Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #1

convert pvc roof to fiberglass?

Has anyone ever heard of replacing an old PVC roof with laid up fiberglass? The old original roof is totally shot and needs replacement. Quoted $4,500 to $10,000 to replace at various shops. Just wondering why I can't just repair and prep the wood now under the PVC and then just start keying up layers of fiberglass just like fiberglassing a wooden boat. Any input welcomed from those with experience in already doing this or those having fiberglassed a wooden boat. The motor home is 31' Gulf stream SunVoyager diesel pusher.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
You might consider a spray on roof.

RV Roof Sprayed Sealant

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #3

Eagleman,

As a long time boat builder that assemble more than a few fiberglass over wood decks and coach roofs (the sailboat kind - some were new build and some were replacement of canvas, I can tell you that this can be very successful and make a durable and water resistant structure.

Some cautions I will bring up:

Get the West Epoxy books on doing fiberglass work and read them through FIRST.

Do not try to save money on materials. Buy only first rate epoxy for this job, there are a bunch of reasons and one of the is NOT cost.

Any penetrations must be carefully planned and specifically prepared or water may leak into the substrate wood and cause it to degrade.

The surface of lay-up will be too rough (unless it is a working deck) and will require a layer of fill. This is just a layer of epoxy and filler thick enough to sand.

You should plan on painting the final surface as a UV protection. No plastics are any good at this and epoxy is no exception.

The oldest of mine, that I still know where is, is now over 30 years old. It still looks great and does not leak. It was repainted last year, but only for looks and color.

Matt
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

I have built F/G boats and overlaid wooden boat. First off you need to replace ALL luan that has had water touch it, not just rot but anything that has a slight stain. F/G will not stick. Second unless you have worked with glass before you won't like the outcome. Boat are built from the outside in,(color first) in a mold that's what makes it smooth.Doing it from the luan out takes HOURS of itchy, itchy grinding and sanding to get smooth. Did I mention ITCHY. Take a week or so to replace whats there or a couple months to do F/G. The choice is yours. A good place to read up on F/G repair is on iBOATS.COM in the restore and repair threads. John
Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are replacing a roof that is completely shot, the materials and methods are entirely up to you. There is no reason not to change the materials.

I have not done any research as to what kind of roof is best, and I do not plan on it. But I can give this advice.

Research all the different types. Aluminum, Fiberglass, Rubber (Assorted types) and so on, Find out what the cost, weight and life of the roof will be.. And then you will be in a position to make a decision .

And one request...

When you get the job done, please make a spreadsheet

The different types of roof on one axis, and the items I listed above on the other

Cost, Expected life,, Care needed, Weight

I might stress that Weight issue.. On some coaches, you put a different (heavier) roof on teh beast your cargo carrying capacity could well become negative.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Fiberglass resin over wood will made a great roof.
Fiberglass resin will adhere well to luan, been there, done that. It creates a really hard surface when dry. Weight should not be an issue.

Build up a lip with luan strip for ac and vents to sit on. Caulk/tape pipes and other things. Use strips of mesh at joints.

The resin will need a tinting agent to make jt uv resistant.

Fiberglass rein will also seal a leaking roof. Not permanent, but easy and cheap.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
To follow up.....

Just sealed the roof of our older 32' class a.
We put a paint-on rubber roof over wood a few years back (long story).

Rubber leached into the wood and began leaking. No rhyme or reason, just water everywhere.

Coated it with fiberglass resin. Got it at Home Depot. 2 gallons covered the entire roof. $75 for the lot.

Rained hard for 2 days afterwards and no leaks.

Going to re-wood and fiberglass coat as a new roof in the near future.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Years ago repaired and gelcoated my own boat. It turned out great with a lot of hard work. There are different resins epoxy and polyester.
1) Polyester has to be sealed from the outside air to cure correctly. You can use spray PVA(water soluble) or add wax to the resin. The same is true for the top coat of gelcoat and can be sprayed on by adding styrene or using a special additive called Duratec. The hardener needs to be doubled up on thin coats of gelcoat for it to setup and not be sticky. Gelcote also doesn't flex very well when cured. I think it would crack when you walked on it unless it had a good fiberglass backing. I purchased everything from here http://www.fgci.com/ and they gave me great tech support.

2) Epoxy bonds much better and is stronger. It does not hold up to UV rays and needs to be coated. I think epoxy would be better on top of a RV. I'm not sure how it holds up to flexing.

This is all from memory. However, I do have it all written down.

Huey
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #9

fiberglass roof

Matt et all,
Do you have any suggestions as to final thickness required? There is a fiberglass website that let's you enter your selections of fabrics, matts, fillers, foam and whatever to give you a final thickness and a bill of materials for the specified project length and width. If I have a suggested thickness then I can play around with different combinations of materials to determine costs. I have been using that website to calculate what it would cost to replace all of the deteriorated lower sides, exterior to fiberglass panels both fixed and hinged for basement storage and wheelwells.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
To follow up.....

Just sealed the roof of our older 32' class a.
We put a paint-on rubber roof over wood a few years back (long story).

Rubber leached into the wood and began leaking. No rhyme or reason, just water everywhere.

Coated it with fiberglass resin. Got it at Home Depot. 2 gallons covered the entire roof. $75 for the lot.

Rained hard for 2 days afterwards and no leaks.

Going to re-wood and fiberglass coat as a new roof in the near future.
F/G resin without mat or cloth is worthless,It will crack and peel off in no time. Resin MUST have cloth to react with. If you don't believe me go to ANY F/G place and ask. I live on Puget Sound and live about 5 mile from where Bayliner was started. About 2 miles from the old Rienell plant. I know a lot people that worked in those plants as well as Glasply and Olympic. Do what you what but coating AIN'T gonna work.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Btw, I used automotive fiberglass resin on the roof. Comes in a gallon can with hardener.

You can purchase color additives to mix in and provide uv protection. The protection is for the luan, not the resin. Auto parts store that sells paint will have it. Any color you want

The dried product weighs less than the wet resin.

Your original roof is luan/foam/luan, if it is a typical roof. The rubber/vinyl/EPDM/TPO covering did nothing for the strength, only kept water out.

I put resin on a test piece of luan first. Let it dry and then walked/jumped/beat on it. It is tuff stuff.

The fiberglass resin will seal and strengthen the luan. It doesn't require matting or mesh to be put down over the entire roof. Only the joints in the luan will need a strip of fiber mesh across them.

Edges, the 4 corners, and the roll over to the gutter/drip rail will need to be planned for. Transitions to fiberglass caps (front and/or rear) will need to have a joint and then caulked after the fiberglass is dry.

You will be spreading the resin onto the luan. Plastic body filler knives work well for this. Pour a large puddle and spread it out across the wood. Start at one end/corner and back your way down the Rv.

Fiberglass resin is also great for sealing up exposed wood under the Rv. Theses older Rv have lots of wood backing. Basement storage floor. Battery racks.

Mike
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #12

Cougarkid go to iBOATS.com and ask what your saying is TRUE before you give that advice. OR ANY F/G repair site or shop. Nothing personal so please don't take it that way,if someone just coats with resin they will be doing it all over in a year or so. Trust me on this. I have built 3 16' Driftboats starting with waxing the molds. Go on Criags list Seattle and search Driftboats. The Teal colored one is the last one I built.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Fishseeker,

So add a layer of mesh to the coating, make sure it is covered, and all is good?

Easy enough to do. Adds a bit to the cost, but not a deal killer.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #14

Well,

Sorry,

I just wrote out the whole job and the site gliched and lost it all I won't have time to do it again.

Matt

Tags
roof