Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
How many classic Vogue owners do we have as members on this site? Stand up and be counted, please!

I am a couple days away from buying a usually garaged like new '85 33' twin bed Vogue, blue stripes outside and blue decor inside, with about 65k miles on it. I am waiting on the seller to fix a couple A/C problems, in dash and rear unit, before I pay him our last agreed upon price.

Anyone else know of another possibly larger motorhome forum where one as myself might recruit Vogue owners to join together and create a classic Vogue Club for sharing info and meeting up around the country on a regular basis? I know there used to be a club like that 20-30 yrs ago, but it doesn't seem to be going now. Maybe a lot of those old timers have passed on (or their coaches have). I read an article this week but don't remember the details, except they said something to the effect that there were 30 of some year/model/or whatever made and 27 had been accounted for recently. Implying that all but 3 were still running around somewhere. Wish I could remember which particularly they were referring to. Will have to go find it again, since I lost it when my PC went off in middle of night and I lost that page I had open. Hopefully, I can find it in my history list of hundreds of pages I open every couple of hours.
Am in the same situation Bob. I've posted a number of times on the forum here in a couple of places. The 83 I am looking at seems to be what I want and has been maintained extremely well. However just as I was about to pull the trigger I became aware of some new information that has sort of got me wondering about the current seller. I called to make a deal and he was not home. For whatever reason his wife launched into a sales spiel. She told me things he had not - - like the fact that they had only owned it a little over a year and never drove it anywhere. They used it for temporary housing while they were having a house built. The tires all need replacing and he contended he'd driven some 4300 miles on them and they were fine. Anyway, here's the thing. I believe the coach to be worth the $10,000 asking price except the wife told me they paid $10,000 and there is the issue of having to buy 8 -$400 tires plus mounting and balancing and excise taxes, so probably $450 each installed ($3600). Then it needs a bumper to bumper service. All fluids changed including trans and differential etc. So there's another $600 so I am looking at $4,200 after he sale before I drive it any distance. If I pay $10,000 then I'm way over the NADA book for this coach before I've driven it very far.
So I guess what it comes down to is would all of you buy this rig (everything has been replaced at some point in the last 10 years-- - fridge, roof A/C units, furnace, inverter, converter, batteries and most importantly a brand new 502 crate engine 4400 miles ago plus a total rebuild of the trans) Sorry if I sound like some sort of dilitante but I've bought things like this before and they became dry wells I filled with money. At the end of the day, a Vogue being a Vogue is this rig worth $10,000 or should I hold fast to my bottom line offer of $8,500. I am totally new to RVing and don't want to break the bank here. If I was willing to pony up a lot more cash I really like the 94 Vogue Prima Vista diesel pushers with the Cummins 300 and Allison trans. but those are in the $50k-$70k range.
Thanks for all the good advice in the various threads we've kicked this around. I've learned a lot about RV's and especially Vogues.
__________________

__________________
VogueLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueLover View Post
Am in the same situation Bob. I've posted a number of times on the forum here in a couple of places. The 83 I am looking at seems to be what I want and has been maintained extremely well. However just as I was about to pull the trigger I became aware of some new information that has sort of got me wondering about the current seller. I called to make a deal and he was not home. For whatever reason his wife launched into a sales spiel. She told me things he had not - - like the fact that they had only owned it a little over a year and never drove it anywhere. They used it for temporary housing while they were having a house built. The tires all need replacing and he contended he'd driven some 4300 miles on them and they were fine. Anyway, here's the thing. I believe the coach to be worth the $10,000 asking price except the wife told me they paid $10,000 and there is the issue of having to buy 8 -$400 tires plus mounting and balancing and excise taxes, so probably $450 each installed ($3600). Then it needs a bumper to bumper service. All fluids changed including trans and differential etc. So there's another $600 so I am looking at $4,200 after he sale before I drive it any distance. If I pay $10,000 then I'm way over the NADA book for this coach before I've driven it very far.
So I guess what it comes down to is would all of you buy this rig (everything has been replaced at some point in the last 10 years-- - fridge, roof A/C units, furnace, inverter, converter, batteries and most importantly a brand new 502 crate engine 4400 miles ago plus a total rebuild of the trans) Sorry if I sound like some sort of dilitante but I've bought things like this before and they became dry wells I filled with money. At the end of the day, a Vogue being a Vogue is this rig worth $10,000 or should I hold fast to my bottom line offer of $8,500. I am totally new to RVing and don't want to break the bank here. If I was willing to pony up a lot more cash I really like the 94 Vogue Prima Vista diesel pushers with the Cummins 300 and Allison trans. but those are in the $50k-$70k range.
Thanks for all the good advice in the various threads we've kicked this around. I've learned a lot about RV's and especially Vogues.
Hi, my "new" 85 Vogue, which I purchased a couple months ago now, has been made as new as I can get it. I ended up paying $7000 for mine knowing, like usual, that I would problably spend up to that much more making it as perfect as I could. My mechanic had it for a week, as did Camping World, then off to my detailer to polish and wax the whole thing. Mine was supposedly like new according to the seller I bought it from, but I know better when it comes to, especially an overly outfitted quality item like a Vogue RV, any auto, motorbike, trailer, or MH.

