Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WendyTheWanderer:
...They were snickering... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When ever somebody laughs at my stuff because it isn't the "latest and greatest" I just think of the payments that I DON"T have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #30

I started this rv thing in an old slide in. I got a lot of looks ,but was High and dry.Let them snicker, only shallow people are capable of this.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lorna, SnajayR and Wendy the wanderer, Glad you arn't letting them bullies push you around!!
SanjayR, sorry about earlier post but it kept disconnecting so I was having a really hard time with it. I think{yeah,I know,Dangerious thing sometimes} I am hoping I have temp solution for air-card. There is a small download that can be used to patch the software so that the air-card will not go into Dormacy. it pings the server at random times of 7-10 seconds and that fools the server into thinking that i am Uploading or downloading. I wouldn't use it all the time as it makes your processor run and the ram as well but it keeps the air-card from dropping as you come out of dormacy or droppig you when you go into dormacy. I have a kool mat so It has stayed cool, so far. Sprint may not like me holding onto the bandwith but they won't seem to fix the problem so I will keep the bandwith and to h*** with them! More than one way to get the job done!!
I thought you had 16" tires and not 19.5 tires on it. thats why the price lookedwrongg to me sorry for that. Getting old, I guess...
Am planning to leave Maine in Feburary to go back to Arizona and am looking foward to that.Tired of the bickering and backstabing.I'm glad I didn't have a family business to run. Better off without it. This business is going to break up the family for sure, and its a shame for sure. Maybe after the attorneys and all get past this upset, they will settle down and they will become family again,time will tell. Sorry I'm of topic and I will get off of the soapbox. Sorry,I guess I needed to vent. Thanks for the shoulder to cry on or ear to bend. you've become good friends to me and I feel confortable with you as you are rv'ers like me. Thanks again, Capt. Dan
PS, do you know a guy that goes by the name of bil on the forum,I need to say I'm sorry to him. he got caught in the middle of the fight with the air-card? AAnyway thanks,Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #32

Hope I don't ever run into that problem. Although I most likely won't be traveling much till spring. I've found a couple of parks in my area to call my home. Does $300 a month for 30amp full hookup sound fair?

E350 Chassis
Mike (KC9IPV) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #33

Mike, if you do run into that problem, just know that the campground in question is not one you would want to stay at. As for the rate of 300/mo, That varies widely from area to area. In my area, that is a very good rate. My own rent on the space I have is 435/mo, and it is the cheapest I have found.

Dan, No worries at all mate. I'm on disability for PTSD, and may never be able to work again for exactly that reason. The tires are not a critical repair at this point as I have to rebuild the coach and the drivetrain before I drive anywhere of a significant distance. . .
Oh, yes, and with my major income coming from disability, who can afford the gas in the first place? I do live in my rig, and have since a bit before I joined. My plan is to spend the next 40 years in this rig. That has only been strengthened by my experiences living in her. She is that good of a rig. Any park that cannot see that, I dont want to stay in anyway (well I had to get back on topic somehow. . .)

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #34

It is funny reading this topic as we were discussing this at our last camping trip. We are entering that time of life when we need to start thinking of consolidating and part of the process was to sell our newer motorhome with the whopping monthly payment for our 1987 Vogue, which we paid cash for. This guy needs a lot of TLC inside and out(mostly cosmetic) but is still an incredible, solid, motorhome. But there is a huge difference in the camaradie offered(so to speak)when we drove in for the first time in our restoration in process Vogue. I guess it will always be the "mine is bigger and better than yours". Time to find some smaller, quieter, like home places I guess to kick back and relax.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, Mike I was wondering how you were doing with that new home of yours! Sarjay R, Its 340. a month and we an work on ours here, but My aunt has water,sewer and electric here on her property and I get it cheap as she doesn't have there rv anymore. Shes 91 and the Queen of the family! I love her dearly and will miss her when she is gone. I'm working on the engine right now and I got to get the engine battery's so I can turn the beast over when i get it ready to start. The heads are being worked on as we speak and the radiator is also being picked up tomorrow and then this weekend i need to get that piston and rod out and then monday, I can go to the machine shop where the heads are and see if they can find a piston and rod that matches the bad one. Id love to get the engine together before the middle of the month so I can drive it to make sure its ok. I can work on getting out that old carpet and see what I can do with the wood underneath. Have fun,
Check in with ya later, Capt.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:13 AM   #36

I think its the "shine" factor. These monster rigs shine like new pennies and it makes their campground look nice.

The other thing though, and what owners of the new rigs don't get, is that my classic camper (I speak specifically of my Apache popup) were state of the art for their time. I have a popup that convert to a 24 foot enclosed camper, hard sides and all, within minutes. I made a sunbrella awning for it and it keeps the rain off our heads.

As far as the GMC is concerned, its envy. That is one of the only motorhomes ever built by a manufacturer, designed by GM engineers and there is stuff on/in there that even new motorhomes haven't thought of putting on.

And all of this with no monthly payments, just sweat equity. And in 20 years, I'll put the value of my GMC up against the value of any $100K coach.

