Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Correct P/S Fluid for '83 P30 w/454 ?

I recently replaced the power steering gearbox due to sloppiness after 110k miles on the chassis. When draining the fluid I noticed it smelled and looked like hydraulic oil instead of old P/S fluid. My MH is an '83 Holiday Rambler with a 7.4L / 454 cu motor. The PS pump has always groaned a bit since I got it 6 mos. ago, and don't know if it is the original, but suspect it is. I put hydraulic fluid in it because the old fluid was light tan and didn't have that sweet smell of PS fluid or did it smell burnt or look like the familiar dark brownish red that old PS fluid looks like. If anyone has this vintage chassis could you tell me if yours has P/S fluid or hydraulic oil in the P/S system? I need an answer as soon as possible because we have committed to take our grand-daughter on spring break next week, and I'm feeling the pressure!

Many thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #2

the power stering fluid is almost clear give me a little ill pull up my manual
do you have a manual ?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #3

sorry i cant tell you i can hook you with the gm chassis manual and all appliances ect for a 1983 pace arrow ( bet its the same)
i bought mine at auto parts prestone brand
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

From the Chevrolet Motor Home Chassis Service Guide (pg 1-4)
Power steering fluid, GM Part No. 1050017 or equivalent.

Dave
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #5

i thought i had all my manuals. thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
GM PSF is nothing special, from what I see, all ordinary PSF bottles state that they are approved for GM, Ford, and Chrysler products that use ordinary PSF.

The only types of PSF I see that are special are the Pentosin products that are needed in many German cars, PSF for Hondas, and MOPAR MS-10838.

Synthetic PSF will improve the ease of steering, and the life of the system. Royal Purple, Redline, and Amsoil make PSF that will do the job for your GM Saginaw box...

Oh.. and sometimes engine oil or tranny oil is used in them things... Might have been what the previous owner did.

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Po...eringFluid.pdf

http://www.gates.com/common/download...n/428-7172.pdf
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions. I love your Sunvista. It reminds me of the 60's Olds Vista Cruiser wagons with the slanted skylights. It looks great, and has a very unique look.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #8

I always used plain ATF in my '83 Holiday Rambler. Dexron worked for me for years.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdoc View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I love your Sunvista. It reminds me of the 60's Olds Vista Cruiser wagons with the slanted skylights. It looks great, and has a very unique look.
Thanks! I remember those wagons as well... Also reminds me of the old Greyhound buses