Feel free to give me a call (# is on my info/profile page) one late afternoon or eve, and I will answer some of your thoughts and questions. There is a lot you should know and think about so that you won't be surprised by anything. In general though, I don't think you can go wrong sinking any amount into a good quality Vogue. They are rare, classic, and would probably cost new around half a million if they made them today to the quality and with the high end extras they put on these back in the 80s. Just my opinion, but I will stand firmly on it. To have a classic quality RV, like a Vogue, and have anything less than $25-30k in it, should make one proud and very happy.
__________________

__________________
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
Hi, my "new" 85 Vogue, which I purchased a couple months ago now, has been made as new as I can get it. I ended up paying $7000 for mine knowing, like usual, that I would problably spend up to that much more making it as perfect as I could. My mechanic had it for a week, as did Camping World, then off to my detailer to polish and wax the whole thing. Mine was supposedly like new according to the seller I bought it from, but I know better when it comes to, especially an overly outfitted quality item like a Vogue RV, any auto, motorbike, trailer, or MH.

Feel free to give me a call (# is on my info/profile page) one late afternoon or eve, and I will answer some of your thoughts and questions. There is a lot you should know and think about so that you won't be surprised by anything. In general though, I don't think you can go wrong sinking any amount into a good quality Vogue. They are rare, classic, and would probably cost new around half a million if they made them today to the quality and with the high end extras they put on these back in the 80s. Just my opinion, but I will stand firmly on it. To have a classic quality RV, like a Vogue, and have anything less than $25-30k in it, should make one proud and very happy.
WOW San Marcos. I live in Poway. I have a summer home on Sebago Lake in Maine which is where I am now. The Vogue I am talking about here came from San Diego. I have almost $80,000 in receipts from Marty Moore's RV in San Diego dated between 2000 and 2010 when the motor was replaced. There is gap in any service records between 2010 and now. It looks to me like the owner's brother (the owner died) parked the vehicle in 2010 and it sat until the current owner found it on the internet in late early 2013. So in spite of all that great maintenance it sat unused somewhere for three years.

However, I think what you are saying about the cost of a new rig built to the standards of a Vogue is the bottom line in the deal here and I am going to take one last shot at a price less than $10k and then buy one way or another. Thanks for the advice and I'll look you up when I get back to Poway in the fall.

Brian
__________________
VogueLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
excuse me the current owner bought it late 2012 so actually maybe two years or thereabouts of sitting but the current owner did not do any service at all as his wife says it was parked and used as housing and not RVing
__________________
VogueLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #33
Member
 
bryguymi's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ionia, MI
Posts: 41
Formation of Vintage Vogue Country Club?

Hey all, any further interest in SissyBoyBob's idea of the formation of a Vintage Vogue club?

Bryan
__________________
bryguymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguymi View Post
Hey all, any further interest in SissyBoyBob's idea of the formation of a Vintage Vogue club?

Bryan
I am still, but am real busy right now painting my house. Why don't we talk about how to go about doing that, such as start a facebook page, or some other place or site. Also recruiting Vogue owners from other RV sites. Etc.
__________________
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #35
Junior Member
 
wookieerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 12
i'm in! i can put something together for us. i do websites/graphics/socia media.
__________________
wookieerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #36
Junior Member
 
wookieerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 12
how about "Vogue Lovers Club"? that way we aren't limiting it to only owners. there are lots of people who love vogues but haven't purchased one yet and are looking.
__________________
wookieerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:43 AM   #37
Junior Member
 
wookieerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 12
i went ahead and got voguelovers.com. i'll have it up and running asap. for now here is a facebook page for us.. i'll update with progress here:
https://www.facebook.com/vogueloversclub
__________________
wookieerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
My RV archives site, ViewRVs.com, also has a forum for Vogue owners.

