Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #29

I’m widowed and live/travel full-time in my RV. One thing I’ve learned about RV living is it really helps if items can have multiple uses. For instance, my RV has a bedroom. Granted it’s a nice place to sleep but otherwise it's a waste of space that sits empty 16 hours a day while I have to cram all my other inside activities into the kitchen/dinette/sitting area. My plan is to remove the dinette completely, put a single bed in the bedroom and use the other half as an office area for the geological consulting work I do (I currently set up for work at the dinette). I’ve also thought about just putting a sofa-bed in the sitting area and not even having a bed in the bedroom. With a sofa-bed my bed could then serve a dual purpose and not just take up precious space for 16 hours a day.

Again, think multiple uses. I hope you don’t mind my unsolicited free advice, just remember it’s worth every penny you paid for it!

Steve

BTW I'm feeling bad for whoever has to sleep on the cutoff side of the bed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko1000 View Post
I was up til 2am, "in the zone" if you will, working on a 3D model of what we think we can do with him now. I reckon it will be a few different stages of construction to get him to this, but here are some still frames from the (almost complete) model

What program are you using to create these models?

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JD & Lydia,

Have you thought about making a collaspable desk that would fit over your engine cover? If you moved the couch where you plan to put the desk, put the drawer portion behind the driver's seat and could plan a desk that fits over or in front of the engine cover, maybe that would work. Worth looking at.

Rest looks like it will work.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
JD & Lydia,

Have you thought about making a collaspable desk that would fit over your engine cover? If you moved the couch where you plan to put the desk, put the drawer portion behind the driver's seat and could plan a desk that fits over or in front of the engine cover, maybe that would work. Worth looking at.

Rest looks like it will work.

Lynne
That sounds like a good idea. One of the removable tabletops often seen in C class units between the two front seats.

Or maybe a fold out desktop at the passenger seat?
Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #33

Thanks for the input guys! Some great ideas. My girlfriend and I have tried to keep our design more in line with a tiny house than an RV, if that makes sense. We personally don't like the look of things that fold up in to something else or convert to be a different item. I completely understand the appeal of these designs for more dedicated RVers and full-timer's, but we want to feel like we are escaping to our tiny cabin in the woods once a month, as opposed to the multi-use, multi-function space that drives down the road.

We have discussed a topper for the doghouse, and if anyone has any creative doghouse topper ideas (desks, drink holders, coffee tables, etc) please let me see them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
What program are you using to create these models?
The program is Sketchup 2016. It's a free product originally pioneered by Google and sold to Trimble software last year. Very intuitive, easy to learn, many plug-ins available, online lessons, and a MASSIVE free online library of models for download that you can plug in to your own model.

I highly recommend it!!

some more of my sketchup work:

Gecko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #34

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko1000 View Post
The program is Sketchup 2016. It's a free product originally pioneered by Google and sold to Trimble software last year. Very intuitive, easy to learn, many plug-ins available, online lessons, and a MASSIVE free online library of models for download that you can plug in to your own model.

I highly recommend it!!

I was hoping that you would say that. I have already downloaded the basic program, but haven't had time to work with it. I tried it years ago, and found it cumbersome and poorly documented. I like your results.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #35

I ran across someone on Youtube who had custom installed an electric Murphy bed in their RV.

Here it is...

Tags
brave, purchase, winnebago