Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Already said by the 1st responder.

I'd go with towable for the same reason. Your powertrain is a known factor and that kind of a trip in something you have no idea what it's been through????....

Put your $$ into a nice used towable. Get the SMALLEST one that fits your needs. Get new tires, have the brakes and bearings done. If there are any items like a genset, refer, stove etc get them looked at too.

Ditto your tow rig.

You should have no problem getting what you need and getting all those services done within your budget.

5ers pull nicer but you said you didn't want to go that route. Don't rule it out until you've had a chance to pull both. Whomever you are buying from will have something to pull both kinds, try them. If they are unwilling to let you drag the thing around for 20 min then buy elsewhere.

Before I get blasted that 20 min isn't long enough to know what you're doing it is long enough to get an idea of how they both pull and what turns, backing etc are like with each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
Hwy has improved a bit since then, but there is always seasonal maintenance for the frost heaves so there are still trucks running at speed throwing rocks everywhere, good by big picture window.
Optimist are ya?
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #16

You want to do exactly what i want to do,, Fl. to Alaska,, get a class A diesel pusher , its the only way to go,, better gas mileage, better comfort while driving, and all the amenities without getting out in bad weather,,, and perfect for towing the jeep. The Price range your in ,, like me,,, get a 90's era cream puff DP,do not get a gasoline rig ,,,find a coach like the one i found and don't look back! It will have some problems, they all do, but none you can't fix plus it will make you more knowledgeable about your coach. If i can do it anyone can , trust me, i got analysis paralysis trying to figure out which route to go in the end it became obvious. The gas vs diesel class A debate for me boiled down to four needs,,,,,,,,1) SIZE not to big 40' not to small 30',,, 35' just right 2) ride comfort ,ford and chevy chassis rattle everything and can't give you the comfortable ride of a diesel chassis , 2) fuel mileage,,, diesel gives you double the mileage and 3) drive train longevity(engine and trans)/ dependability my drive train should be good to 500k miles properly maintained,, gas rigs,,not a chance. The DP wins out in the top four priorities in my needs list ,, the rest just comes with it, like the icing on a cake. Check my thread out and if need be i can keep an eye out for anything that pops up in my area of Fl.for you.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #17

Thanks for all the replies and viewpoints. It gives me a lot to think about. I understand about the time limitations but nowhere near retiring yet and I only have 6 weeks of vacation during the year. I have to save at least a couple of weeks for the other stuff that comes up in life. I will just have to drive it like I stole it on the way there and back. I like the idea of a diesel pusher but so far have found them to be ill kept in my price range. I may yet stumble across one like yours Blitzkreig but that may be wishful thinking. I have looked at a few small 5th wheels and think that could be a viable option also. I haven't found a Airstream in my price range yet either and all the travel trailers I looked at sort of look weak for the conditions I hear about. Let me know some of the trailers that you guys have towed up there.
tatill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatill View Post
Thanks for all the replies and viewpoints. It gives me a lot to think about. I understand about the time limitations but nowhere near retiring yet and I only have 6 weeks of vacation during the year. I have to save at least a couple of weeks for the other stuff that comes up in life. I will just have to drive it like I stole it on the way there and back. I like the idea of a diesel pusher but so far have found them to be ill kept in my price range. I may yet stumble across one like yours Blitzkreig but that may be wishful thinking. I have looked at a few small 5th wheels and think that could be a viable option also. I haven't found a Airstream in my price range yet either and all the travel trailers I looked at sort of look weak for the conditions I hear about. Let me know some of the trailers that you guys have towed up there.
This may be your lucky day,,,, i may have a cream puff DP for you ! PM me
Old 03-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #19

A lot depends on where and how you plan to stay. If you are going to be in full service campgrounds with bath houses, etc. Get yourself something very small, but well built, my personal choice would probably be a Casita or maybe a Scamp. With the Casita I would opt for the high lift axle and the heavier D weight range tires, keep it simple, and hit the road with your current truck, you should barely notice it is back there. The 16 or 17 ft models give you a bed a small kitchen and a minimally functional bathroom, water tankage is a bit limited, but enough for 1 or 2 nights if you are conservative.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
You want to do exactly what i want to do,, Fl. to Alaska,, get a class A diesel pusher , its the only way to go,, better gas mileage, better comfort while driving, and all the amenities without getting out in bad weather,,, and perfect for towing the jeep. The Price range your in ,, like me,,, get a 90's era cream puff DP,do not get a gasoline rig ,,,find a coach like the one i found and don't look back! It will have some problems, they all do, but none you can't fix plus it will make you more knowledgeable about your coach. If i can do it anyone can , trust me, i got analysis paralysis trying to figure out which route to go in the end it became obvious. The gas vs diesel class A debate for me boiled down to four needs,,,,,,,,1) SIZE not to big 40' not to small 30',,, 35' just right 2) ride comfort ,ford and chevy chassis rattle everything and can't give you the comfortable ride of a diesel chassis , 2) fuel mileage,,, diesel gives you double the mileage and 3) drive train longevity(engine and trans)/ dependability my drive train should be good to 500k miles properly maintained,, gas rigs,,not a chance. The DP wins out in the top four priorities in my needs list ,, the rest just comes with it, like the icing on a cake. Check my thread out and if need be i can keep an eye out for anything that pops up in my area of Fl.for you.
I've been on the blogs looking at the trip to Alaska and share your idea of the diesel pusher. Jane has a hundred gallon tank and we averaged about 11.5 miles per gallon at 65 or so. We're completely self contained with the limiting factors being propane and holding tanks. The generator is propane powered and that can be minimized with the addition of the solar system I have in hand but not installed. The biggest negative about an Alaska trip this year is our appreciation for off grid camping at 7,000' outside of Flagstaff Arizona with my dad. He'll be 91 a week from tomorrow and looks like we have many years of camping with him ahead of us. But that's not a given. So we might concentrate this year on Arizona mountains this summer.

We have a Casita and my appreciation for it is limited. If someone wanted to use a pickup with a shell or a van for a tow vehicle so they could carry extra water and supplies for the Casita that might work for them. But for me if I was going to have to deal with that limited space a camper and four wheel drive truck would be preferable.

With the diesel and toad I think we have the best of all worlds. We have the home with us and we have the mobility to visit on and off grid to our heart's content. For some a tent is enough. I'm happy for them.