable. I am finding strange issues that are the direct result of poor or no maintenance- the Automatic Transfer Switch was my first education- I have it bypassed currently as it is pretty much a moot device- I can upgrade that with a newer model that will include the new power inverter (inexpensive Square Wave deal thing) connection- so I am debating that $66 part. (not too bad) I also am trying to figure out why my fridge wants to pop the house circuit (panel at my house) when I plug in the shore power and try and fire it up via "Electric" (it also operates by gas, but I have not checked anything gas powered yet.

The good news- only 25,000 miles on the bus- I bought it from the original owners and it now seems as though all documentation that ever came with it is there and accounted for. (This means I have the appliance docs for this specific model and will be happy to share if anyone ever needs them- I will try and list the specific models of appliances and options here in this thread eventually- with pics [my cam is busted and I am currently photo-challenged])

All 12 volt lighting works- the rooftop ac unit is perfect- the receptacles all work- the water system works (on board potable is not checked yet, nor is the hot water heater [6 gallon- YIKES!]) the windows all move without too much effort- I pressure washed the beast and all the grime is gone, but the UV damage to the paint is terrible and the stripes are real bad... all the bin door holders are broken and there are many, many little chips, dings, and imperfections on the outside. There is a serious leak at the roof seam, and the bulkhead is ruined, as are the speakers and integrity of the ceiling there... but it is all relatively easy to repair.

The interior is amazingly clean- once I popped the beds open and got into the cracks and crevices under things and found the nooks and crannies- the carpet looks brand new (so does everywhere else that sun or foot traffic didn't touch) and all the plumbing and fittings look shiny and new (except for the shower) and the cabinets are perfect. For all intensive purposes, it is stunning for 20 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer594 View Post
Hi we just bought our Champion LaSalle 1999. I think. ( tired). Same as you with info. My onan just crapped out. And i need tires etc. It seems well made overall. I'm new to all this and in hindsight would not have bought an"orphan". Just let me know if I can help. I will try.
That Champion owners site seems dead to me.
Yes- and if I can assist... just holler. I think there is just no interest in the other site. I was actually hesitant to start a thread since I just joined here and am so new (I moderate elsewhere, and I hate redundant threads and wasted server space) ...but since this is titled so specific I am now sort of glad and I searched for anything that was like this before beginning.

The fact is- I solved my ATS problem by lurking here and reading about a different owner's problem on a totally different make and model... but the fact is troubleshooting is as much about anecdotal evidence and experience as anything else... and a social networking forum that is exclusive to what you are TS'ing is the best place to find answers in my experience.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #9

Ultrastar by Champion

Hello there ...

I too have just puchase a Champion (Ultrastar) 30 ft , And did not receive any manuals at all.Like you I have tried to get information from that site , and they have not registered me also ..as you say maybe they have gone offfffffffffff line
I have found most things by playing with light etc. But can not find the control for driver power seat ?

Any info . you could provide would sure be appreciated !!!!

andersoi@telus.net

Thanks a bunch !
Ian A
Old 10-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Hello there ...

I too have just puchase a Champion (Ultrastar) 30 ft , And did not receive any manuals at all.Like you I have tried to get information from that site , and they have not registered me also ..as you say maybe they have gone offfffffffffff line
I have found most things by playing with light etc. But can not find the control for driver power seat ?

Any info . you could provide would sure be appreciated !!!!

andersoi@telus.net

Thanks a bunch !
Ian A
Hi, Ian

There's actually a (small, but select!) group of Ultrastar owners, too- if you're unfamiliar with their site, it's at this link:index

Francesca
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The TX is not for transmit....I am a native Texas ....thus TX and in the refrigeration business...making ice among other things....so TXiceman

ken