Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
couple of questions please,

this may be a dumb question,but how do the house batteries charge on my1983 sportscoach. do they charge when the coach or generator is running or only while the shore line is plugged in. i do not have a 50 amp plug run out to my mh. yet, i have only had it for two weeks, also can anyone tell me where to turn on the water to the shower and bathroom sink.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My shower and sink are active when hooked to city water, or storage tank..
Your batteries should charge while the engine is running or with your gen.
Does your RV require a 50 amp plug in? Can't imagine 50 amps.on a 1983

Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #3

There should be a 30 amp cord in a compartment accessable from the outside somewhere. If it is like my '87 Itasca it is plugged into a socket on the coach for generator use, or unplug from coach and plug it into shore power.
There should be a hose fitting on the outside of the coach or in a small compartment to hook city water too. There should also be a connection to fill an on-board tank that has a 12v water pump in-line to supply water to the coach when not hooked up to city water.
look for a switch marked pump on a panel, probably near the kitchen sink.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
thank you all for the imput, i wasnt sure how the battereis charged, i have tried the pump switch and the pump works, however i only get water into the sink in the kitchen and the commode, have yet to find a valve to turn on the shower and bathroom sink. will try to hook it up to city water and see what happens. and yes this coach is 50 amp. thanks again.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame View Post
thank you all for the imput, i wasnt sure how the battereis charged, i have tried the pump switch and the pump works, however i only get water into the sink in the kitchen and the commode, have yet to find a valve to turn on the shower and bathroom sink. will try to hook it up to city water and see what happens. and yes this coach is 50 amp. thanks again.
It would seem someone has done some revamping of the coaches systems.
It is unusual for 1980's Class C coach to be 50 amp..so someone has upgraded the electrical system. If it were me, I would study the system and make up wiring diagrams etc. for my own edification.

It is unusual for the bathroom shower/sink water to have an independant shutoff..so is likely another re-do. All one can advise is to get a flashlight and trace all lines from input and see what you find.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #6

Also sometimes there is a switch to turn on a solenoid to charge the coach batteries from the engine alternator. Some rigs have an isolator that is hooked up in line to charge the coach batteries.
Use a voltmeter on the coach batteries when the engine is off and get the reading, then start the engine and see if the voltage increases. If not look for a switch.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #7

If you do not already have the manual for this unit:

Classic Sportscoach:
http://www.coachmenrv.com/owners/Own...s/14134949.pdf

Cross Country Sporstcoach:
http://www.coachmenrv.com/owners/Own...s/14140332.pdf

Pathfinder Sportscoach:
http://www.coachmenrv.com/owners/Own...s/14140336.pdf

There is lot's of Sportscoach information available here:
Vintage Sportscoach Owners HomePage

Dave
Old 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
there is a switch on the dash that pulls on like a light switch but i have yet to find what it is for the lights all work fine, i almost bet this is a switch to charge the batteries. thanks for the info, and i will try to find a valve to turn on the water to the shower and bath sink, i have yet to find it but will keep looking. thanks again guys,, oh and i did get all the manuals but they dont tell everything.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
just a quick update, when i bought this mh. the guy at candys campers said this coach was a 50 amp, well i found out per my manual and then looking at the plug that it is a 30 amp. great catch guys, i really had no idea till one of you mentioned it. thanks again this is a great place to learn new things, and i am very new to all this.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking update, to update.

well i have water in my shower and sink finnally found a turn on behind a small panel that looked like tile. now ive got all the systems up and going. this is a great place for info, thanks again guys. a little info goes a long way.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
just a quick update, when i bought this mh. the guy at candys campers said this coach was a 50 amp, well i found out per my manual and then looking at the plug that it is a 30 amp. great catch guys, i really had no idea till one of you mentioned it. thanks again this is a great place to learn new things, and i am very new to all this.
You and me a 55,000 others find this site helpful and encouraging.

On a tangent...there often are posts from folks asking if the RV sales guy should be trusted/believed...and the often answer is "not really". Yours is aother case in point. Obvious there are exceptions to the rule...but generally sales folks are sales folks and nothing more. As the great American Ronald Reagan said "Trust but verify"
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:

You can pick up one of these

Amazon.com: Conntek 14101 RV Adapter 15 Amp Male Plug To 30 Amp RV Female Connector: Patio, Lawn & Garden

online, at WalMart or any RV supply store and you should be fine for shore power at home if you don't have a 30 amp outlet.

Note: I'm not endorsing Amazon for this, it was just the first link that I found with a pic.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #13

if you use the 15 amp adapter you probably will not be able to run your a/c as this will overload the circuit or burn out the a/c compressor from low voltage.
Will be fine to run the lights and charge the batteries.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
if you use the 15 amp adapter you probably will not be able to run your a/c as this will overload the circuit or burn out the a/c compressor from low voltage.
Will be fine to run the lights and charge the batteries.

My A/C runs fine using this style adapter on a 15 amp breaker from the house. I'm not able to run the microwave and A/C at the same time. I'm not pretending to be an electrical "expert" here . . . but I don't think I'm risking burning out the compressor . . . why are you saying that the voltage is low???