Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Coach ladder to roof

I am looking for information on how these ladders are installed. Mine is a light gauge aluminum tubing with standoff about 6 in long. The bolt (steel) has rusted apart. I plan to replace with SS. I just need to get it apart without screwing everything up! Has anybody had any experience with these? My coach is a 93 Thor pinnacle 300Q. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm interested in the answers you get as well. I pulled the four long screws on mine but the ladder still seemed secured. Didn't have time to mess with it more at the time so I just put them back. Mine got bent and needs replacing or removal.

Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

I had removed my ladder to respray rear cap. Mine was held on with screws into blind nuts on the spacers. The top and bottom mounts did not have spacers. The blind nuts in the spacers I have read are replaceable with difficulty. I reused all spacers and replaced screws with stainless.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
I had removed my ladder to respray rear cap. Mine was held on with screws into blind nuts on the spacers. The top and bottom mounts did not have spacers. The blind nuts in the spacers I have read are replaceable with difficulty. I reused all spacers and replaced screws with stainless.
When you say "spacers" do you mean the standoffs between the ladder and the back wall? Not trying to be difficult, I just want to be sure I understand what you are telling me. Are the blind nuts splined or maybe pressed into the standoffs/spacers? Thanks
Old 07-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck13 View Post
I'm interested in the answers you get as well. I pulled the four long screws on mine but the ladder still seemed secured. Didn't have time to mess with it more at the time so I just put them back. Mine got bent and needs replacing or removal.
I don't think my answer will work for you I tore into it this evening; the bolts are about 1 1/2 X 1/4. they screw into star nuts(available on ebay) that dig into the ID of the standoff. Since what rusted out were the bolts that attach the ladder to the standoff, I got lucky(wow that doesn't happen very often) I will be able to drive the existing star nuts deeper into the standoff, then install the new ones, then reinstall the ladder with SS hardware. As a side note in all my research my ladder's manufacture is Stromberg(I think)
Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #6

I did mine earlier this year and posted it, but not sure how to show the link. Anyway one mistake I made was not to label the stand off pipes in some way. I thought they where all the same, but because of the curve of the end cap they are different. Also some of my screws broke off while removing them so I had to turn two of the brackets 90 degrees to re-attach to the coach.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404350101.170927.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	532.5 KB
ID:	66743Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404350132.017298.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	706.2 KB
ID:	66744Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404350156.455014.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	791.9 KB
ID:	66745Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404350183.901091.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	66746Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404350202.152544.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	66747
Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineman3rd View Post
When you say "spacers" do you mean the standoffs between the ladder and the back wall? Not trying to be difficult, I just want to be sure I understand what you are telling me. Are the blind nuts splined or maybe pressed into the standoffs/spacers? Thanks
Yup, the stndoffs have the blind nuts pressed into them. Two per spacer as the bracket rivited to the cap is heald on with a screw into a blind nut. If you need to change one nut, order two as both inside and outside nuts need to be driven out. The new nuts are a job to install and a press makes this job easier.
The poster above has a pix of the parts you need.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck13 View Post
All Done, easier than I expected I forget two simple things I learned when I owned my shop:

1. We all tend to make things more complicated than they really are!
2. Everything is made as quickly & cheaply to "get it out the door"

Chuck, if you have any questions let me know. It is simple

Engineman3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof