Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #1

Chassis rustproofing

In the continued renovation/ freshen up of our 1987 bounder I have been looking at the John Deere chassis & the wooden underside of the basement storage/floor.

The chassis just needs a wire brush or just a good covering of rust stopping paint & the wood has what must be the original black covering.This has all dried out & cracked,the wood still in relatively sound condition. Just out of curiosity what sort of paint would you recommend to cover the underside of our "Beast" ? Both chassis and wood will need to be covered.

Also going to be painting the inside walls and cupboards to brighten it up ,is there any particular paint thats ideal to cover the original walls/covering? Was thinking of a light key and then use the paint/primer combo paint from home depot.

After sorting out a water heater cold water inlet joint and toilet feed leak the front of the wardrobe will be remade (wood damp & getting rotten at the bottom from leak),then onto making a new dinette both set. Cant afford a new one!

Once done pictures to follow on our progress!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #2

I would check at the depot for some rustolium paint for underneath. I used a no voc paint and primer from lowes I think the brand name is olympic. I would also rent a paint sprayer it makes thing so much easyer. Sounds like fun. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I'd actually suggest coating your undercarriage in a Herculiner or Rhino-liner like material as it'll hold up better than paint to road spray.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies and advice. Will look into both soon as wanting to get it protected for the journey and just sitting around.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Thanks for the replies and advice. Will look into both soon as wanting to get it protected for the journey and just sitting around.
POR15 is what you need for rust. It's not cheap, but it's the best. If the painted area will be exposed to the sun, then you'll need to paint over the POR15. If it's not exposed to sun, then you're good to go.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #6

piezzi is correct; POR 15 is used worldwide by car restorers, and can be brushed. While POR-15 can be messy and hard to get off you hands, it really works. Using a bedliner spray will likely get the stuff all over places and things you don't need to be covered. Sort of like the old tar-based automotive undercoating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezzi View Post
POR15 is what you need for rust. It's not cheap, but it's the best. If the painted area will be exposed to the sun, then you'll need to paint over the POR15. If it's not exposed to sun, then you're good to go.

Good luck!
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
POR-15 is a good to great product but please wear LONG gloves and keep it off of your skin.....
Eastwood products supplies it along with other newly developed rust killer products that are very interesting "Eastwood .com" will open up their catalog.

Jim
Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #8

piezzi is correct; POR 15 is used worldwide by car restorers, and can be brushed. While POR-15 can be messy and hard to get off you hands, it really works. Using a bedliner spray will likely get the stuff all over places and things you don't need to be covered. Sort of like the old tar-based automotive undercoating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezzi View Post

Good luck!
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Actually herculiner (available at walmart) can be brushed/rolled on. I have a car with that old fashioned underliner on it, surprisingly, that under coating is still in the same shape it was back in 85 with the exception of a couple spots in the wheel wells where it was knocked off my a tire throwing its tread.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #10

The POR15 worked great for my engine compartment when I had the radiator out and gained access. I also used it to coat my cockpit floor when I refurbished my 23' Wini Brave's interior. Once the POR15 was painted and dried on the cockpit floor, I painted a coat of the bedliner paint on top of it for a little extra sound proofing, and then covered it with carpet. I've got a lot of under carriage components I'll be POR15'ing in the weeks/months to come, and besides being a great rust preventer, a little of the POR15 goes a long way with it's thin consistency.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #11

Have heard about POR15 in the past in relation to classic cars before, sounds like it could be the way to go along with possibly that herculiner stuff mentioned too.

Does POR15 need a top coat of paint or underseal on it? Say with rustoleum or something like it...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Does POR15 need a top coat of paint or underseal on it? Say with rustoleum or something like it...
No underseal is needed and a top coat will only be required for areas exposed to the sun.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #13

For wood, especially when used outdoors, exposed to the elements, I always apply a good coat of boiled Linseed Oil, mixed with about 30% conventional wood preserver, such as Waterseal - with all the usual pre-application chores as to thoroughly wire-brushing to remove loose coatings and maximize exposure to the new coating. Once coated and allowed to soak in and dry, any preferred final coat can be applied - tho' it's not really needed if the Linseed Oil mix has been well applied...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote