Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Construction guide?

I bought a 1985 Sunstream and may have gotten in over my head.
The roof has been leaking for a while and after researching it I bought the new roof to put on. The roof has been "temporarily" patched for now.
But first I wanted to be sure the walls would be ok, which they most certainly are not.
I took a window out (and from outside in) it has fiberglass siding, plywood, foam, and plywood interior.
I have been looking for manuals, or guides, or something and have had no luck. I want to do all the work myself, but most importantly I want to do it right.
Home depot has 1/4 in. x 48 in. x 8 ft. Lauan Moisture-Resistant plywood, which I am planning on using. I guess I am looking for advice on the simplest way to go about doing the work to avoid getting overwhelmed.
I have done plenty of home and business remodeling and have a general contractor in the family to help, but we seem to be failing at looking at this motor home as a building, and keep seeing it as a truck.
Does anyone have any kind of manuals, or guidelines to follow?

Mr Bean 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
I don't have a clue about manuals for this kind of repair. However, go to RV.NET and check out the class C forum. There are a couple of folks that have redone motorhomes from the ground up. One guy's handle is something like "Oldtrucker63". He will know the answers to any questions you have.

falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Welcome to the forum. I know this looks like a huge undertaking, and it will be very involved. But it is not rocket science. Just start taking things apart to find damage and replace the damage. There are a number of threads on this forum about what and how repairs were done. Water intrusion is the enemy. First you would need to seal all openings like windows and vents. You say you bought a new roof? Do not know what that means but certainly the roof needs to be sealed as a start.

Just take it one project at a time and you will get there. That is what winters are for. Good luck.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
A Digital Camera is your friend. Take shots of everything before, druing, and after. It will allow you to look back for reference, and you can post photos on these forums along with your questions.

In the process of swapping an engine in my DW's car (don't ask) I took a few hundred shots - very useful.

2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Thanks for the responses.
After sitting back and re-collecting myself I realized that it isn't so bad.
Well it is... but it looks like fun.
Pictures will definitely help and have already taken alot.
The bad parts in the walls seem to only be under a couple of windows.
Monday I start the roof. Going to tear the whole thing off and replace the rot.
The new roof I bought is a EPDM rubber roof. It'll be seamless and according to the manufacturer should be good for about 20 years. I'll have a bunch of leftover material I thought I could use for future patches and the guy told me to throw it away.
I also talked to a rep from Gulfstream and he said that although their records only go back to 1989, I could call and talk to him at any time and he would get any information he could.
Yesterday the motor was finished and it purrs like a kitten.
One project at a time
I'll post some pictures as I get rolling if you would like.
Mr Bean 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I noticed another post from JoeKumanchik here on IRV2 about 1985 Gulfstream Sunstream. His post was concerning chassis. Search and might find some help. Also might search the Gulfstream section of this forum. Looking forward to pictures.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
I was going to also say take pictures.
Be sure to use a notebook and take lots of notes.
Also use some kind of references in a picture when needed; a ruler or tape measure will work.

Best of luck with your project!
Sincerely, Tony
(I have 5 coaches of ours to do)
UV Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
I'm mostly through with my renovation and my advice is. Go slow and stop when you get frustrated. The mistakes I made were, not pulling out all the lower cabinets, carpet and that crappy wall vinyl. I did mine in pieces and the only bad part left is under the stove and sink. Once you expose all the rotten stuff it's easy to replace it. I've redone my walls with formica, floors are bamboo and my cabinets with marine teak (left over).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	31498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	843.9 KB
ID:	31499  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2015.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	31500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2171.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	950.1 KB
ID:	31501  

1990/2014 30ft Gulf Stream Sun Clipper
and a couple of bikes
exit 100 NJ
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
im kinda in the same situation,,,the wife and i just bought our first motorhome a 96 fleetwood storm, the po told us that the roof had a leak, we bought it on a whem,, very clean,,,but after getting it home we found it was a little worse than it looked the master bedroom wall was soaked and there was a pile of blue stuff in the floor(looked like rock salt) we peeled the paper off the wall and found it to be some of the insulation , not really bad and will be an easy fix,,,,i hope, we wanted to replace the floor covering so last night i pulled the old carpet and linolium up and the plywood was wet but not rotted thank goodness.. i think we caught this just in time to not go broke on a complete restoration--lol

me and the wife own mobile home park and do all the work ourself,s so alot of this is up our ally,,,im just happy to be restoring a house with a motor--lol

sorry for my rambling, im new here and to the world of rv,ing and just excited..

i have to wait untill spring to do the roof because of ky winter,s and none of my barns ,sheds, or garage is enough to put it in so i have it covered.., but will do the interior this winter and the roof the first chance i get when the weather allows,,then were off,,,,to where ever the road takes us..

best of luck and just have fun with your project...

bap is offline   Reply With Quote