Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Been slowly working on it. A real bear to remove. Leaving MH tomorrow morning to go home and work on some chores, projects there. Will get back in a week or two. Will bring back one of the eraser wheels when I return and will try that.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #16

3m Eraser Wheel

Just did it with a 3M eraser wheel. Used about 3/4 of the eraser on 1 side of a 33 footer. Could not be any easier.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #17

As a retired vinyl sigh maker, we redid a lot of RV vinyl stripping, We used a heat gun, (a serious heat gun) a razar blade scraper and the most important, get a commercial grade adhesive remover from a sign supply co. the biggest problem we had was the paint under the vinyl was always not faded and required buffing to it close to the faded paint. Its not easy and not fast, but it took a long time for the vinyl to get that way, good luck Mike.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #18

I'm with Mikee!

If the heat gun didn't do the trick, you probably just didn't have a big enough gun. Although, as the heat range goes up, you do have to watch over exposure, either on the coach, or you, as either can be damaged if you get careless.

What doesn't come of easily with a good heat gun will come off with some work, using the eraser. I did like the photo of the individual using a steamer. Not sure steam would get hot enough. Certainly not the ones you see advertised on tv! They might also be helpful on the glue residue. Or maybe just wash it down the side of the RV, I don't know.

However you do it, it will be work and will require buffing the surrounding area or reapplying new tape or paint work, due to the lack of exposure to areas under the original material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesWW View Post
As a retired vinyl sigh maker, we redid a lot of RV vinyl stripping, We used a heat gun, (a serious heat gun) a razar blade scraper and the most important, get a commercial grade adhesive remover from a sign supply co. the biggest problem we had was the paint under the vinyl was always not faded and required buffing to it close to the faded paint. Its not easy and not fast, but it took a long time for the vinyl to get that way, good luck Mike.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Naphtha will take the adhesive off easy but it evaporates fast. Cant buy it in CA by it's self, but can buy 3M adhesive remover mixed with acetone and something else in aerosol can. Works good on a blue scrubby pad/sponge. Bought it where body/paint shops buy their supplies.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks everyone. I have ordered the eraser wheel. I have tried the 3M decal and adhesive remover and it does seem to soften the vinyl and then I have had some luck with a razor blade. Under the stripe is gelcoat fiberglass. And I will paint this area when I finally get all of the stripe and adhesive off. Putting on primer first. The stripe is about 7" by around 80'. That is a lot of stripe. New HVLP paint gun from Eastwood also ordered. I will be going back to MH to work on it late this next weekend, probably Sunday afternoon, starting to work on it Monday morning. Thanks again.

ronspradley

Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
When I did ours last year, after trying all sorts of scrapers and all different solvents, I found the eraser wheel to be the fastest and least destructive.

I didn't used the 3m branded one, I used one from a local auto paint supply place and I think it was around $15 or so.
Anyway, I ended up buying a total of 3 of them before I got everything off of our 25' Class C.
The vinyl stripes where is terrible shape and all cracked and brittle, so the heat gun wouldn't work because when I pulled on them they would just break at each crack.

In the end, the eraser wheel was the trick. It was very labor intensive and slow, but it got the most work done for the least amount of effort. The good thing about it is: when you're done, you're done, there's no adhesive to go back and remove.

Hopefully, yours will be easier than mine was. Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Got to work on some earlier, went to where MH stored at my sister's place 80 miles from home. Covered parking with water, elec, sewer, next to sister's 30 X 30 metal shop building. Bought 3M eraser wheel and it does get decal and adhesive off but extremely slow. 3M makes an adhesive remover that I have used and it does soften the adhesive and I can get most off with single edge razor blade. Had to stop short and come back home, wife got sick and I took her to hospital, and she is still there tonight. Infection in colon, low potassium, very weak. She is getting better and will probably be able to come home Saturday. I am home tonight taking care of dogs and cleaning up. I am still slugging away at it when I can, and it is a very hard project.

ronspradley

Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she makes a full recovery very soon.

But, yes, it is a very slow process, no matter what method you use.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks, wife is progressing nicely. Hope to break out of hospital maybe Monday. Then probably a week at home making sure she is OK, then a trip back to MH and start again on the &%$@##@ decal/stripe.

ronspradley

Old 04-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Thanks, wife is progressing nicely. Hope to break out of hospital maybe Monday. Then probably a week at home making sure she is OK, then a trip back to MH and start again on the &%$@##@ decal/stripe.

ronspradley

Good to hear that your wife is progressing nicely and hope that she gets out of the hospital as scheduled.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #26

After erasing and painting most of one side I ran out of time and energy for this project. I tested just painting over the decals on the other side with 1-shot lettering enamels. 1-Shot Lettering Enamels - BLICK art materials

Match the colors as best you can and use the role and tip method to apply the paint. About a tenth the effort and looks decent. Good quickie fix.
twier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
The 1-Shot looks interesting but my decal/stripe is cracked so bad I do not think anything would work painting over it. Sure would like the time savings though. I believe I am going to spray HVLP the area where the 7" decal/stripe was, as well as all the areas that are currently painted, now a dark maroon or burgandy. I will leave gelcoat as gelcoat, at least for now. Painting 1955 Chevy Regal Turquoise.

And around noon today was able to spring wife Rebecca from hospital and she is home resting comfortably. Next week back at working on MH.

ronspradley

Old 05-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been reading this thread with interest . I have an '89 Winnie Chieftain. All the stripes are faded-out. The colors show cracking, but to the touch, all the stripes are smooth, and all the edges are tight and intact. I was wondering if I could mask them off and simply repaint each one, either with a hvlp gun or even with just a rubber-wheeled roller? I hope I'm not being a thread-jumper here. Forgive me if I am.

Tags
removal