Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #1

the top off a hi-lo camper to do some repairs?

I didn't explain myself clearly before! I need to remove the top completely off to replace some rotted wood to be able to replace the gliders that keep the top on the tracks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
cyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #2

the top off a hi-lo camper to do some repairs?

I didn't explain myself clearly before! I need to remove the top completely off to replace some rotted wood to be able to replace the gliders that keep the top on the tracks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
cyndi welcome to irv2.
Sorry to hear you have a problem I will jump your question down to the pop-up forum so you can get some extra help.
Have no clue how to get your Hi Low top off thought it lifted by electric motor have you plugged into 110 outlet so converter supplies 12v's.
If it has a AC you may have to take off if you have to have friends lift the top.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't remember the hold down on my brothers pop-up but we would take the hold downs off and one on each side lift it up and it would lock in place when we had it high enough. I'm sure it can't be that way for you but I would double check the hold downs and make sure that they are all off. Good luck and welcome to the forum, Capt. Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #6

It has been a long time since we had a Hi-Lo. I remember it was a '74. The cable lift worked off of a system on the bottom and was loaded with pulleys and aircraft cable. Maybe a little more info on year & problem would get a little more help.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #7

Yes, disconnect the power cable in the bathroom going to the top. (not the Air Conditioner cord)
Remove all of the guide rails (6 usually, there's stops at the top of them) Remove all of the wood slats at the top of the bottom half. (or they might break when you lift the top)Get 4 2x4's of equal length to let the top down on to release the cable pressure. Then jack each side evenly until the top half lifts off the bottom. Careful with the seals. It's pretty simple actually. While you have the top lifted check the guides for wear, and replace..their pretty inexpensive. $4 or $5 I think.
STealthnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Cyndi & STEalthnv, we welcome both of you to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. STEalthnv, Thanks for helping Cyndi with the HiLo top removal question. Hopefully if she has more questions you will be able and willing to help her. Good luck to both of you and have a great summer.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #9

Cyndi, please correct me if I'm wrong, but are these guys answering the wrong question? I read your question as how to REMOVE the top, while these guys are telling you how to RAISE the roof. YOu state thhat the roof hast to be taken off to make repairs to the wood underneath, unless I misunderstand you. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #10

I said "Then jack each side evenly until the top half lifts off the bottom." I guess should have said lifts above the bottom half.
STealthnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #11

Nah, by the time I got to your post I was skimming. I think you are the only one to actually answer her question. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #12

Thank you for all your great ideas. I have not tried anything yet (too hot!) but I believe Stealthnv has led me in the right direction. My brother-in-law also suggested erecting scaffolding along the sides and using come-a-longs to lift it, and then move the bottom out and walk under it to do the work. We need to replace the guides, but some wood has rotted so that needs to be replaced and who knows what else once we get into it!

Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #13

Sounds like a plan!

Please be carefull lifting with the come-alongs - they sometimes like to spontaneously break. Also, once the base is pulled out, you should put some heavy beams or pipes across the scaffolding and take the weight off the come-alongs.

Good Luck - Please take some pictures and post!

Todd
dupreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #14

If you need to know about Hi-Los, here is their site :
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=223768175
It had all the info you would need about repairing one. Penny, YX

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote