Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

Charging Question

Hey All,

I am almost finished winter shopping for the camper. I got a few items..

Progressive Dynamics PD4590 90A Converter/Charger
Sure Power bi-directional Isolation relay
Renogy Mono 100w Solar panel and MPPT Controller
Renogy Remote status Panel for Controller

If all / Any of these devices were charging at the same time would this cause any conflicts.

If the solar panels are charging the Rear Batts... Would the Iso Relay detect the charge and link the front batt ?

Any suggestions ? Comments ? Thoughts ?

Looking for input before the Spring Install.
BadLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Why not install a relay that would detect power from the Converter/Charger and disconnect the solar array? It's not needed if connected to shore power and would prevent any conflicts between the two.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 AM   #3

All can charge at same time, without conflicts.

The iso relay detects voltage, don`t care what makes it. It will connect,

You list a 90 amp charger. That is a big charger, so I assume you have a large batt. bank. Are you only putting 100 watts of solar? Maybe as a battery tender, when stored?

Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Why not install a relay that would detect power from the Converter/Charger and disconnect the solar array? It's not needed if connected to shore power and would prevent any conflicts between the two.

Good idea. Thank you
Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
All can charge at same time, without conflicts.

The iso relay detects voltage, don`t care what makes it. It will connect,

You list a 90 amp charger. That is a big charger, so I assume you have a large batt. bank. Are you only putting 100 watts of solar? Maybe as a battery tender, when stored?

Good luck
No conflicts expected is what I was hoping to hear..

Iso relay - I may install a disconnect switch then, I would prefer it to be "Mostly" used for charging that rear batts but would like the option to work either way... your thoughts ??

Converter/Charger - Yes, 90 Amps.. I couldnt see the value in cheaping out on the converter/charger, It was "used but never installed" when I bought it off ebay.. it was a good deal, If i remember correctly it was closely priced to a "new never installed" 60 amp model by PD, Figured it cant hurt...

Battery bank for now is 2 group 29 Deep cycle batts.. to be upgraded when they are dead.. Not knowing what I really wanted/needed I got them a few months ago.

Solar - Yes, 100 Watts. I never used solar power before and I was informed that it can be expanded by adding additional solar panels up to the Amp rating of the Charge converter providing that i have the "Roof real estate".. only 24ft and there is a cargo carrier on the roof too. Yes for storage and any other time..

If I remember ohms law correctly, 100W @ 12V = 8.3 A ???
Im sure there will be some other influances, The charge controller will draw some and the V will not be a constant 12V ect..

I was concerned about "back feeding" into the solar and other issues. I am aware that DC will not produce a Sine that could be out of phase when running several charging systems like AC, I wanted to get the opinions of Vetern RVers as I am still new..

Considering my current Batt size..
What would you consider a good Solar Wattage amount for the camper?

Considering my future Batt upgrade ( Trojan t-105 )...
what would you consider a good solar wattage amount for the camper ?

Thank You !!!!! Your input and suggestions are valued, If it wasnt for you guys I would be lost !!

Thanks Again !
Old 02-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

A battety will not charge at 12 volts, a better calculation would be 100 watts / 13.5 volts = 7.4 amps.

I don`t know your iso relay, but the one I use cuts in at 13.2 volts, so if your solar is hooked to your house bank, it will charge them up, before connecting to other batteries.

How much solar, depends on your use. If you use half of you battery capacity, a guess of 100 amp hours a day, you need ( ? ) watts / 13.5 volts X 5 .5 hours, of average sunlight a day, to equal 100 amp hours. That comes out right around 250 watts of solar.

If you need to run your generator anyway, you can figure that in also, getting most of your recharging, by running it for 1 hour @ 90 amps.

This is all ballpark figures.

This stuff is fun.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #7

Ok, thank you.

I forgot about needing more than 12v to charge.

I have the bi-directional relay, here are the specs:

http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_1314_200_Battery_Separator_p/sp-1314-200.htm

I will probably run the generator for about 2 hours per day ( + / - )... once in the morning for coffee and again at night to charge up for the night..( using fridge that will consume a little 12v for the electronics when on LP) and should I need the furnace

Thanks so much ! If you have any more thoughts.. Please share, yes a fun thing indeed !!!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #8

I added a 1000 watt sinewave inverter, so I could have coffee without the noise. Since it`t there, I use it for TV at nignt too.

I have 300 watts solar and 2 gc2 batteries. Don`t run the generator, some days at all.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

That sounds great! I think you just added a few things to my shopping list..

Can you tell me about your inverter ?
Brand model options ?

After reading the specs it looks like my ISO relay and yours are Similiar

Your solar .. Mono or poly ?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #10

I built my setup on the fly, being a full timer, between my boat and MH.

I have the same panels and controller as you, from Amazon.

I picked up a Xantrex sinewave 1000 watt inverter, from West Marine, after using a noisey 800 watt Harbor freight one.

A few weeks later, I picked up an auto transfer switch, again from West Marine, and wired that in.

I tried to save a little propane by running the fridge, on inverter during the day, but it uses 350 watts, and I only have 300 watts of solar up there.

More solar comming.

Enjoy

Tags
charging