Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Circuit Breaker Change Issue

Well I am changing my two old genny breakers and installing my brand new Blue Sea breakers and right away I have a problem.

The old breakers have a slip on disconnect and the new ones have a larger screw on disconnect setup. This in itself would not be a problem if I had room to work and I could just cut the wires and swap out the connectors, but I do not have much more then an inch or two to work in.

There must be a connector that will have a screw on at one side and a slip on at the other, some sort of adapter and I have no idea what it would be called or where to go and look for them

Below are pictures of the connectors and the two C/B's side by side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New circuit breakers 001.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	29177   Click image for larger version

Name:	New circuit breakers 002.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	29178  

Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #2

How about a few small copper tabs that you can screw to the Blue Sea breakers and trim down to the size necessary to put the slip on connections. Easy to make with a pair of tin snips and a file.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
How about a few small copper tabs that you can screw to the Blue Sea breakers and trim down to the size necessary to put the slip on connections. Easy to make with a pair of tin snips and a file.
First I guess I would need to have some copper sheeting to do that, someone must make an adapter for that
Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are called tyco faston connectors. There are adapters available. A Google would likely show the options.

You can also just extend the wires using butt slices. This is what I would probably do.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Extend the wires.. Less to go wrong later. You can use butt connectors with built in heat shrink. Work great, last forever.

Or solder if your handy at it
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The solution is easy,, Short length of wire with the proper TAB connector on the end.

Just make sure the junction is insulated. (or slip some heat shrink over it and after completing the conneciton heat the shrink.)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

why not just get the right breaker with the spade connector? it's easier to change. if you want to use the screw style you have, you have more than enought room. first, with side cutters, split the plastic where the crimp is. then cutting the same direction as the wire , along the side of the wire where the crimp is, split the crimp-on. then slide the eye-loop connector on and crimp. easy job. split lots of crimp-ons. less pieses = less problems. (oh ya, mark your wires and cut the zip ties. when done put new zip ties on)
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #8

While adding one more component in the path is not the best answer, here is a link to the type of adaptor you are looking for:
Farnell Export

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #9

dave78chief has the right adapter. problem is this style screw on breaker leaves the posibilty of the screw coming loose and the connector rotating. could that cause a problem ?? it's your rv. the old style breaker with the spade connector that problem isn't there. imho--- i'd use the spade style breaker ---- again it's your rv. good luck... and get back out having fun
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
dave78chief has the right adapter. problem is this style screw on breaker leaves the posibilty of the screw coming loose and the connector rotating. could that cause a problem ?? it's your rv. the old style breaker with the spade connector that problem isn't there. imho--- i'd use the spade style breaker ---- again it's your rv. good luck... and get back out having fun
Well I made one myself, gonna add a drop of solder after I screw on the connector to the C/B to be sure it does not loosen. Possibly Thread locker
Th e blue sea breakers I bought were the ones originally recommended to me on this forum because the tab type cost around 40 bucks each plus shipping, the ones I bought were 18.00 each, w/free shipping
Here is a picture of what I made and the parts I used, I made four of them.
I made them myself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I made it 001.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	29306  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Well I made one myself, gonna add a drop of solder after I screw on the connector to the C/B to be sure it does not loosen. Possibly Thread locker
Th e blue sea breakers I bought were the ones originally recommended to me on this forum because the tab type cost around 40 bucks each plus shipping, the ones I bought were 18.00 each, w/free shipping
Here is a picture of what I made and the parts I used, I made four of them.
I made them myself
Nice..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote