Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Covering the opening of removed TV

Took out the old 15" TV that was installed in my dash. Needed to figure out what to do about the big hole in my dash. Found a tambour door kit the looks like it will fit perfect. It's made of oak and should match the cabinets after it's stained and varnished. Check it out http://www.amazon.com/Red-Oak-Hardwa...mbour+door+kit

They are available in various widths. I think it'll look like a factory install.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Sound like a perfect spot for the bar.

Jim

Old 03-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

One of the 2 things I hate about my coach is the location of the TV. I'd love to change it, but I just don't see anywhere/how to relocate it.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
One of the 2 things I hate about my coach is the location of the TV. I'd love to change it, but I just don't see anywhere/how to relocate it.
I have a 32" that I keep on a chair in the dinette when I'm moving. We move it to a ledge attached to the dash between the driver and passenger seats. It's a drink holder when the TVs not on it. The original TV was right behind it, so the power and antenna are right there. I have a Bose Wave radio I sit under it and use it as a sound bar. It works great. The TV is at the correct height and we can actually see it all the way from the bedroom. The only downfall is I can't keep it there while driving. The roll up door will hide the hole when the TV is stored.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
SMB

Removed the old heavy tubed TV from the dash of my '96 HR, put in shelves as I am lone traveler and need everything within reach, maps etc. Hung 36" flat from over-dash cabinets on swing down rack I found on Amazon. It stays up until needed, it swivels and can be seen from everywhere, and even when down does not interfere with driving vision. Actually does a nice job as a sun visor when heading SW into the sunset. All wiring was already in overhead so hook up was simple.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

I went to my local cabinet salvage and found a door that matched for $3.
mbridinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I went to my local cabinet salvage and found a door that matched for $3.
Had no idea cabinet salvage existed.. Learned something new today.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB View Post
Removed the old heavy tubed TV from the dash of my '96 HR, put in shelves as I am lone traveler and need everything within reach, maps etc. Hung 36" flat from over-dash cabinets on swing down rack I found on Amazon. It stays up until needed, it swivels and can be seen from everywhere, and even when down does not interfere with driving vision. Actually does a nice job as a sun visor when heading SW into the sunset. All wiring was already in overhead so hook up was simple.
I considered this, but my overhead cabinets leave no room for the rack.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #9

I found some slats from an old piece of furniture and just screwed them into the frame, then mounted the new flat screen bracket to them. I left a slot underneath for paperwork. I know it's a big wasted space, and I thought about a bar there, but too much weight up high can't be a good idea in the long run. Besides, I would not want to bruise the Bourbon.

During a trip on the lovely roads around Winnipeg I swear I thought the old tv was going to crash through on my head. I yanked it out at our place in Minnedosa MB and threw it away.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

I took out the front tv and found an old cabinet style stereo in a thrift store and used it for a surround sound system for my new tv. I took a new flat screen tv and after we removed the booth unit I built a tv cabinet and fireplace on the back wall and went to folding chairs we can store. It looks great and gives us much more space.
Here are some pics.
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160306_152529356_HDR.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	123319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160306_152552875.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	123320  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160306_153142405.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	123321  
Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdebarmore View Post
Took out the old 15" TV that was installed in my dash. Needed to figure out what to do about the big hole in my dash. Found a tambour door kit the looks like it will fit perfect. It's made of oak and should match the cabinets after it's stained and varnished. Check it out http://www.amazon.com/Red-Oak-Hardwa...mbour+door+kit

They are available in various widths. I think it'll look like a factory install.
Ordered the wrong kit... I need flush mount rails. What I ordered was for face frame type cabinet. I not much of a carpenter. Flush rail kit is on the way. I'll post a pic when done.