Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #15

As my husband died, I just don't need to be driving our big, like new, 36' Class A Airstream Landyacht motorhome. I haven't been camping, for ages, as I didn't feel comfortable driving it.
Now, I am getting a little old 21' Allegro, 6 cylinder, motorhome, because I feel happy and comfortable driving it. I have always wanted one, and I can go to so many more places in it.
One BIG advantage, is that it will be PAID FOR !!
I hope that I am not going to be ousted by the 'Snootyville' folks !!

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JJJoy:
Well I guess that leaves me boondocking!!!! This all makes me mad! What is it about except seeing our country and making wonderful friends and helping each other? What has it all come to? Are people really that superficial? I'm a decent law abiding, clean, considerate, mostly conservative female who tries to be caring to others and so because I drive a converted skoolie that's mechanically sound, not unattractive yet older and different I will be told I am not appropriate? All I have to say is, this is so wrong. I know some of the people with the fancy hundred grand coaches wont want to talk to me or park near me but WHY?

All I have to say is...pleaaaaaaase dont let me ever be like that.

my 2 cents </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JJ I too was very shocked when I heard of this. I may be getting a 79 motorhome and I just may end up living in it for a while. Not only for the fun but the frugality of it.
I was appalled when I heard of the 10 year rule. Kind of sad cause look at what some folks missed not knowing us lol

Old 07-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 53clipper:
As my husband died, I just don't need to be driving our big, like new, 36' Class A Airstream Landyacht motorhome. I haven't been camping, for ages, as I didn't feel comfortable driving it.
Now, I am getting a little old 21' Allegro, 6 cylinder, motorhome, because I feel happy and comfortable driving it. I have always wanted one, and I can go to so many more places in it.
One BIG advantage, is that it will be PAID FOR !!
I hope that I am not going to be ousted by the 'Snootyville' folks !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the key! Paid For thats what I want for sure! So who cares if some are snooty or we are not welcome somewhere........The sadness of that is much more appealing to me than the stress of a big MH payment. To me Freedom is Freedom all the way!
Old 07-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #18

We had a 1974 Apache (solid sided) pop-up turned down sight unseen at The Holiday Trav-L Park and at Shipp's both in Chattanooga TN. After actually checking out the campgrounds, we realized they were the type the we would hate to stay in. We stayed in two public campgrounds in the same area (Chester Frost County Park and Harrison Bay State Park). We LOVE Chester Frost and would stay there whenever we had to stay over in Chattanooga (we lived nearby). We sold the pop-up earlier this spring. Now we have a 1977 Midas Mini Class C. To be honest we tend to stay in public campgrounds to the point that I can count the times we have stayed in private ones on one hand (since 1979). You will find the discrimination at places that tend to have "Resort" in their names.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #19

I've got an antique Pop-up and most of the places on the beach here have the 21ft/10year rule. Thats why I like state parks!

1999 Daughter
lwbfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #20

I think these rules are selectively enforced. It gives the campground owner a chance to checkout the RV owner and a built in excuse not to let someone in if the RV and its owner(s) look bad and run down. If the owners and their rig look good and well maintained they let them in. Afterall, they want to get the business/money, but they also want to keep the "riff-raff" out. I am sure there are some who want to cater to high-end owners and that's there perogative.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #21

The Real Reasons... The real reasons the high end (meaning expensive) don't want the Classic Coaches around is that it is constant reminder of A) their inability to be independent and take care of their own coach and, more so, B) we are a constant reminder that they lost $25,000 the instant they drove their rig off the lot, about 2-3 times what we have in ours, and we enjoy ours every bit as much...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JJJoy:

By the simple fact that you so plainly decry that attitude, it is not likely that you will ever hold it yourself. I can see wanting an older rig to pass an inspection, as there are a few "bad apples" that are trying to spoil the whole barrel for all of us. But the idea of refusing, unseen, a rig that is older than a certain age is abhorent to me as well. there are many, like myself, who have vintage to antique rigs but keep them in good shape (I will not travel in mineuntil it meets my standard. when it does that, it will not have any problem passing any inspection that any camp owner may reasonably put it to. It will likely be better than when it was new. that will be a while, though. I just found out that new tires to replace the older cracking ones will cost over $1000. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #23

I went out to eat at a pricey steakhouse for New Years because it was free for the bithday person ;-) On my way out the door, a big group was following me. One guy boomed out "Look at that! That's the camper I told you about!" They were snickering.

I turned around and sweetly told them I loved my 1974 rig and wasn't it cool? They got very sheepish and tried to back-pedal. One guy said it would make a good hunting rig.

Heck, I spent 3 days touring the Lazydays dealership and found nothing I liked better in any price range!

1974 Fleetwood Tioga 19 ft
WendyTheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #24

By all means stay away from Crown Villa RV Resort in Bend, Oregon. Others rave about it, but with some spots as much as $60 a day, and several questions about the age and appearance of the rig, we would never stay there! In one of my other RV groups they sing the praises of this place, and I just remember a good friend of ours with a new truck and a 10-year-plus trailer (in great condition) having to stay in a section away from the newer rigs with less amenities and a high price tag. No thanks, not for us. We are blessed in Oregon to have wonderful state parks with a variety of people to meet at any time and a great friendly family atmosphere. There are several great county parks, as well. This is where we prefer to stay. Our rig is only a few years old and they would take us at the "resort" but we prefer to spend our time with real people and support our public campgrounds.

2001 Ford F250 Diesel
RoyandNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:

By the simple fact that you so plainly decry that attitude, it is not likely that you will ever hold it yourself. I can see wanting an older rig to pass an inspection, as there are a few "bad apples" that are trying to spoil the whole barrel for all of us. But the idea of refusing, unseen, a rig that is older than a certain age is abhorent to me as well. there are many, like myself, who have vintage to antique rigs but keep them in good shape (I will not travel in mineuntil it meets my standard. when it does that, it will not have any problem passing any inspection that any camp owner may reasonably put it to. It will likely be better than when it was new. that will be a while, though. I just found out that new tires to replace the older cracking ones will cost over $1000. . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good God Sanjay R, What kind of skins are you getting?
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #26

My wife and I have pulled our little trailer from Mt.Rushmore to the southern part of Alabama, to Arkansas and all over Michigan. We haven't been turned away yet. Not saying it never will. You can usually tell if your going to "fit in" or not before you pull in off the road. I do understand the 10yr rule. And I'd have to say it's been waved a time or two for us.
We always seem to meet great people where ever we stay, next to a big rig or a pop-up. One time out we came back from town to see people taking pictures and wanted to ask qusetions about it.
I think the key words are maintenance and appearance.

Happy camping and RV'ing

1964 Ander-ett 16ft
michcruiser60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:

Good God Sanjay R, What kind of skins are you getting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only ones available at each of the four tire stores in town. I have 8x19.5 tires, and each place priced them at $200 each out the door. I wear six of them, unless you count the spare, which would make seven.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
I will try this, one more time. Air-card is messed up, can't fix and I've had it. am signing off for now. PS,I thought you had 16" tires, sorry. Later,Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote