Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Cloudy Windows!

After almost 300 miles on Hwy 101 in California (rougher than the dickens), we are experience issues with our windows. I truly think the rough ride did something to some of the dual pane windows and I have probably 7 panes experiencing clouding or even moisture.

Is there anything to be done preventatively to protect the undisturbed one's? And is my only recourse to have the windows removed and resealed? Really bummed about this as our coach is just about perfect! And we have been enjoying it immensely. Thanks.

Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The fact that 7 windows are showing signs of clouding sort of indicates your window seals were only good for 20 years. I don't know of any preventative measure to stop the sealed ones from losing their seals too. You could set priorities, only get the windows repaired that are in driver's view or most desirable to look out, but they'll all need repair soon. If you're sure the seals just broke, a quick repair might be able to re use the glass. If you wait too long, the glass get's stained and must be replaced.

The other option is to have the dual pane windows replaced with single pane, but noise and heat/cool will be effected.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

How handy are you? If you're capable of removing the windows from the coach, then removing the glass from the windows, you might be able to handle it yourself.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #4

Would anyone be able to point me in a direction as to how a repair is actually done to restore clarity. Some of the smaller windows I could probably remove but then what? Is this something a glass shop would fix or must it be a RV repair facility?

And one of the disadvantages of being out on the road for an extended period of time is managing the logistics of an extended repair. Can anyone venture a guess as to time and $$ to fix several windows.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I used the Google search box at the top of the page, this topic has been covered many times. There are some who do it themselves, others who pay to have them repaired, others replace them. Here's the link to the search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY+...com&gws_rd=ssl

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I used the Google search box at the top of the page, this topic has been covered many times. There are some who do it themselves, others who pay to have them repaired, others replace them. Here's the link to the search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY+...com&gws_rd=ssl
Thanks for the link. Looks like some good info. Appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Would anyone be able to point me in a direction as to how a repair is actually done to restore clarity. Some of the smaller windows I could probably remove but then what? Is this something a glass shop would fix or must it be a RV repair facility?

And one of the disadvantages of being out on the road for an extended period of time is managing the logistics of an extended repair. Can anyone venture a guess as to time and $$ to fix several windows.
If this is something you might be able to handle yourself, I'd wait until I got home. It's more time consuming than expensive that way. A few bucks for sealants is all it would cost. Otherwise? $$$ It can get expensive quickly depending on how many you need to get done.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are in the vicinity - or next time you are... heard nothing but good things about these guys...

http://www.rvfogdr.net/
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If your so inclined and tool proficient....

After looking at the RV Fog Dr video I caught another video of a DIY guy.

A comment on that video led me to this rebuild kit.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Since Root is in Bend, Or and near a Thousand Trails preserve, we just may have to pay him a visit come May/June on our way back to the Northwest. Not sure I want to tackle this myself, but sure would like him to price it out for me. Thanks for everyone's guidance!

And regarding a comment about the seals having a life of 20 years and failing all at once, it seems this is a fairly common problem even among much newer coaches. I truly believe the mile after mile of lousy Hwy 101 played a roll.

Tags
window