RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

Class A livingroom remodel

Has anyone remodeled their Class A living room?
Ours has one swivel chair just inside the door with a 3 person couch/bed across from it with a dinette next to it across from the kitchen on the door side.
While we have seated four at the dinette, we don't use it often. Same with the couch/bed. I'm looking for ideas for a possible redo of our 94 Land Yacht 35'
DP. I've never really liked the height or comfort of the swivel chair and thought two better ones might be better. Any suggestions will be read and considered.
The two front seats swivel, 180 degrees and I can't change them, but the rest of it is open for suggestions and your experiences. Without slide outs, it a little harder to get a good functional room, but I'm trying.

Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

Poke around and you will see remodels with pictures. The main issue is to check and make sure there are no hidden utility spaces you are invading. Things like water tanks or heat runs for example.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbin View Post
Has anyone remodeled their Class A living room?
Ours has one swivel chair just inside the door with a 3 person couch/bed across from it with a dinette next to it across from the kitchen on the door side.
While we have seated four at the dinette, we don't use it often. Same with the couch/bed. I'm looking for ideas for a possible redo of our 94 Land Yacht 35'
DP. I've never really liked the height or comfort of the swivel chair and thought two better ones might be better. Any suggestions will be read and considered.
The two front seats swivel, 180 degrees and I can't change them, but the rest of it is open for suggestions and your experiences. Without slide outs, it a little harder to get a good functional room, but I'm trying.
On mine the dinette was taken out and a counter and cabinet was put in. Great added storage and work space. I'll try and post some Pictures here is one I'll get some more if you want
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161112_135330 Resize.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	147525  
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
That is a nice remodel.

As you have seen we have the 2 kitchen chairs and table, I like that instead of a booth, we had a booth in one before and took it out, it took
up the whole area. But the other guy is right, lots of times there are essential items under them, or on one we had there was the fender well. I'm
sure you will come up with something nice.

I tried to get hubby to leave the table out and put a folding one in, but
he thinks its better bolting one down was thinking of sticking it in a bay
when traveling.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

remodel

the problem with a no slideout MH is about 30" less width in the living room. We use the dinette booth which I built when we bought the MH. The previous owner removed it and the jack knife sofa and replaced them with two really large recliners and a coffee table. For us it was not practical since we usually have at least one grandson with us and we like to have people in for dinner. I can't see eating on the couch or in a recliner in there. I would like to narrow up (front to back) the jack knife sofa about 4", it might make it feel a little more open as our MH is only 8' wide on the outside and 7'-7" inside. If you don't need the dinette or the sofa then you have some options with more cabinet space and some nicer chairs that can recline
Old 12-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #6

The previous owner of my Safari Trek put in new carpeting, removed the jack knife sofa and euro-recliner and replaced the front seats. He installed a J style sofa recliner and 3 captains chairs from a wrecked MB sprinter. The 3rd captains chair located where the euro-recliner was hooks into the floor mini-van style and can be removed if not needed. I plan to install some type of swing up computer table or similar in front of it.

(the trek came from the factory with a dining table and 2 chairs instead of a dinette that most motorhomes of its vintage have)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00x0x_kJRca0Uw7w8_1200x900.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	147555  
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might check-out this Facebook group. Some absolutely amazing remodels of rvs.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinteriorideas/
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
cool
Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Remodel ideas

Thanks folks,
I like the J couch idea. The dinette in ours has the water pump under one bench and the furnace blower under the other.
Have any of you tried multiple swivel seating instead of the couch?
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Not the best shot but...

Our CC Magna came to us as she came from the factory with a jackknife on the drivers side and 2 swivel buckets on the other with a small table/cabinet between them that has a pull out expansion top.

Front overhead has a J shape and the front TV (old crt currently) is located on the end to the right. Well seen from anywhere aft of those 2 chairs but worthless in those chairs.

Soon I will be removing the swivel buckets and the table and building a desk/entertainment center there. New flat screen will rise up out of the desk. Will add an articulating mount to the lift mechanism so TV can be seen from the galley and dining area as well.

Front overhead will be modified and cut back so it just goes along the front over the window and cabinets will be added for additional storage.

Considering removing the dining table and chairs and building something that can be converted from dining to additional sleeping space. The jackknife just isn't big enough for our daughter and two granddaughters when they go along.

May begin this process in February and you will be able to follow it on the FB page linked in the signature below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Looking Forward.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	147814  
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:34 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I got hubby to leave the kitchen table out even though I had just finished recovering the chairs, we are doing freshening and updating of all window treatments and wallpaper. He got this in today and we had these Duncan Phyfe folding chairs I'm going to recover these will be easy,. Our coach is a 92 Eagle and has no slides so this added a lot of room, we have discussed taking out the recliner in front. There are only 2 or 3 of us traveling in it.

We aren't finished yet, think I will put some kind of trim on the wall behind it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	147920  
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #12

I removed the dinette and made a smaller table/desk with two patio chairs an put in a futon in place of the folding couch because it was heavy and old. I dumped the rocking chair because it was too small an in the way. I also replaced the floor. We lived in it for 10 months and used the driver seat because of the swivel. I removed the steering wheel while long term stays.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dining area.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	148121   Click image for larger version

Name:	New futon.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	148122  

Name:	Side view.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	148123  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #13

One thing to think about. Anytime you take something that goes thwartship and trade it for something that goes fore to aft, you create a tunnel affect. While you add more isle space, your eye sees the tunnel and you feel the narrowness of the coach. If you take a look at some of the 90s Foretravels, they had a unit that had a side isle. There was a perception of space because of the long surfaces that went width ways. The later ones had a buffet that went width ways, which made for a large flat surface that went thwartship. I'd be inclined to build an old fashioned roll top desk/hutch. That would give you storage, and something visual that could sit sideways. Glass vertical doors on top, so the vertical length will make the ceiling look taller.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #14

Here are a few pics of my remodeled 96 Bounder. I have several more of different mods if you need some ideas. There is very little I haven't touched at this point.

Thanks
Adam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160306_153142405.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	148951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160723_142815666.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	148952