Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #15

I dont have grandkids yet. Kids do need quite a bit of stimulus these days to get their interest.
Do you own a hand held GPS? geocaching is a fun thing outdoors, for sure water is popular. Maybe take them river rafting, to a place where you can catch fish and they can too. teach them to start a fire with one match and no accelerator. IF you live where it is to hot to be outside or your boring that is your fault.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #16

We just had nine great days with our grandson, 10 years old. Yes he brought his ipod but used it mostly to communicate with his mom and to take pictures of the trip.

We started by getting him interested in the road map. He kept track of where we were and highlighted our route. If I needed to know where the next rest area was Ll I had to do was ask and he would find it and give me the nearest mile marker.

The three of us did white water rafting (he had his own boat) on the Green River in NC and had a blast.

In SC we went to the beach, and did a late night turtle walk to see Logerhead Turtles hatch.

On the way home we stopped in Cosby TN to rest up a couple nights. He wanted to swim and grandpas very seldom swims but I got in the pool with him and we played for almost 4 hours.

Toward the end of the trip he started getting a little homesick as this is the first time he has been away from home this long, but he sucked it up and all was well.

He's a great kid and we are very fortunate to have had him along.

Sorry your experience was not enjoyable and hope it will improve on subsequent trips.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #17
bap

i say take them again,,,and do what they want to do...for as long as they want to,,,but dont push it on them,,,,

when i first took my grandsons fishing they were more interested in what was in the tackle box than the bfishing,,,when they got bored we went home,,,then the next time they just wanted to cast and reel in,,when they got bored we came home,,,now after a few years its all about----hey bap lets go fishing and catch some bluegills.,,,,,and im the one that has to say----hey lets go to the house and do something else===lol,,,,,
i guess what im saying is take it easy and let them enjoy what they enjoy----its all about being together anyway,,,,right...

wish you the best of luck--------and i pray all works out.....
Old 08-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #18

I'm very sorry to hear of your bad experience..

As a father of three teenagers.. I can sympathize with your situation.. I know my kids like their Ipod time.. However, if I EVER found out they were disrespectful to their grandparents.. well, lets just say they would have to learn to do without for a VERY long time..

I have three rules for when we go camping and they have served us well, maybe you can incorporate them into your next trip..
  1. Only time they are allowed to continually use their Ipods is while we are driving to/from our destination.. Driving isn't fun for me when I constantly get the "are we there yet" question...
  2. Once at location... they are allowed to use their Ipods, BUT, they only get the Ipod, no charging cable... once the battery runs out, they are done for the day (teaches moderation)... I collect all Ipods and charge overnight for the next day..
  3. The XBOX will NEVER be brought into the RV.. that is a HOME game station and I will not permit it to be brought on vacation..
Another additional distraction is to bring board games.. yes, good ol' fashion board games.. it's amazing how much fun ALL OF US have playing them.. plus, from time to time, it's fun to watch my three kids play nicely together... gives us a break..

Good luck !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 47 this year (yikes) and my kids are at 12 & 8. The "screen time" battle is real. Just don't give up on 'em. I don't know how to "win", but maybe it's not win or lose - it's how you play the game!

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #20

We always take 2 grandkids on a 10~14 day trip each year.

Here's what I have learned (YMMV)

I involve them in the planning. Where shall we stop? What stuff do we want to do? We alter routes and timing (within reason) during the planning process. Kids remember the stuff, and will remember and look forward to the various events discussed. We cannot imagine a road trip without a grand kiddo or two. Logistics and drama always accommodated!

We always incorporate events or activities targeted toward them. Not everything, and not the whole trip, but definitely as a member of the crew. I have lost count of the museums, parks, rides, whatever, over the years. We give them a "cargo budget" whereby whatever portable activities they bring must fit. Exceptions include bicycles and DVD movies they can watch on the back TV or in the evenings. These items are always accommodated.

They are involved with all aspects of the set up and tear down. I think by now my 10 yr old grand daughter can handle hookups and dumping duties if she had too! I did have to condition her that yelling "EEEEWWWWW!!" when we pull tanks is a serious detriment to our being cool, casual, and low key during the process.

This pic from July, 800 mi from the porch. Set up is done; time to hit the pool!! Good memories......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	107438  
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We have camped with our kids, grandkids, and now with our great grand daughter. Our kids were before most of the electronics, but grandkids had more. We stay busy hiking, biking and doing anything we can do outside. We took five year old great grand daughter to Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, Virginia for ten days. We all had a great time. She is more into electronics, but only allowed while traveling. Keep them busy. Too much to see and do to keep your head in a game. Hope we are healthy enough to take the other three great grand kids when they are older.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

My daughter (age 28) and I took our first camping trip together since 1998 to Yellowstone in June.

