Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #1

Clear Coat Missing? Wax?

Took my class A to have it washed and waxed. Man told me they couldn't wax because there was no clear coat. There is no pealing or rough spots, just a smooth dull finish. It's like it never had a clear coat. It is a 2000 Coachmen. I asked if he would wax (NuFinish) anyway to protect it. He said no, he said it would just suck up the wax and do nothing. Does he know what he is talking about? This is a professional car detailer. Can I Zep it to restore shine even if there is no clearcoat. If it had pealed off I would think there would be signs of it having pealed. In my unprofessional opinion he doesn't know what he is taling about or there never was a clear coat.
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it oxidized on the outside? I have a 2004 and it was very dull. I washed it and it still was dull, no shine at all anywhere.

I got McGuire's compound and deoxidized the outside and it was better. I had to do it twice because the oxidization was so bad.

I then put 4 coats of Zep on the outside and have had several people think it was new. I would go to Walmart (or wherever) and get some compound. Try the rear of the coach and rub the heck out of it. If you see shine then it probably has never been deoxidized before and has a lot of fade over it.

Not sure about the clear coat but maybe take it to another shop and see what they say.

Good Luck
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you talking about a coach that has a full body paint job? If it does I can't believe the clear coat just peeled off. Now you can take rubbing compound to a clear coated vehicle and if you don't know what you're doing you can do some serious damage to it.
I'm thinking you don't have a full body painted coach. If not he is correct in saying there is no clear coat. It's probably really oxidized and needs some attention. If your coach is basically white in color with vinyl decals then the Zep idea would probably be the best way to get it to shine. There have been quite a few people in our park that have had it done and they really look good. Good luck in your endeavor and hope you get it shining soon.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try a product called Gel Gloss. It's both a cleaner and a wax. Took my buddies 1999 RV trailer that had never even been washed in 10 year. Dull, oxidized, blackish. The Gel Gloss cleaned it all up and brought back a nice shine. They also have a Heavy Duty formula that has a added UV protector.
Camping World sells it, also many other RV and boating retailers.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post
Took my class A to have it washed and waxed. Man told me they couldn't wax because there was no clear coat. There is no pealing or rough spots, just a smooth dull finish. It's like it never had a clear coat. It is a 2000 Coachmen. I asked if he would wax (NuFinish) anyway to protect it. He said no, he said it would just suck up the wax and do nothing. Does he know what he is talking about? This is a professional car detailer. Can I Zep it to restore shine even if there is no clearcoat. If it had pealed off I would think there would be signs of it having pealed. In my unprofessional opinion he doesn't know what he is taling about or there never was a clear coat.
To answer your question, I doubt seriously it ever had clear coat applied.

If you're considering Zep or similar, your results depend heavily on surface prep. Tons written on that topic already so I won't go into it here.