Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #1

Complete Brake Job

Morning All,

So i bought my 82 Apollo in June, GMC/Chevy Chassis, 454, tag axel. Long Story Short, I drove it from San Antonio to Houston, about 20 miles out side of houston the brake light comes on... Still Stops just slow pedal doesnt rebound very quickly... Get her home and the next week take her to a reputable shop recommended by friends and other RV places...

Shop calls and says my hydro boost to MC seal went out and there is brake fluid in the PS fluid and vise versa, "oh and you have a sticking caliper on the pass side rear." WHOMP!

So i do some homework and find out that PS and Brake fluid are not friends and when mixed can deteriorate/eat rubber seals. So the shop tells me i need a complete brake system, hoses, seals, calipers, MC, Hydroboost, etc. they were going to include wheel seals and turning the rotors as well.
They wanted a ball park of $2500 to $3300 to do the job. I got a quote from another shop in houston that came highly recommended from the forums, here as well as others, and was ball park quoted around the same price sight un-seen (Heitman Truck Repair).

I found the parts for just under 1k so i was wondering if anyone has tackled this animal before and if its worth the effort, or if im just better off putting my big boy pants on and paying the shop. I have some mechanical ability and have done countless brake jobs on various cars and trucks, but never anything this big. I also fear i wont flush the lines well enough or with the wrong stuff and will have to do this all over again haha.

Thanks in advance Everyone!

Matt

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
As you've found out with the second bid, the price for a complete 4 corner brake job is not out of line. Whether you can tackle the job yourself or not depends on your tools. You'll be dealing with much heavier and larger parts that an auto or pick-up truck uses. The concept is the same, just larger scale. Make sure your jacks, stands, etc. are all properly sized. If you feel prepared, you will save a lot of money DIY. It is a vehicle that is over 30 years old, prepare for rusted bolts and more work than you think you'll encounter!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PB Blaster will be your friend. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

Master cly. will not leak into hydro boast system like it will a vacuum booster hydro boast system leak or every one I have ever had did. Drip on floor mat under brake pedal price doesn't sound bad doing all four wheel and saying that will fix it.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #5

I have to wonder if the previous owner put power steering oil in the brake reservoir, instead of brake fluid.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

Thanks Guys for the replies!

Yeah im used to rusty stuff and its always a good to have a can of PB! I have a "sickness" for restoring old things.... mowers, trucks, cars, RVs lol Size and weight is more my worry espesually with 19.5" steel wheels with 10 ply tires lol... i can get them off.... but putting them back on might be an adventure... Anyone have any ideas for that?

I havent noticed any fluid under ther brake pedal

You know its possible, that did cross my mind that the fluids got mixed up apon filling the resivore (spelling). The gentleman i bought it from was a retired Aircraft mechanic so i would hope he didnt, or would know better than to, cross the fluids but accidents happen...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

You can jack the tire, just off the ground, and slide it on a stolen street sign and some oil.

They sell a tire dolly and I have used hand trucks too.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

I don't know if this would work for 19.5" wheels but I roll the wheel to the lug bolts and then sit flat on the ground in front of the wheel with my legs outstretched on either side of the wheel. In that position I'm able to lift the wheel on to the lug bolts with my knees. It was much easier to just pick up the wheel with my hands and install it 30 years ago!

Steve
Old 12-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

Here's another idea: Some years ago, I saw an add for a "RV Tire Lift". This was nothing more than a large sturdy steel bracket in the shape of a "U", to contact the edges of a tire and lift into place. I made one myself from three sections of 1 inch water pipe, and two 90 degree fittings. Measurements are approx one 18 inch and two 36 inch long. The pipes were off the shelf from Home Depot, and already tapped for the fittings.

To use, place the two long legs under the tire edges and pull up on the cross piece to align the wheel holes with the mounting studs. Easy, cheap, and I don't have to strain my back. My wheels are 19.5, but the same principle would work on 22 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
I don't know if this would work for 19.5" wheels but I roll the wheel to the lug bolts and then sit flat on the ground in front of the wheel with my legs outstretched on either side of the wheel. In that position I'm able to lift the wheel on to the lug bolts with my knees. It was much easier to just pick up the wheel with my hands and install it 30 years ago!

Steve
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #11

Lol yall just about have me talked into doing this at home. That wheel lifter seems like the ticket!

So what would I flush the metal lines and fittings with? Or would it be better to replace everything?

Thanks guys!

Matt
Old 12-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you sure the brake fluid is contaminated with power steering fluid?

Sounds like some of your status report is bogus. You don't know what part of the info is reliable.

You might want to add brake fluid, bleed the system-check for leaks-check the caliper , be sure it is hung up, then replace caliper & rebleed. Calipers come rebuilt & loaded (new brake pads in them)

Then, you can check your Hydro boost for operation- Those boosters are available rebuilt too

Just take your time & work through your issues a step at a time- you will be fine.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Are you sure the brake fluid is contaminated with power steering fluid?

Sounds like some of your status report is bogus. You don't know what part of the info is reliable.

You might want to add brake fluid, bleed the system-check for leaks-check the caliper , be sure it is hung up, then replace caliper & rebleed. Calipers come rebuilt & loaded (new brake pads in them)

Then, you can check your Hydro boost for operation- Those boosters are available rebuilt too

Just take your time & work through your issues a step at a time- you will be fine.
X-2, I am thinking the same!
Rail!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

Yep, that's it. Looks like a very nice product only the one I built cost under $20. I find the 36 in. long "legs" are sufficient to lift the wheel/tire without the handle shown.

Even a 19.5 wheel and tire weighs around 100lb. so anything that helps lift this for mounting is better than using body force alone (especially at age 77).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder1 View Post
Lol yall just about have me talked into doing this at home. That wheel lifter seems like the ticket!

So what would I flush the metal lines and fittings with? Or would it be better to replace everything?

Thanks guys!

Matt

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake