Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
"Chimney" fire in water heater?

The other day I noticed something I'd never seen before. Flame in the "exhaust" vent of my water heater. It was enough to scorch and soot up the guard and grill on the flip-down door. Being overly cautious and not a big fan of m/h blazes, I shut off the heater and turned off the gas for the duration of the weekend.

Sources have blamed this on spider webs in the vent, "bad" propane, water in the propane, and various other sources. Recommendations were to "just burn off the gas a bit." I did fill the tank at P/FJ about two weeks ago, as the tank probably had not been topped off for five years or so,

Any thoughts from the populace? Do I need to dismantle things and send a very small chimney sweep into the vent? Chim-chiminey chim chim cher-ee...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could easily be a nest in there as you mentioned. I had a similar problem and pulled a bottle brush through a few times, nothing there. So I removed the burner and cleaned it, all good now. Readjusting is a little tedious just take your time, hardest part is getting it set so it relights immediately, try it several times to be sure.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We just fired ours up yesterday.I took my air hose and blew it all out. Some junk fell out not much though. I always use a brush on the end of a flexible rod and put it up the shoot to clean it, after and during each use.
I wish the electric worked
I left it on over night and put 2 ice cube trays in the freezer and this AM we had Ice Cubes.
Maintenance is the key.
Tim,
Are you referring to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? (sp)

Dang it, your referring to your water heater, Sorry I thought it was the Re-fridge/Freezer. Water heater worked fine.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Had the same thing happen on my old Norcold, and about every season on my propane patio heater. Spiders love to get into the nozzles and block things up. Causes all kinds of weird flame patterns. Just a quick shot from an air hose usually cleans things out.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Wasps are famous for building in porpane air. May have just a starter nest that burned out completely. I'd run a brush through it, add a good airgun cleaning, and maybe a brushing of the burner. Don't touch up the paint until you are sure it's cleaned.
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Are you referring to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? (sp)
No, actually that's from Mary Poppins - the DW and DGD have watched it about 4,295 times recently. It's Dick Van Dyke's song as the chimney sweep....

All fixed - took the venturi tube out, blew it clean, blew some air though the combustion chamber, re-installed the tube and adjusted the air mix, and we get a nice 90% blue/10% yellow flame now, with no flame in the vent either.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Got the same surprise last year. I thought the side of the camper was going to catch fire. It was only a tiny spider that caused the problem. All's well after re-homing it.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Still working, and that was a great movie, saw it as a child in the theaters but still love it.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater