Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool cold air from furnace door

1993 32' Class A... everyone else in Class A has to new of units for half my stuff to relate to so here I am asking some of you older rigs for some help.

below is a picture of my furnace unit. it is located under my stove. it goes upagainst the wall but the hole in the wall is cut about 2" larger than the furnace. then the tin door is put on outside with the vent holes running to the furnace for intake air. my problem is that its 8 outside and there is a TON of cold air coming in from here. I found a bunch more areas of cold air from outlets and city water hookup areas that i am filling in with expandafoam stuff. i thought about doing it to this area too until i noticed all the small vents on the top and sides that this stuff would run into and i don't want to hurt the furnace when it does. so..... what can i do to plug this huge gap off??? the sooner the help the better. next few days are suppose to be nice, thursday sunny and 50, then friday 12 for a high with snow, blowing snow, freezing rain, etc... typical nebraska weather!

pelase, any ideas would be great!

Thanks, Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You know I would experiment with something really inexpensive 1st that can be easily removed. I can't begin to tell you how many applications that a 1/2" pipe foam pipe wrap sleeve has served for me and this might be an opportunity for you to give it a shot.

Cut the pipe of pipe wrap the desired length and stuff the pipe wrap in that gap. It should occupy all the space and yet be removable in the event it has to come out. It there's too much material in the diameter of the sleeve try cutting it down by a 1/2" or so. A piece of pipe wrap should cost about $2 at Lowe's or HD.

I would not use the expanding form for the same concerns that you mentioned. Good luck.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNiemann View Post
1993 32' Class A... everyone else in Class A has to new of units for half my stuff to relate to so here I am asking some of you older rigs for some help.
Chris I agree, us 1990's coach owners should have a sub-forum just for us. Most of the concerns listed on the Class A forum are for newer units. I have also thought about posting in the "vintage" forum, but it did not seem appropriate. I feel kind of left out.

How 'bout it Driver?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John...

that is exactly where I am on another thread in the Class A right now... "water bay pics" i had someone tell me to post in vintage if i want to see what i was looking for............????????????

NO!

first of all, its a 93, if that is vintage then half the MH operators on this thread are dust.... no offense, just funny... lol i was born in 84, graduated in '02..... so i'm vintage too? LOL

I posted in Class A because I own a Class A and had a question about Class A's.... when i post in the vintage section i feel like i'm the 2011 model 52' Class A pulling up to the Woodstock Reunion with the VW vans... Vintage is for Vintage and Class A is for Class A... so until they put in a "Graduated" area... lol i guess i'll just keep posting back and forth.... lol

p.s. seriously... i hope i didn't offend anyone, it was all in good humor right?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver,

thanks for the idea! only down side is that i'm 45 miles from Home Depot and i was just freakin there today to buy materials for the remodel of dads rental house... thats when i picked up 3 cans of the foam (it was on sale $3.48) to fill my other spots from outlets and plumbing.... wish i would have seen this big gap earlier, i would have bought something to shove in there! i'll see if the old man has any extras in the basement of his house, grandpa use to keep a bunch of extras down there! THANKS FOR THE IDEA

AND CAN YOU ADD A "GRADUATED CLASS" TO THE THREADS SO US 90'S CAN HAVE A PLACE TO POST? CLASS A'S ARE TO GOOD FOR US AND VINTAGE IS FAR FROM WHAT WE WANT TO BE CALLED lol....

love this site! ya'll are awesome!

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT NIGHT! ITS 2 YEAH T W O HERE RIGHT NOW AT 12:17am..... TIME TO BUNDLE UP AND HEAD TO SLEEP! GOODNIGHT RV WORLD!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DRiVER

THANK YOU A MILLION! fially had a trip back to the city today so i grabbed a package of the half inch pipe insulation that you were talking about. IT WORKS GREAT!! PERFECT FIT (REALLY TIGHT) got it put in tonight as tomorrow is suppose to be a high of 26 and then saturday a high of 7 coming off of yesterday and today being in the 50s. so it should hopefully serve its purpose. tonight already the wind is blowing out of the west wich is against the side with that door and i can tell a huge difference as i don't feel the breeze coming inside like i could last week.

Just wanted to say thank you again! I kept the other 3 pieces that came in the backage and stuffed them under the bed for now, i'm sure i will find plenty of other uses for them over time! and if i go back i'm definately getting more, for $1.28 for 4 - 3' pieces im going to try and use it to insulate all my pex lines too. thanks again though, i would have never even though of that!!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #7

WELL - a computer is obsolete and "vintage" as soon as you unpack it - so no need to feel discriminated against when your '93 RV (after all, it IS nearly 20 years old!) has issues, and the best help is found in the Vintage forums....
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
after all, it IS nearly 20 years old!)
Jeez,, now mine feels really old...

At least now I can take mine to the bars..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
well, i'm finally done living in her for the year (i hope) sunday i had a waterline in the back of the rv crack. I wasn't hooked to city THANK GOD so it wasn't pressurized, but the water that was left in the lines was able to leak out....

soaked the carpet in the bedroom, bed frame has water stains, closet wall has stains, and there were ice sickles forming outside the rv as well. the electrical box is covered by a wood box and that too is soaking up water.... so i figured that was the best time to call it quits.... insurance is coming to look at it tomorrow morning back here in OKC, i hope they atleast cover the damages to the bed frame and walls, not sure if electrical is damaged or not as I unplugged it after i saw it.... what would you think? plug it in to try it or ???? when i say electrical box i mean my breaker/inverter box.

any input is appreciated... thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would say Not! Let it dry out first. A week or two should do it. Check to make sure no more ice-cycles! And then you may try and fire it up but would keep your eye on it for a couple of hours at least to make sure you are not going to have a rv barbecue! If you see smoke or hear sizzle from it or breakers start popping unplug it and call the insurance co.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i left it unplugged, stayed in the farmhouse the last night and then took off for home. insurance looked at it and told me if I found any further damages to it to let them know once i started digging into it. My question is how do I know if that box is good or not (i know how to do that but the friend i would pay don't live here no more muhahahahahaha) anyway... how do i check it and NO i'm not paying someone else to do it either so next option... LOL

check was mailed last friday (a week ago) and still not here so purchase of material is at a stand still for now til that comes in.... also trying to think of what to "change" when i start rebuilding it....

« Yikes!! | Ole' koot »