Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Closet Flange Connection to Black Water Tank

73 HR 22' TT

I need to rebuild the toilet platform which surrounds the BW Tank. From the way the toilet was installed it appears that the platform is about 3/8" short. The closet flange has a plywood spacer installed to raise it, and a similar spacer was needed to support the toilet. I want to rebuild the platform at the right height and put in a new toilet. But I'm having a bit of an issue with the disassembly. I don't know how to remove the closet flange from the black water tank. The flange is in remarkable shape, and I'd keep everything the way it is, except the MDF sides are in pretty rough shape.

There's two parts to a flange - the black center that is attached to the tank, and the metal ring that holds the toilet bolts and is screwed to the floor.

First, is the black center of the flange glued directly to the tank? Are black water tanks made of ABS and everything is glued together? Or are they HDPE like the fresh water tank and have threaded fittings?

The black center part of the flange has two indentations 180 degrees apart that look like places for inserting a wrench/tool to loosen/tighten it. Is that a correct assumption? I can fashion a tool that will work, but thought I'd ask the brain trust to see if I'm on the right track.

If the flange is glued to the tank do I have any choice but to replace the entire BW tank? Either that or build the top of the platform with two pieces that each surround half the flange when assembled.

Just want to know ahead of time what I'm getting myself into, and I don't want to destroy anything trying to take it apart the wrong way.

micalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
I'm hoping yours isn't glued together.... I doubt seriously that it was when built originally, but it sounds like yours has been "worked on" prior to you getting it.

Generally, at the tank end, they're threaded, or there's a big grommet/collar affair that's made from something like silicone or a soft vinyl. Those allow for a slip fit.

The plan to rig a tool that allows you to attempt to unscrew the closet flange is a good one.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Originally Posted by micalk View Post
First, is the black center of the flange glued directly to the tank? Are black water tanks made of ABS and everything is glued together? Or are they HDPE like the fresh water tank and have threaded fittings?
My black center flange is CPVC, (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride), not PVC, and everything is glued, (not screwed), together.
However, yours may be different.
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my previous coach, after removing the screws from the flange to the floor, the pipe on the flange was a slip fit into the pipe coming up from the tank. Had to work hard to break it loose but after a few tries, a few swear words and hammer and large pliers, it broke loose and slipped right out. That was on a Winnebago Brave. Yours could be different.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine turned out to be a threaded closet flange and a white hdpe tank. I put a screwdriver in one of the slots in the flange and was able to tap it and get it to move. Then I made a tool out of some bar stock I had laying around which made it easy to turn. Next I have to disassemble the vent which will allow me to disassemble the platform. I want whole pieces for use as templates to rebuild it.
micalk is offline   Reply With Quote

flange, tank, water