Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
How about a motorcycle salvage yard for a muffler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tims52ford View Post
Does your original muffler have a spark arrestor in it?
Yes
There you go. A motorcycle salvage yard will have mufflers with spark arrestors.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #16

As far as I can tell, mine does not come stock with one. From what I can see, it comes down, makes a 90 and heads straight towards mexico.

My Yamaha 2000 has a 1/4" disk that looks like the coursest piece of steel wool you could find.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #17

look on the bottom of the mufler if you see a pipe plug you have a spark arrestor i acidently took the plug off in a misshap i have temporaly mig welded a patch over the area i agree sometimes they are on ebay around $50 i plan on going to a muffler shop i use and have one modified and run out the back then modify the slide mount
Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclowes View Post
Do you have anything constructive or helpful to add to this thread? Personal attacks are not appreciated. Take it to PM please.

A muffler IS just a muffler. A device that redirects exhaust flow through a series of baffles to dampen output noise and keep compression at optimum level so as not to lose horsepower.

Perhaps I was too vague. Any muffler of the right size will work. ie: having 1" pipe and small enough to fit the application. I wouldn't take the muffler on my Kohler and put it on the 454 on the RV, and vice versa.
Right on
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #19

How's it coming on the muffler Chief?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
look on the bottom of the mufler if you see a pipe plug you have a spark arrestor i acidently took the plug off in a misshap i have temporaly mig welded a patch over the area i agree sometimes they are on ebay around $50 i plan on going to a muffler shop i use and have one modified and run out the back then modify the slide mount
My pipe plug is over 3' off the ground and up in a rectangular area. How could you accidentally take one off if it is anything similar to mine? Mine comes down to a flange then makes a 90 out the side with a support clamp. I have enough room to add another 12" muffler if I want to make it even quieter.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #21

Check with your local Cummings dealer. They work on Onan generators and carry parts. I bought a muffler about 1 1/2 years ago. If I remember right it cost a little less than $50. It was an original equipment.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #22

Gonna check with AZ and NAPA to see if they have anything small enough.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When I went to measure the diameter of the exhaust pipe (to make sure the replacement muffler I wanted to order would fit) I discovered the muffler had been welded on, and the muffler had in fact torn off about 2 inches below the join. Something (spark arrestor? coarse wire stuff) is showing in the torn part which I guess I'll have to cut off with the sawzall, if I can get in in there.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #24

I certainly understand wanting a less expensive muffler but will the less expensive ones deaden the sound like the Onan muffler? Probably won't know the answer to than until it is installed. That quieter sound is worth a lot in my opinion.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #25

I was thinking about adding a second one after the 90 bend. The muffler bend makes it 1-3/8" then it goes to 1-1/2". If I could find one with an OAL length of 12", it would fit right in between the 90 and the support bracket near the end. Even if it was 1-1/2 in/out, I could still make it work.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I certainly understand wanting a less expensive muffler but will the less expensive ones deaden the sound like the Onan muffler? Probably won't know the answer to than until it is installed. That quieter sound is worth a lot in my opinion.
Safe Travels
Bob
Even after getting the exhaust quieter, you'll most likely find that a great deal of generator (Onan) noise is mechanical noise that a better muffler won't cure.

BUT of course, every little bit helps...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #27

I just checked at AZ, PEP, Midas and O'Reilly's. The smallest in stock at the O'Reilly's near me is a 11" oval body with a 2" offset in/out. ~$26.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
yes
Like he said. It needs to have a spark Arrester on it. If you go to state or federial parks! You might get away with it but if you start a fire with it, You are going to have a very hard time with your insurance company. And you could be arrested, unlike your Muffler! Play safe out there.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, replacement