Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Dang my butt’s sore!

1992 “Challenger” by Damon. Asking price $6500. 454 engine on Chevy frame, 115,000 miles. Took the guys word that the repair in the corner of the bedroom was professionally done, and all damage repaired. Tires appeared serviceable, but I didn’t ask. New carpet, new flooring, air conditioning hoses and belts under the hood, new brake linings and hoses all around, all systems function as new. Paid asking price....
A closer look at tires, both inside rear tires bald on the inside. $840 for 4 rear tires, mechanic points out the fact that front tires were installed in August of 2000. Another $420 for front tires. Today, wife calls me to the bedroom, where water is dripping onto the end table, and stained curtains and bedding after vehicle sat unused for 6 weeks. Found rear corner where previous repair damp and spongy. Used carpet knife to remove material, found where water seeping in from running light base at top rear.
Apologized to wife for us getting ripped off, and both decide to repair and get our moneys worth out of vehicle. Removed ALL damage, all other areas dry. Repair begins tomorrow. Hope someone learns from my naieviety!
Phoelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoelix View Post
1992 “Challenger” by Damon. Asking price $6500. 454 engine on Chevy frame, 115,000 miles. Took the guys word that the repair in the corner of the bedroom was professionally done, and all damage repaired. Tires appeared serviceable, but I didn’t ask. New carpet, new flooring, air conditioning hoses and belts under the hood, new brake linings and hoses all around, all systems function as new. Paid asking price....
A closer look at tires, both inside rear tires bald on the inside. $840 for 4 rear tires, mechanic points out the fact that front tires were installed in August of 2000. Another $420 for front tires. Today, wife calls me to the bedroom, where water is dripping onto the end table, and stained curtains and bedding after vehicle sat unused for 6 weeks. Found rear corner where previous repair damp and spongy. Used carpet knife to remove material, found where water seeping in from running light base at top rear.
Apologized to wife for us getting ripped off, and both decide to repair and get our moneys worth out of vehicle. Removed ALL damage, all other areas dry. Repair begins tomorrow. Hope someone learns from my naieviety!
Even the best laid plans of mice and men sometimes will bite you in the pooter!
Get 'er straighten out ... Then run the wheels off of it.

One thing to check with the GM chassis and a warning...
On the left frame rail where it passes by the left exhaust manifold.. The main wiring loom is tucked into that rail..re zip tie the wiring loom and then shield it from the heat generated by the manifold.....don't ask....bad boogie that..
The next is a warning..
With the 454 GM engine...IF you pull a hill up to a viewpoint or pull a steep hill and immediately park.... let the engine idle for a few minutes to cool down before you shut it off.. otherwise you run the risk or cracking an exhaust manifold or snapping off the manifold bolts...don't ask...bad boogie as well and spendy

Happy challenges....NOW Git after It!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #3

You're not the first and won't be the last. It does suck but when buying used it's rare to be told the truth about everything. It's also hard to see everything that may be an issue until you spend some time in it.

Like Saddlesore said "Get 'er straighten out ... Then run the wheels off of it."
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the encouraging words! That engine runs really sweet, can’t even tell she’s running! I think the seller meant well....but I could have got that MH for $4000 EASY!
Phoelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

They all need work. But it sounds like you ran into the Mitchells as they're known in Texas. Mitchells are Russian gypsies via Canada and then Louisiana and they're specialty is RV's and used cars.

Our toy hauler had a severe delamination issue, we're talking coming apart at the seams delamination issue. They approached us and I didn't want to sell because even with the issue my wife loved it. They paid my price, $3,500.00. Kid explained to me his mom would be so happy to get it because it was just what they wanted. And, surprise surprise, she could fix it too. We used up a roll of duct tape to secure it for their moving it off the property.

Two weeks later it was on Craig's List for $8,500.00 for two days. I doubt very seriously that they could have fixed the delamination so I figure the next owner found it unpeeling the first time they got up to speed.

Then I ran into them again. This time I was the buyer and I noticed the seller had a white new dually with wide whitewalls, our buyer had a new red dually with wide whitewalls. That got my curiosity up and I did some research. They prowl the backroads looking for old RVs and cars and try to pick them up. Then they shine them up and flip them, it's how they can afford the big white walled pickemups.

Never buy an RV from someone who wasn't the owner on the title. That's one of the Mitchells trademarks, they never change the title over into their name and it's always a great story why they didn't.

I've ran into them in Texas and Arizona.

The good thing is if you can fix it yourself and do it correctly you can end up with a great RV because a cosmetic issue really drives down the price and can be fixed.