Naturally, at her age, she's set in her ways. (No grandkids yet.) She had her smartphone with her, mainly for picture-taking and contacting her friends and her books. She wants to be a vet.

She was totally into the trip, especially when we saw wildlife (bears, deer, elk, bison). We had a great time. Great father/daughter bonding time.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: That is one of the problems with today.. The joke is two angles in Heaven one is saying to the other "All these new souls do is walk around in a daze looking at their hands" I wish I could say I'm not guilty of living my life more on then off line but alas. At least I know HOW to do both (Better at off line, but spend too much time on line).

However as disastorous weekends go that one is nothing compared to Easter 2013.... Wife and I got up and went to church, Returned to campground and then she got in the used JEEP we had just bought and followed me about half way to the campground we were moving to for the week.... Lost control, hit a tree and died.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
We just had nine great days with our grandson, 10 years old. Yes he brought his ipod but used it mostly to communicate with his mom and to take pictures of the trip.

We started by getting him interested in the road map. He kept track of where we were and highlighted our route. If I needed to know where the next rest area was Ll I had to do was ask and he would find it and give me the nearest mile marker.

The three of us did white water rafting (he had his own boat) on the Green River in NC and had a blast.

In SC we went to the beach, and did a late night turtle walk to see Logerhead Turtles hatch.

On the way home we stopped in Cosby TN to rest up a couple nights. He wanted to swim and grandpas very seldom swims but I got in the pool with him and we played for almost 4 hours.

Toward the end of the trip he started getting a little homesick as this is the first time he has been away from home this long, but he sucked it up and all was well.

He's a great kid and we are very fortunate to have had him along.

Sorry your experience was not enjoyable and hope it will improve on subsequent trips.
Yes!!

And regarding the emphasized part above - on the GP's seldom swim, I too elected to jump in and play at a particularly nice pool. The fact this is atypical for me become clear when I got out, and wondered what was weighing down my pocket. Oh, lookkee, it's my phone.............
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #25

Even as a grandparent, your job is not to make the kids like you, but to help raise good well rounded kids. Tough love is not a bad thing. That does mean you don't have to plan kid specific fun things to do, but just that the world does not revolve around the kids. And I would suggest that. Have some adult things mixed with kid specific things. They need to learn to be grown up while still doing kid things.

Our first sailing vacation was one of those disasters as far as the kids were concerned, but they did learn the world does not revolve around them, so not all bad. The second time we tried it, we also spent one of the days at Six Flags, so they had something to look forward to, and an excuse for putting up with things they didn't specifically enjoy. As it turned out, they did actually learn to like the sailing part too. Of course it did help that they had been playing Assassin's Creed, which has some sailing in it. The addition of squirt guns and singing sailing shanties they learned from the game helped as well.
I'm all for electronics, especially after our night sail. The moon reflected on the water such that my daughter thought we needed to have Moonlight Sonata playing. I suggested she call her best friend and have her play it for us. So she called up her best friend and she played a beautiful rendition on the piano of Beethoven's Sonata #14. Yes, we only heard it through the cell phone's speaker phone, but the private serenade was the highlight of the vacation.

Just remember, while things may seem disastrous at the time, over the years, they will remember the good parts, and the bad parts tend to fade.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #26

I frequently travel with children. The oldest is 18 he has not gone the last couple years but the 16 the 13 the 5 and 2 go. 13 is a girl. Before they were allowed to have electric devices it was im bored. I Told them to shut up and look out the window. Then we got a dvd player. NO NO NO game consoles when we are camping. GO OUTSIDE! I don't give a crap if you are on your phone go do it out side! They boys are easier. They like to fish. The boy 5 has moms old phone with a couple farming games he plays in the car but has limits. The 16 yr boy old stays on his phone quite a but but bearable at least he does stuff.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:36 AM   #27

remember....you guys raised their parents so you can't sit back and talk about how bad the kids are. I have 3 kids......2, 9, and 12. We camp many weeks a year. Electronics are involved because that's what kids are into now days but it's balanced because as parents we control how much they get used. If you can't control that then someone isn't doing their job.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #28

[QUOTE=JohnBoyToo;2715335]Aren't we quite funny ?!?

Here we are on an electronic thing-a-ma-bob of some type complaining about our grandkids playing on electronics

Toooo funny I agree with checking the drain pan also.