I'll quit my ranting now.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 53clipper:
One BIG advantage, is that it will be PAID FOR !!
I hope that I am not going to be ousted by the 'Snootyville' folks !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear you on that! My tow vehile and travel trailer (mentioned in my sig) are both paid for. Cost of both was under $5000 even after a few repairs to the van after buying it last year and doing a lot of work on the trailer. Then again, I did get a good deal on the van. But still, it's paid for. If it gets wrecked then at least I won't still be paying for it, unlike many Class A owners, for the next 10-20 years (or more?).

On the subjct of descrimination, I don't plan on visiting many normal "RV Parks". I plan to boondock and use state, federal & corps of engineers parks whenever possible.

I am disabled and therefore get 50% off at all CoE and national and at many (all?) state parks as well as long as I can provide proof of my disability. I got a CoE discount card accepted at all CoE park, national parks and a few other types of parks. For the state of Califoria (where I plan to travel to hopefully later this year) I had to mail away for a disabled discount card (at the modest cost of $3.50). A single night's stay at 50% off in any CA park will more than pay for the cost of the card!

Only bad thing about such parks is they often are somewhat out of the way. I picked up a 2002 RV park directory for $1 at a thift store the other day that I plan to take along in case I need to find an RV park someplace. I have a decent cellular plan with nationwide long distance, a good network plus free nights/weekends (starting at 7pm) so I can be in most any town/city and can call up the RV parks to see if they would descriminate before I drive to them.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #38

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cubey:
...I don't plan on visiting many normal "RV Parks". I plan to boondock and use state, federal & corps of engineers parks whenever possible... Only bad thing about such parks is they often are somewhat out of the way... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No the bad thing is that they are often left out of the big campground directories such as Woodall's and Trailer Life. I use Don Wright's Campground directory and (even more) various websites for COE, NF and state parks (we like public parks).

Here's a few of my links -

National Forest Campgrounds: www.forestcamping.com

Federal Recreation & Camping Info
http://www.recreation.gov/

COE Map of Divisions & Districts:
http://www.usace.army.mil/divdistmap.html

National Park Service:
http://www.nps.gov/

Wildnet Properties:
http://areas.wildernet.com/pages/are...nessee&cu_id=1
Old 03-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
No the bad thing is that they are often left out of the big campground directories such as Woodall's and Trailer Life. I use Don Wright's Campground directory and (even more) various websites for COE, NF and state parks (we like public parks).

Here's a few of my links -

National Forest Campgrounds: www.forestcamping.com

Federal Recreation & Camping Info
http://www.recreation.gov/

COE Map of Divisions & Districts:
http://www.usace.army.mil/divdistmap.html

National Park Service:
http://www.nps.gov/

Wildnet Properties:
http://areas.wildernet.com/pages/are...nessee&cu_id=1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the links. I will be taking a laptop along with a small WiFi adapter and plan to also buy one of those "keychain" WiFi detectors from Wal-Mart for $20 so I can look for a WiFi signal without booting up a computer.

The 2002 directory I have is "Trailer Life" and it actually DOES list seem to list even small, out of the way state & CoE parks and points them out in the descriptuon (ie: "Public Corps", etc).

Only bad thing about the directory I can find so far is they don't give the actual physical addresses, only directions to the park. An address would be more useful to me for mapping via computer map software (MS Streets & Trips). They give phone numbers however so I would be able to call ahead and ask for the address if I wish to map it. I'm very tempted to take along my laser printer for map/info printing. I greatly dislike injets due to the short life span of the ink cartridges. It would take up a lot of cargo space but it would be invaluable in my opinion. I would need AC power for it however unless my 350W inverter can handle it. I'll have to check the printer's power ratings to see.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #40

I take that back, somewhat. However oddly enough I can't find one CoE park I stayed at even on the CoE site for some strange reason. Unless I'm somehow confused and not seeing it. It was run somewhat on the honor system of just having a park attendant who just watched what went on. He doesn't collect the money and isn't supposed to break larger bills for people so they can pay for the camping. I plan to take plenty of checks along since campgrounds such as those do accept checks. They have envelopes and a slot for fee collection and is directly on a US highway. I ran across it by mistake trying to find another park.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:22 AM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cubey:
...I can't find one CoE park I stayed at even on the CoE site for some strange reason. Unless I'm somehow confused and not seeing it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The park you are looking for may have been closed down. We have run across a few public CGs that have had that happen. As far as the directories, we look up High Falls County Park in Seneca SC (or West Union, or Salem, or Walhalla) and it never seems to be in the book (althought the other county park right there is listed... not as good). Also we look for Chau Ram SP in Westminster SC and it never seems to be listed. This is a nice small CG that we lived near at one time (and still exists as does High Falls). So far, all the COE parks we know of are listed on the COE site.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #42

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
The park you are looking for may have been closed down. We have run across a few public CGs that have had that happen. As far as the directories, we look up High Falls County Park in Seneca SC (or West Union, or Salem, or Walhalla) and it never seems to be in the book (althought the other county park right there is listed... not as good). Also we look for Chau Ram SP in Westminster SC and it never seems to be listed. This is a nice small CG that we lived near at one time (and still exists as does High Falls). So far, all the COE parks we know of are listed on the COE site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just stayed at it back around Sept of last year. I have a feeling they just don't list any online that don't have a gate attendant since the website's purpose is to allow you to reserve sites. You can't reserve sites at a park that lacks a person to collect the money.