Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

Coleman rooftop AC questions

Does anyone know if the roof ac uses the same service ports as the coach does? Mines freezing up and I suspect it needs to be converted. And charged. Wondering if my automotive gauges will work on it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarog View Post
Does anyone know if the roof ac uses the same service ports as the coach does? Mines freezing up and I suspect it needs to be converted. And charged. Wondering if my automotive gauges will work on it.
Not sure about Coleman but Dometic/Duo-Therm don't have service ports unless they have a piercing valve installed later in life.

Before you assume the roof unit is at fault check this:
A/C Ductwork collapse and rehab

Freezing or short cycling is quite often related to a leak from output to input within the interior airbox (cold air is leaking into the warm air side).

Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My Coleman is a sealed unit, no connections for charging. I have heard that charging conections can be installed but will leak eventually.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know muck about Coleman's but there are a few things you can do before calling out A/C tech .

change air filter, clean condenser and evaporator coils with purple coil cleaner, check CFMs out of supply vent , check temp out of supply vent it should be between 65-70 coming out of vent , make sure all fans are running, amp .compressor to make sure it is loaded the tag on compressor will give you amp loads, make sure your cold air plenum is secured , after you checked all this and you are not getting sweat back you might want to have tech install service port on liquid line and re-charge freon and amp compressor to make sure it is loading.

If you are 134-A , If your coils look good and your frame is good and compressor amps out good I would stay 134-A and not convert to R-22 freon, if you want a R-22 freon you will have to replace whole unit.

Hope this helps,

James
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Sometimes turning the fan to LOW with the cooling set to max will cause icing. We were told to always leave the fan on high if we had icing troubles and adjust the cooling with the thermostat.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #6

Ok. So now it's gotten worse. Instead of freezing up when you turn it on it just hums. Think it bit the dust last night. Anyone ever replace one of these beasts? It in my 85 itasca. 26fter. Is it a tough job? What's a good place to source one of these. Anyone ever replace with one from a salvage yard?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #7

I found both a Coleman and a Dometic on Craigslist for $300 apiece. Replacing the Coleman was fairly easy. The Dometic, not so much. However, either one isn't something an average person couldn't do. Buy a new seal kit (a big square piece of foam) from any RV dealer and figure a way to lift the old one and the new one. I used a pulley on a tree branch and a rope tied to the end of my lawn tractor. After removing the bolts that hold the AC in, I attached the rope, pulled it up with the tractor and then drove the motorhome out from under it. I lowered it down, attached the new one and raised it up with the tractor and then drove the motorhome back under it. Worked like a charm. There are other ways but this worked for me since I didn't have any help.
Here's a video for a dometic.
How To Install an RV Air Conditioner by RV Education 101 - YouTube
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #8

We replaced the dead A/C on our old Winnie some years ago with a salvaged Coleman.

Except for the difficulties in getting the old one off the roof and the new one up on the roof (these puppies are HEAVY), it was pretty straight forward.

Because the Coleman was a one-piece unit, it only needed connecting to power; no electrical or A/C expertise needed. I know nothing about Dometics or ducted units.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
A new Duo-Therm ran me under $600. That was an upgrade to 15k BTU.
If it's freezing, I'd suspect the freeze sensor - First check if it's there and still wired appropriately.