Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Considering purchase of 1989 Beaver

After much research we have determined that we like the style of the older Beaver models, particularly 1989 to 1993 when they were truly manufactured by Beaver Manufacturing. I have found several possible candidates but unfortunately they are scattered all over the US. Obviously, before finalizing any such purchase I would need to have the coach thoroughly inspected and was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on what/how to go about this process. Given the fact that most of these units have considerable mileage I would feel more comfortable having a detailed list of items to be checked rather than just leaving it up to an rv tech. Having traveled full time for several years we are not new to the RVing scene but will be new to the older model units. Even though we will not be full time we do plan to travel as often as possible, mostly short trips but then again you never know where the road may lead. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

Sorry I can't help but I can defiantly understand why you would want one if you are handy.
My wife and I went to an estate sale and walked in a 1989 Beaver. We both really liked it. If the timing was right I would have considered the project. It was the nicest non-slide rv I had been in at the time.
Good luck.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

From what I've read you want a RVIA certified Inspector. You can find em online. Not cheap but if you've found the coach you want I think it's money well spent 😜
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

I wanted to see what a 89 Beaver looked like so I googled youtube 1989 Beaver Motorhome and came up with a few. Wow what a nice coach. Best of luck with you MH when you get it.
http://youtu.be/ar3Jok4J_M4
Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
I wanted to see what a 89 Beaver looked like so I googled youtube 1989 Beaver Motorhome and came up with a few. Wow what a nice coach. Best of luck with you MH when you get it.
http://youtu.be/ar3Jok4J_M4

I tried too buy this but it sold a few days before I replied. Really nice coach. Salesman Rich answered all my questions, seems like an ok guy. I'm looking at another Beaver he has. Only problem on this and some other old Beavers is the engine. It's a Cat3108, I think. Looking it up online it's not a very good engine. Most called it "gutless, guzzling boat anchor" 😜 I'm not kidding
Old 11-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #6

3208t or 3208at were common in that period.

Ours is good but others do not care for them much.

1989 era had few choices and of them 3208at was good for the day.

Here come the rain...
Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy that sure was a nice RV. Really gets you thinking.
Thanks for the post,Tim
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #8

That was a beautiful coach, especially being a 1989! I would be ashamed to park our old 88 Itasca next to it.
Then again I would not drive that to the places we go to sometimes. I have thought about installing a front hitch on the Itasca so I could take my winch for my Dakota along.
What was the asking price on the Beaver?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
That was a beautiful coach, especially being a 1989! I would be ashamed to park our old 88 Itasca next to it.
Then again I would not drive that to the places we go to sometimes. I have thought about installing a front hitch on the Itasca so I could take my winch for my Dakota along.
What was the asking price on the Beaver?

If I recall it was around $36k. Rig had a dining booth slide-out, which was added later, since they didn't exist in 89. Not a perfect rig, but so damn nice looking I wanted it! 😜
Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #10

The '86 through '88 are similar to the '89's. At this point, their prices are all about the same. I have an '86 Marquis is how I know; had it since, um, '92 or '93? I forget.
Anyway, a large amount of goodies and construction technologies were pioneered by Beaver in that time frame and the better coaches use them now.
The Gillig chassis give me mixed feelings. It's rock solid but you have to watch the (numerous) rubber bushings in the front end as they wear out about every 10 years or so. (Who'da thunk?) They are not expensive to replace and most are easy to install.
Of course, the cabinetry and woodwork are to die for and nothing, I mean nothing exists like it in the RV (or most boats) industry today.
Some fool backed her SUB into the side of the Beaver in a gas station a while back. Buckled the rear end of her SUV and shattered all her rear glass. Not a scratch on the Beaver.
Mine has the 3208T, set at 250 hp. I get about 8 mpg and without a toad climb all but the steepest hills just fine. However, with a toad, on steep hills you slow down as much as the 18 wheelers do.
The coach only feels crosswinds of 40+ mph. Big 18 wheelers passing us make no difference to the drive. I usually keep cruise set on 65 on the freeways and 72 if I'm in a big hurry.
Every appliance and fixture in the coach was the very best available at the time, and bests some of today's. Others, not so much -- like TV's, for example.
The only reason I'm looking for a newer coach is because "I must have slideouts, slideouts, slideouts......"
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We looked very closely at a 2000 Beaver Contessa just up the road from us, but decided to hold off on a purchase for a few more years. It was a really well done unit at what I think was a good price. 90K miles, $48K . Virtually everybody I asked about the Beaver give the entire model line thumbs up. Good luck in your hunt!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
RRC

89/90 Beaver Contessa

Just bought a 89/90 Beaver Contessa. She has become my new love! Been going through her just to make sure, will be road worthy in a week or two. after that I aint lookin back!

RRC
Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I've been looking at Beavers and Crown Royales. Pretty much boiled it down to one of those two. Just depends on which deal I find first when the time has become right...
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
We looked very closely at a 2000 Beaver Contessa just up the road from us, but decided to hold off on a purchase for a few more years. It was a really well done unit at what I think was a good price. 90K miles, $48K . Virtually everybody I asked about the Beaver give the entire model line thumbs up. Good luck in your hunt!

Was this a private sale or is the rig listed? If private can you pass on contact info too me, I'd like too look at it?

Tags
beaver, purchase