Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Confused on roof sealant??

I have been doing a lot of reading here and other sites. My 1966 Mitchel is aluminum. I am going to scrape the old caulking off, replace fixtures as needed, and seal. Now I get confused looking at a few items. Since I will put Butyl tape below before reattachment of Vents, Toilet vents, etc.

So from here do I use a Dicor self level or tape? Also can I use the Pro flex roof sealant (brushable) on top of the tape?

My initial thoughts are to reinstall needed items. Butyl tape below then caulking (either Dicor or Pro flex on the non-horizontal areas) and then use Pro Flex over that. For a good long lasting seal.

Since reading here I have heard that Kool Seal/snow seal are better for the roof. Is that true?

Any tips will be appreciated, I am sorta confused on where to go with all I have read about.
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I use the Butyl tape as a gasket then the Eternabond tape to seal the edges. Over the tape I use the self leveling Dicor. I've done this when replacing roof vents and along roof seams and have never had a leak.
I still think that's one cool camper !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
I use the Butyl tape as a gasket then the Eternabond tape to seal the edges. Over the tape I use the self leveling Dicor. I've done this when replacing roof vents and along roof seams and have never had a leak.
I still think that's one cool camper !

Well there ya go! I will look into that

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
I agree on the DiCor 501 or 551.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I, too have been doing a lot of roof repair recently. I have been reading a lot and watching videos of the EPDM liquid roof product. It looks like just the thing for a final coat over ANY repairs. What do ya'll think?
Also, where do I find this butyl caulk I keep reading about?
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Where to find butyl tape.

Rv stores would have this. Also look on the internet.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

What about liquid roof? There is some leaking now and I will find/fix. However the concept of liquid roof seems excellent. It will help quiet the hail/rain as well as sealing ..
Liquid roof can also be put on in cooler temps, that is a big plus for me. However after a search I am not finding much on the topic with aluminum roof.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #8

Commercial Member

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have been using Liquid Roof for years with wonderful results on worn out rubber roofs. It will help to leaden rain noise, also reflect sun heat. It is same composites as the EPDM rubber roof, but can be rolled onto most any surface, must be clean of course, and dry.
It is not cheap, but rarely is any really good product!!!
Personally, unless the aluminum roofing has issues, I would seal all joints, vents, etc with Decor and leave it at that. If the aluminum is perforated or disintegrating, then LR is the best solution. Without doubt. You can see our use of Liquid Roof photos in Projects pages at : www.allritervcenter.com.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the Kool seal on mine 24 X 8 flat aluminum roof with 2 coats and still had few gallons left over in the large pail. It really did make the inside much cooler.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm going to throw in for the Liquid Roof as well. I've used it for several years now and think it's just swell!
It is expensive, but it does work very well.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof