Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Dometic refrigerator

Our dometic refer doesn't work on 110v or 12v. It works fine on gas but not on electric.

My dad was telling me that at some stage, the previous owner connected the motorhome to 230v without having a 230-110v transformer in line and blew some components, one of which was the fridge. So all the years my folks have used the motorhome, they only used the refrigerator on gas...

Some of y'all know I'm restoring our 33 year old coachmen that has been in the family for some 20 years so I'm trying to bring it back to 100% original. I'm hoping to keep the original refrigerator if possible.

My question - is the electrical side of the refrigerator repairable? I haven't gone about pulling the unit out and having a look yet so I'm asking for advice from anyone who has already had a look at the back of their Dometic fridge and know the workings...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My guess is that the board needs replacing, but someone else that knows your fridge may offer a better assessment. Good luck.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 82s don't work on electric either but works great on lp. Maybe we will both find a answer, if you don't mind me tagging along?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't have your model but have done some work on mine. If it is a ammonia gas unit (propane heats the ammonia) then the 115 volt part is just a electric heating element which surely burned out when connected to 230. The board may be ok if you are in control on propane . There should be a 115 volt feed from the power supply probably located in the back of the unit. Unhook the leads from the element and check the element with an ohm meter.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

I would test the heating coil for resistance. If it is open ( no resistance ) then the coil is bad. If it has resistance check to see if it is getting 120volts to the coil. On mine there is a small fuse in the access door to the back of the refrigerator. At the age of your unit,I don't think there is a circuit board to the unit like the new ones have.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
I would test the heating coil for resistance. If it is open ( no resistance ) then the coil is bad. If it has resistance check to see if it is getting 120volts to the coil. On mine there is a small fuse in the access door to the back of the refrigerator. At the age of your unit,I don't think there is a circuit board to the unit like the new ones have.
Well that gives me some hope that this MAY be an easy fix...
Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is the electrical side repairable. YES.

Possible issues: The over voltage may have burned out the heat element

It may also have damaged the control board

I can not help you much with the heat element beyond saying that Camping World is the authorized parts store for Dometic, you will need all the info on your fridge's "ID" tag (Take a photo) and they can order the part, never mind that likely 90 percent of all dometic fridges use the same part, they still have to have the full model and SERIAL number to order it. (Stupid twerps).

On the control board.. Check with Dinosaur boards first. if they got one GET IT.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to pull the refer shortly and have a look. Thanks to all for the help. I've had a look at the service manuals and I have a good idea what to expect now.

irv2 rocks!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #9

An older Dometic may not even have a control board. What is the model number?
Should be located either by the controls (bottom front) or on rear of the cabinet.
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
An older Dometic may not even have a control board. What is the model number?
Should be located either by the controls (bottom front) or on rear of the cabinet.
Its an RM660 according to the RV data card stuck to the back of an overhead locker door.

It doesn't have much in the way of electronics according to the manual and there appears to be a couple of fuses listed on the wiring diagrams, so I may be in luck.. I'm just hoping the guy that owned the RV before my folks did, didn't go at it. I've been dealing with some of his DIY repairs recently and they're kinda scary...

Hey Spritz, got some info for ya buddy...

Manual for RM660 - http://webspace.webring.com/people/j...ceManual-1.pdf.

Well at least I've "learned up" a little before getting stuck in behind the refrigerator... (I don't like surprises)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #11

As I thought, no fancy board to your fridge. Either the heating element, switch, or wiring was damaged. Simple wire tracing involved. Little more complex if you have a 3-way vs 2-way fridge.

RM660 uses 175 watt elements

Dometic P/N 0173738014 for 120VAC operation (69.14 ohms)
Dometic P/N 0173739012 for 12VDC operation (0.82 ohms)

Both are available online

Dave
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
As I thought, no fancy board to your fridge. Either the heating element, switch, or wiring was damaged. Simple wire tracing involved. Little more complex if you have a 3-way vs 2-way fridge.

RM660 uses 175 watt elements

Dometic P/N 0173738014 for 120VAC operation (69.14 ohms)
Dometic P/N 0173739012 for 12VDC operation (0.82 ohms)

Both are available online

Dave
Thanks Dave... Hmmmm I wonder is there a p/n for a 230v heating element? It'd be handy to convert it to 230v instead of running it through the 110v transformer...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
Its an RM660 according to the RV data card stuck to the back of an overhead locker door.

It doesn't have much in the way of electronics according to the manual and there appears to be a couple of fuses listed on the wiring diagrams, so I may be in luck.. I'm just hoping the guy that owned the RV before my folks did, didn't go at it. I've been dealing with some of his DIY repairs recently and they're kinda scary...

Hey Spritz, got some info for ya buddy...

Manual for RM660 - http://webspace.webring.com/people/j...ceManual-1.pdf.

Well at least I've "learned up" a little before getting stuck in behind the refrigerator... (I don't like surprises)
Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I got a scare over the weekend as it went up to 50 degrees, but the fridge fan stop working - dead battery's, today its back down to 32-34 degress.
Thanks again
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #14

Blag,
Quote:
Thanks Dave... Hmmmm I wonder is there a p/n for a 230v heating element? It'd be handy to convert it to 230v instead of running it through the 110v transformer...
At first you confused me until I saw you are in Ireland! I am in the US. Dometic has suppliers for their products over there also though you have a US based unit. I am just not sure how to look up info on your side of the pound. The 175 watt heater value would stay the same however AC resistance would be based on 230VAC. I pulled all of the information from this document: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Mandiag.pdf

P/N info came from pdf page 46 (page D-9-15)
Formula for ohms info is on pdf page 43 (page D-9-12)

Even if you can locate a heater, the other thing to be considered is if the switch and wiring is also safe to use at 230VAC/50Hz. AC current would be reduced due to higher voltage and 50Hz would not be an issue for a simple resistive circuit like this.

Tags
dometic, refrigerator