Vogue Motorhome photo archives
ViewRVs.com - Vogue Forums

Feel free to use the area. I can add sub-sections as you need. Just let me know.
__________________
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20 MH
ViewFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
Still have not bought this Vogue. The current owner and I seem to be in a Mexican standoff. I've offered $7,500 with the intent of coming up to $8.500 but he's not countered on te $75 other than to say " the price is $10,000" I said no, your sign says "or best offer, do you have a better offer than $7,500" at which point he said he had to go and would call back. This was five days ago. The coach is still sitting where I found it, still a for sale sign. My friends think he's trying to wait me out. I KNOW I am trying to wait him out. I will pay $8,500 even though I feel it's correct worth is $7,500 because over time the $1,000 isn't a big deal, but after adding up everything I need to do to drive this coach cross country, I've come up with $5,000 to spend after purchase. That puts me at $13,500. I've found two other 83/84 Vogue II's in the $15,000 and under range that advertise two year old tires and recent services. So I am "assuming" I could drive away in one of these (probably not but it's nice to assume LOL) In any event, the man is stubborn. He refuses to understand why his 8 and 12 year old tires are worthless. He points to them and gets all red in the face saying how few miles they have on them and how there are no cracks or checks in the sidewalls etc etc. And as far as the entire coach needing a major clean, rub out, seal and buff on the fiberglass, fuhgedaboutit, he doesn't even seem to thing that amounts to anything. "it's dirty he says" Sooooooooo, much as I really really like this coach I am doubtful I am going to be it's next owner. I think there's one in Georgia that has my name on it.
__________________
VogueLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueLover View Post
Still have not bought this Vogue. The current owner and I seem to be in a Mexican standoff. I've offered $7,500 with the intent of coming up to $8.500 but he's not countered on te $75 other than to say " the price is $10,000" I said no, your sign says "or best offer, do you have a better offer than $7,500" at which point he said he had to go and would call back. This was five days ago. The coach is still sitting where I found it, still a for sale sign. My friends think he's trying to wait me out. I KNOW I am trying to wait him out. I will pay $8,500 even though I feel it's correct worth is $7,500 because over time the $1,000 isn't a big deal, but after adding up everything I need to do to drive this coach cross country, I've come up with $5,000 to spend after purchase. That puts me at $13,500. I've found two other 83/84 Vogue II's in the $15,000 and under range that advertise two year old tires and recent services. So I am "assuming" I could drive away in one of these (probably not but it's nice to assume LOL) In any event, the man is stubborn. He refuses to understand why his 8 and 12 year old tires are worthless. He points to them and gets all red in the face saying how few miles they have on them and how there are no cracks or checks in the sidewalls etc etc. And as far as the entire coach needing a major clean, rub out, seal and buff on the fiberglass, fuhgedaboutit, he doesn't even seem to thing that amounts to anything. "it's dirty he says" Sooooooooo, much as I really really like this coach I am doubtful I am going to be it's next owner. I think there's one in Georgia that has my name on it.
VogueLover,

You are doing everything correct. The tires should be replaced at 7 years per every industry expert. I don't recall anyone saying longer. I dealt with the same issue on a 1990 Foretravel I tried to purchase. A complete set of RV tires is a MAJOR expense and some sellers don't want to face up to that!

Having money set aside for repairs it also wise. I receive many inquires about folks wanting a vintage RV and I tell them all to save money (several thousand) for repairs. I don't care how good a shape the unit looks, they all need some repairs.
__________________
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20 MH
ViewFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
My whole issue here is the amount of money that was sunk into the Vogue by Owner #2. I have invoices from Marty Moore's RV shop in San Diego dating from 2000 to 2010 that total $80,000. The largest chunk of it being $25,000 for a brand new 502 crate motor and a complete rebuild of the transmission. The roof air, furnaces, satellite unit, fridge, stove, microwave, toilet and on and on have been replaced. There's even a $4,000 hydraulic lift for that tag axle. Push a button and up it comes. I say this in way of explainng why I have spent so much time with this owner. I've bought a few used things in my life and I know when something has been cared for and when it hasn't and this Vogue is mechanically as solid as any used vehicle I'm going to find barring the tires.
Off on a tangent, I was wondering if anyone with a rear bath has ever tried putting a Queen bed in place of the two twins forward of the bath ? I did some measuring and it appears that if I pulled out the overhead bins on one side and installed the bed athwartships it'd work very easily and well. Since I intend to rip out the carpet anyway and put down tile and hardwood flooring, this does not seem like much of a job beyond building a base for the bed. I'd have to redo a bit of the upper wall where I pull out the overheads on one side. Does this sound sensible to you folks who've been out there living the RV life. I got the idea when I was watching a program on RV's and I noticed they mount King Beds in the sliders athwartships in the new high end coaches. Any comments or suggestions ?
__________________
VogueLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #42
Junior Member
 
gabevest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
We just purchased a 1989 Vogue Prima Vista. We are in the process of remodeling it. We look forward to being a part of the community.
__________________

__________________
ViaVogue
1989 Vogue 35 ft Prima Vista
gabevest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Forza owners out there? hogdriver Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 15 07-04-2014 07:18 AM
Thor Owners Forum Central NY Class C Motorhome Discussions 3 02-25-2014 02:16 PM
Humor for pet owners Dmorgan6375 RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 3 02-21-2014 07:22 PM
Calling All Ventana Le Owners Yianni Newmar Owner's Forum 9 02-18-2014 07:17 PM
New motorhome owners need help! National Seabreeze susanandmike Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 06-02-2013 12:10 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.