Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Disastrous Weekend

Took out vintage class c out this weekend, my wife thought let's take the grandkids out camping, before my grandson return to California. My wife and I thought this was a good idea, so we went for it. Little did we know, we were in for a big surprise. What we thought would be a great weekend, turned out to be disastrous. The kids, all they want to do was to play on electronic games, we found out that they are not into experiencing nature. Thought I would take control of the situation by taking away all the electronics games. Bad ideal, all my wife and I heard from the kids, we are BORED. We realized that camping was not for them, maybe if it was a lake it may have been a difference outcome. To make things even worst, it was extremely hot, so I turned on the rooftop AC unit, got cold but, there was a constant water leak. Took the cover off to see where the leak was coming from, could not see where the leak was coming from, but did notice the bracket was wet, and it appeared rusty. Now this is a older 1988 RV, the water leak tells me that the leak has been forming for quite sometime. This was a frustrating outing. My question to all the experience RV'ers, the water leak, a major concern or is it a cheap quick fix? Please advise!

jaydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could it have been condensation from the roof air conditioner?

2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
More than likely the leak is coming from the seal at the base of the ac unit where it meets the roof. Sometimes a few turns on the mounting bolts will tighten the ac unit to the roof of the motorhome and stop the leak. Otherwise, the seal may have to be replaced. The seal is not expensive. You just have to be able to lift the ac unit once you loosen the mounting bolts and disconnect power to the unit. It will be a major concern if it continually gets wet and rot the roof supports causing the roof to sag.
Nathan and Linda, 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U, F53 Chassis, Banks Power Pack
Patrol 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for the good information, something I did not mention, I climbed on the roof and there was no indication of water. You mention a seal, what about a drainage tube for condensation. Can the AC unit be access from the roof?
jaydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
I think if you took the Grandkids and everyone is still alive than you did ok. If you include water, fishing, etc that might work as you said. Pretty much all kids love fire and marshmallows and burning sticks. Obviously this requires 100 % attention on your part. Another thing you could try is a having them cook their own meal in tinfoil over the fire. Just wrap some stuff in foil and play in the fire. Believe it or not you can hard boil eggs in a little dixie cup if they aren't directly on the coals. This is pretty cool.

Don't give up yet.......I think you're pretty brave just to attempt this with today's kids and electronics.

Sorry I couldn't help with the leak.
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
We took od fighting all the way. I was so pissed that when I got there I turned around and went back home. Never even opened the door to let them out. That was a bad weekend.
1989 mobile traveler 30' MH, 2002 honda valkyrie motorcycle toad,Grants Pass,Or
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
We try and take our 15 yr old grandson with us and get the same thing. All he did was try out figure out how to hook up his XBox to any of the three TV's. They're all mounted solidly and no way to reach in behind them to get to the connections. He wanted me to dismount them so he could use them. I finally had to get very firm and raise my voice, even my DW got into it and told him to quit it.
Next time I told him to just take the monitor from home but even that didn't satisfy him because there was no sound that way and he needed to buy a special adapter to get sound.
Going out over Labor Day and we're leaving him at home!!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:20 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
It is sad isn't it the way too many youth today are literally glued to their devices. I think I would be inclined to take them home, open the door, say see ya . Kids learn pretty quick that loose lips can result in some pretty unintended consequences. It doesn't need to involve shouting or negotiating. If they are bored, that is their problem to solve, not yours. Give em back to the parents and when they ask why, be sure to tell them.

The behaviour of kids has a lot to do with the parents. If the kids have any capacity to feel bad, they will and that can be valuable lesson to them for the future. Hopefully the parents will also be embarrassed enough as well to give the kids a stern talking to about the meaning of minding your manners and the value in remembering that they are damned lucky to have family that loves them enough to want to share time with them. I'm sure that at birthday time, they are quite happy to receive the presents. Maybe they should do without to reflect on what it is like to not have such things. It might also serve to remind them that relationships are more important than that video game they didn't get to play for a couple of days.

I can guarantee that if they don't learn those lessons, life is going to be much more difficult for them especially when they no longer get the "slack" they do because they are young. It is never too early to instill in people a sense of gratitude for the things that we do have. How many kids in this world don't have that opportunity and would think they had won the lottery to be able to go on a trip with Grandpa and Grandma anywhere?
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:31 AM   #9
For me personally.....

If I had to choose between no grandkids and hooking up to one of the TV's in my home (on wheels) I would help him hook it up. Heck I might even play with him or her. Then if I was really lucky we could talk or do something else later. Winning for me is getting to have some time with the grandkids. I have two and will continue to mold my thinking so that they want to spend time with me. At some point if I stick to; " My way or the highway....." I might not get to see them as often. My wife and I were both very strict with our own kids and it's difficult sometimes when our grandkids aren't as well mannered as our kids were.
I just know that I smile every time I see my grandkids.......sometimes I also smile when they are picked up to go home.
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 AM   #10
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That was a great take on the situation.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Aren't we quite funny ?!?

Here we are on an electronic thing-a-ma-bob of some type complaining about our grandkids playing on electronics

Ours, (so far!) have enjoy going out with us and they both had iPhones/iPads, etc... by the time they were 10 !

I gave them little micro tablets and they looked at them like they were dinosaurs !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There should be a drip pan under the A/C condenser. The drain holes in the pan are probably clogged, it can happen even in a much newer rig (been there, done that). Cleaning out those drain holes may well eliminate your A/C problem. The fact that you found no water on the roof I think further supports this theory.

As for the grandkids, I'm thinking give it another try but take them somewhere that caters to kids. Nice pool, playground, kids activities. Ease them into the more relaxed type of outdoor adventure. Don't give up on them yet.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
It's all about the parenting. My son has games, but uses them very sparingly. I try to play with him now and then. These games today are WAY beyond me. Geeze I'm only in my 40's! I am blown away with how glued to the screen some kids are. But then their parents do very little with them, and avoid confrontation with them at all costs. That's what you get.
1999 Harney Renegade
Used mostly for weekends at the dragstrip with my rear engine dragster and my son's jr dragster.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #14
this adventure reminds me of the movie-----grown ups,,,,,,,maybe you all need to kick back one evening and watch it...----

i guess,,,,,,,well to me i am the luckiest guy in the world,,,,my grandsons 9 an 10 would rather be with me than anyone else,,,it dosent matter what we are doing,,,,working on an old camper , fishing, or just kicking back ,,,,they have been this way since they were baby,s...and yes i(we) play a video game now and then but its very seldom,,,
we have weekly bon fires every weekend,,always have family dinners where we all sit and eat and discuss the events of the day,,ALOT of the thgings we do together as a family seem lost these days,,,,------everywhere we go we get complements on our grandsons-----im not sorry for bragging on them they earned it,,,,and im there best friend and there BAP,,,,thats what they have always called me....lol...

best of luck with yours, and your AC....

jeff n debbie, and our 4 4 legged family members
68 aristocrat,68 216 winnebago, ancient GTA,1963 airstream,
bap is online now   Reply With Quote