Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #15

I'm not sure exactly how to answer your question. There isn't a lot of upgrading of anything except for the redoing of all the surfaces from front-to-back.

The only systems upgrade is in the electrical. Since I don't have a generator it's all solar. There is one panel on the roof, but it's not going to be enough to keep the three house batteries charged, so I'll be adding there. I also added an inverter. I'm limited to having just under 1500 watts available through the inverter. I have found a place to park where I will have access to a 15 amp outlet, so about the same limit. I bought a cheap inverter that has had pretty good feedback on the web (Tiger Claw) and have been using it to power the tools in the renovation. It's been working really well in that guise, the only negative I have so far is that the label on it's pretty ugly.

The platform for the bed is custom, since I'm changing from a 2-twin arrangement to 1-full bed and having to work around the placement of the water tank and water heater.

Appliances will remain the same if they're in working order, otherwise will be replaced with new ones.

I guess the biggest "upgrade" is the removal of the dinette and the addition (yet to be installed) wood/laminate flooring in that area.

Your 1988 Itasca Sunflyer should be similar to this one, I think. DO you have photos of it now? And have you thought much about what you want to do with it?
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
I'm not sure exactly how to answer your question. There isn't a lot of upgrading of anything except for the redoing of all the surfaces from front-to-back.

The only systems upgrade is in the electrical. Since I don't have a generator it's all solar. There is one panel on the roof, but it's not going to be enough to keep the three house batteries charged, so I'll be adding there. I also added an inverter. I'm limited to having just under 1500 watts available through the inverter. I have found a place to park where I will have access to a 15 amp outlet, so about the same limit. I bought a cheap inverter that has had pretty good feedback on the web (Tiger Claw) and have been using it to power the tools in the renovation. It's been working really well in that guise, the only negative I have so far is that the label on it's pretty ugly.

The platform for the bed is custom, since I'm changing from a 2-twin arrangement to 1-full bed and having to work around the placement of the water tank and water heater.

Appliances will remain the same if they're in working order, otherwise will be replaced with new ones.

I guess the biggest "upgrade" is the removal of the dinette and the addition (yet to be installed) wood/laminate flooring in that area.

Your 1988 Itasca Sunflyer should be similar to this one, I think. DO you have photos of it now? And have you thought much about what you want to do with it?
The link below is the day I bought it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/new-t...ru-262755.html

Link to the exterior color project:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/1988-...ds-265682.html

Still not done with the painting the sides are done just need to think about what to do with the rear cap and the front end.

When I was saying upgrades I was referring to changes your making to not look like the 80's

As soon as football season is over I will be ripping out the carpet and putting down laminate flooring. I want to find some used leather captian chairs for upfront or recover the the ones that are there but might be cheaper to replace. All of my appliances work so not changing anything there. As you can see I have the full bed in back already. We will be painting inside as well and the wife has some ideas for the kitchen and bathroom to make it a little more modern.

Have fun!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #17

I'm nearing the completion of the first phase and will be moving in by the end of the month.
Before:

This is the same space now. The rose velour and turquoise dinette set that turned into a really uncomfortable bed is gone. In fact it wasn't even comfortable to sit at. All taken out and replaced by a small built-in computer desk and the windows are covered by grass cloth panels that slide along an aluminum track and give soft, filtered light in the room. For darkness and night time privacy, there is a room darkening roller blind that can be drawn behind the window panels. I'm also still shopping for proper furniture for the space.

After:

There were some big projects that got done. The skylight over the shower got replaced, as did the water pump for the house plumbing, the refrigerator with a 4.4 cu.ft one that's so quiet I thought it wasn't working. I also rebuilt and extended the house electrical system with three new batteries, a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter and an automatic transfer switch to run 120 vac to all the outlets when there is no shore power connected.

The weather slowed things down a bit, but that was good. I kept finding small leaks, a couple in really odd places that took some thought to figure out. Better to go through that when it's empty rather than after it's full of stuff. The other thing that slowed me down was a new prescription. It took a few weeks for me to realize that the fatigue and leg stiffness that was creeping up on me was related to some medicine I was taking.

Here is the bedroom half:

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I could have used a couple of feet more in length, as it's a little tight overall. The original floor plan had twin beds. Unfortunately there's not enough room to put a bed in the center without turning it sideways. Also, there is the fresh water tank on one side and the water heater on the other. I built a platform to enclose both and it gives me storage space in the center third and some additional storage, accessible from outside and a safe on the driver's side third.

At the foot of the bed is a custom built table, solid mahogany and maple with a birdseye maple center panel. I'm putting a 32" LCD television there. The window coverings I'm not completely happy with, but they were cheap at $6 a panel ($36 total) and a perfect color match, so they'll stay for now. Side table and lamp by the bed. The far side has about a 6" wide ledge along it with an AC outlet. There's a sink in the area, with a medicine cabinet (on which I managed to crack the mirror).

The laminate flooring arrived today, so that can start going in. Then I can clean up the kitchen area and take a photo of that. It'll get a new countertop later on and probably needs a new microwave, as I suspect a 30-year-old one isn't going to work very well.

My goal was to have it not feel like you're in an RV and I think I managed to do that. At any rate it's definitely a lot better than when I got it:

Old 02-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #18

About the microwave. My original microwave took up a huge amount of space over the gas range. I took it out and purchased a very small 700watt microwave for $39 from Walmart. After removing a cabinet over the refrigerator I mounted it on top of the refrigerator with sheet metal screws, (Warning! - I’m tall so it’s okay but I’ve found shorter folks have a problem with the location). Anyhow, I now have a bunch of storage space right over the gas range and as far as the puny microwave, it works just fine only it takes about 25% longer to cook things, since 25% typically means an extra 1-2 minutes I can live with that.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #19

I hadn't thought about moving the microwave, although it would be really easy for me. I have a space under the refrigerator about 20" x 24" that I haven't decided what to do with it.

btw ... What is that ladder thing on the back of the bathroom door for? It's too narrow for a towel rack and it can't hold anything. It must have some purpose, but I can't figure out what that might be. Maybe there's something missing?
Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I used a product called Kilz to cover up things like that. I ended up putting on 3 coats before finally painting. Here are a few pics of before, during and after. Good luck!

Before

During the remodel

After
looks nice and clean but, don't paint the hinges

Tags
rving