Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Coleman furnace

I recently decided to have a look at our coleman furnace. It hasn't worked in a 6-7 years and I decided yesterday was the day to get it going. Surprisingly it didn't take long to find the problem. It turned out to be an electrical fault, a bad connection in the wall thermostat.

It fired right up and except from a funky "Hot dust" smell, it worked very well. However, there is now a high pitched sound coming from it that I don't recall being there before... So high infact its almost inaudible BUT it does a great job of driving the dog crazy... Its only there when the gas is flowing. The fan isn't making any unusual sounds...

Have any of you had this problem before and if so what's the fix? I understand spare parts are becoming difficult to find for thee old units...?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #2

Doesn't happen often, but occasionally something changes the tuning of the airflow within the furnace. Can make a section turn into a whistle?

Upon disassebly, a mud dauber's nest is often found, but it could be residue from mice or whatever. The bottom line is the furnace needs to be removed from the coach. If you find something obvious in the intake or exhaust outlets when you remove those prior to removing the furnace, you could clean that up and give it another try? If the noise is still there, finish removing the furnace and remove the main burner to give it a good cleaning. That should take care of it.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Does anyone have a service manual for this Coleman furnace? I haven't taken it apart yet but I sure would like to review a service manual first before doing anything to it...
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Hi, blag I do have the manual for this furnace. Although I am new here and don't know how to put it up for you. Tell me how and I will post it for ya. I pretty much have the same motorhome. Mine is a 1981 Gmc Coachmen. Do you have inside photos. I would love to see it. I will post some when I figure this forum out today or tomorrow thanks.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrey View Post
Hi, blag I do have the manual for this furnace. Although I am new here and don't know how to put it up for you. Tell me how and I will post it for ya. I will post some when I figure this forum out today or tomorrow thanks.
Hi Surrey.

That'd be great, thanks! What format is the manual and how big is the file size? I'll PM my email address to you and if the file is small enough, you can just email it to me!

Quote:
I have pretty much the same motorhome. Mine is a 1981 Gmc Coachmen. Do you have inside photos. I would love to see it. .
I sure do! Apart from a few minor modifications, ours is still factory original.

Looking aft:

Looking forward (apologies for the mess up front, I have some major work going on with the cab so I have that area temporarily blocked off to keep the cats out of the coach )

It's good to finally find another member with an old GMC coachmen!

Ours is the Coachmen Leprechaun, floor-plan: LEP-22' DD.

I'm assuming by your forum name that your motorhome is the 'Coachmen Surrey'? ()

I have an "original" 1980's sales brochure at home with some info on the Surrey if you want me to scan/copy it and share with you...?

Our 'Leprechaun' is a full on restoration project right now but we're hoping to be ready for road next year, all going well...

Hey, I'd also be interested in seeing some photos of your rig if you have any?

Instead of putting them here on this ol' thread, why not start your own thread in the vintage RV forum and show everyone your motorhome?

I just sent you a PM with my email address.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Wow, that's almost identical to mine, I will definitely have to share some photos with you. That seems to be in pretty decent shape. I wish you all the luck!! Thanks for sharing.

Well, I Emailed it to you, I hope you got it. I would have posted it here, for all to benefit, but apparently forum administrators, don't allow you to upload a .zip at all, and the cap on a PDF is 3MB.
Too bad, as a forum is about sharing information and helping each other out!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Surrey!

I look forward to seeing your photos!!

(soon I hope)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
Thanks Surrey!

I look forward to seeing your photos!!

(soon I hope)
No problem. I have all the books that came with it I think, so if you need something ask. I was the 2nd owner of my motorhome. I will post photos later. I have the original look and the new updated look I just finished updating mine to what I wanted. So I will post both for you. I can't believe how much alike they are. Nice to see another one...
Old 06-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
No problem. I have all the books that came with it I think, so if you need something ask. I was the 2nd owner of my motorhome. I will post photos later. I have the original look and the new updated look I just finished updating mine to what I wanted. So I will post both for you. I can't believe how much alike they are. Nice to see another one...

Surrey, Just wondering if you are still around?

Tags
furnace