Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Chrome Polish

What ever happened to real chrome polish like I had as a kid back in the 50's. That stuff was a yellowish liquid that dried white and removed road grime, road tar, rust dirt and more.
This stuff today is nothing more then thin colored water and does nothing.
I have Mothers chrome polish, blue liquid does nothing
Harley Davidson chrome polish Tan paste in a tube, also does nothing
Turtle wax Chrome polish, tan liquid does nothing
All the above stuff shines chrome provided it is nice and clean to begin with, the stuff today is useless, where can I get the real stuff????
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

I've always had good luck with Flitz metal polish.. it's from Europe and available all over the place. If that won't clean it, nothing will. I bought it by the case for polishing the chrome on my old Cadillac show cars.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
I've always had good luck with Flitz metal polish.. it's from Europe and available all over the place. If that won't clean it, nothing will. I bought it by the case for polishing the chrome on my old Cadillac show cars.
I'm talking about cleaning the dirt, bugs and road crud etc off after a road trip, not shinning something that was kept in a showroom and was clean and just lost it's shine.
We used to have all sorts of good stuff, I have tried many products and they all suck compared to what we had in the 50's and 60's and even the 70's. There must still be something out there from the good ol days, after all we are talking about 20 years old and older RV's here
Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Amazon.com: No. 7 Chrome and Metal Polish 8 oz.: Automotive
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
flitz
been using it for over 30 years
it will dissolve dead bugs off glass, chrome, stainless steel, alum, plastic headlamp bezels
there is a company in ny that sell it online
used it on my wheels
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-th...on-119826.html
so you be the judge...my rv don't sit in a showroom, but thanks for the compliment

weenol was good but it actually removes hydrogen from brass and alum.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I'm talking about cleaning the dirt, bugs and road crud etc off after a road trip, not shinning something that was kept in a showroom and was clean and just lost it's shine.
We used to have all sorts of good stuff, I have tried many products and they all suck compared to what we had in the 50's and 60's and even the 70's. There must still be something out there from the good ol days, after all we are talking about 20 years old and older RV's here
I'm sorry... I mis-read when you asked for "chrome polish" in your original post. Just so you know, my Cadillacs where not "garage queens", they were DRIVEN to shows all over the eastern U.S. So yes, you can use Flitz to remove crud and road grime, tar, bugs, as well as shining garage kept chrome. That's why I recommended it. I use it on the stainless front bumper and wheel liners of Serenata to clean such stuff off it. Sorry to have bothered you... geez....
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Thanks. Ordered 2 bottles today. Hope it works better than Mothers.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Thanks. Ordered 2 bottles today. Hope it works better than Mothers.
Old No.7 is the first polish I remember.... Hope it works
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
YC1

Brasso Multi Purpose Metal Polish: 8 OZ: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Brasso. Can buy it anywhere. I use it on my fancy Alcoa wheels that are not supposed to be polished but needed it anyway. Mothers was not effective. Brasso did the trick. Use it in the military.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #10

I've been using "Nevr Dull" for years and it's pretty good....also works on brass, stainless, aluminum...pretty much anything shiny....it's a can full of what looks like cotton candy and it has the cleaner in it....rip off a piece and go at it...if something is really stubborn, try 0000 steel wool....wet it and watch surface rust, grime, etc. just melt away....follow up with Nevr Dull to protect it, you'll be good to go.....
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LB- View Post
I've been using "Nevr Dull" for years and it's pretty good....also works on brass, stainless, aluminum...pretty much anything shiny....it's a can full of what looks like cotton candy and it has the cleaner in it....rip off a piece and go at it...if something is really stubborn, try 0000 steel wool....wet it and watch surface rust, grime, etc. just melt away....follow up with Nevr Dull to protect it, you'll be good to go.....
Never Dull, Yeas, that's the stuff we used in USAF to shine up the big brass's planes, did not know it was still around, we had it in one gallon cans when I was an AF grunt and we used to swipe some for use on our bumpers and hub caps. Only issue I remember is it made your palms black and slippery.

The other was a permatex or turtle was chrome polish that was thick and creamy and an ugly orange/rust color and they smelled bad too boot. But they would clean and shine any metal that was supposed to be shiny. The turtle wax chrome polish I recently got was basically blue water
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I use to use Simi-Chrome polish on all my Limey motorcycle engines (60's), which were aluminum and made them look like chrome. I used it on chrome too, just lightly as it was abrasive. They still make it....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BGOC0W
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #13

Yep bilito that's the stuff...probably should have mentioned using rubber gloves in the post cause the smell stays one your hands as well....I've never heard or seen a gallon can of it though...that's wild....anyway, yes they still make it and I still use it...works well and with the least amount of effort in my opinion...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #14

Autosol metal polish my friend. As a kid, I used it on my bike. My dad used it on his old truck, and my grandfather used it to take rust off old tools.

In fact, when I ran out, I found a 20yr old tube in the garage.....still works like a charm
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote