Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
So ive grown tired of things gettin wet. Lol my wife said she wanted it fixed before camping season starts. So I started tearing old stuff off. The old luggage rack is gone. The thing was held on by years of roof sealant. The ladder to gain access to the roof had pulled off the back so I pulled it off. The bathroom vent was bad so it came off as well. We dont shower so the vent is un-needed. I bought a couple rolls of aluminum and a 5 gallon bucket of all weather black jack. After most of the old sealant is gone im gonna lay a thin layer of black jack and pop rivet the aluminum down. Then cover everything in black jack. Then time to start the bathroom. New ceiling and shower walls!!!
__________________

__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 571
do you think the black jack will make rv hot?
__________________

__________________
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
do you think the black jack will make rv hot?
It might. If it does ill crank the ac.... Or coat it in white roof coating. Lol
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Port Orange fl
Posts: 35
Blackjack

Hi Travis, As an old roofer i can say you probably don't want to go there. In the the industry we call that stuff "bull" for a reason. It gets everywhere! There are alot of much better sheet good and rolled materials out there you can use. Some of these products come in rolls that are 8'6" wide so all you would have to do is buy it by the linial foot, lay it out, cut your holes for your penetrations, and fasten then caulk. I will go back to see if i can find you some of these resources and send them to you. And that's "no bull".
__________________
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrybass View Post
Hi Travis, As an old roofer i can say you probably don't want to go there. In the the industry we call that stuff "bull" for a reason. It gets everywhere! There are alot of much better sheet good and rolled materials out there you can use. Some of these products come in rolls that are 8'6" wide so all you would have to do is buy it by the linial foot, lay it out, cut your holes for your penetrations, and fasten then caulk. I will go back to see if i can find you some of these resources and send them to you. And that's "no bull".
Ah crap..... I already bought this stuff, the only reason I got this is because its way thicker than regular black jack. Says its trowel thickness so im hoping it doesnt run. It guarantees no leaks and can be applied to wet conditions and will still bond. Ya never know in iowa what it might do. Plus ive already bought and cut the aluminum... guess I shoulda asked ya'll before... damn.......
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Port Orange fl
Posts: 35
No bull

Ok Travis, If you would like to see some other options for your project you can do the following. Go to "classicwinnebagos.com", sign on as guest ( or whatever), go to forums, drop to coach, drop to sub forums, then hit exterior. There are alot of really sharp dudes on this sight and the info is not brand specific when it comes to roofing repairs so i believe it's well worth your look see. Great day!
__________________
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrybass View Post
Ok Travis, If you would like to see some other options for your project you can do the following. Go to "classicwinnebagos.com", sign on as guest ( or whatever), go to forums, drop to coach, drop to sub forums, then hit exterior. There are alot of really sharp dudes on this sight and the info is not brand specific when it comes to roofing repairs so i believe it's well worth your look see. Great day!
Thanks for the info! Ill take a look!
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
DonDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,204
Here's "white Black Jack" AKA elastomeric coating. I keep the black stuff for quick repairs on my sheds etc but not on the MH. Same BJ brand but not the gooey black stuff. No leaks!!

__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Triker56's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
do you think the black jack will make rv hot?
Plus they don't shower. That could make things pretty rank.
__________________
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Plus they don't shower. That could make things pretty rank.
I said we don't use that shower. Not sure bout where u guys are but iowa has nice campgrounds. Plus 80% of the patch is shiney aluminum. Just under and seams is gonna have the black jack
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Port Orange fl
Posts: 35
You might want to pick up a couple rolls of "eternabond" Tape just in case. 2" will be susufficient and as far as i know it sticks to everything but silicone. Do your seams and for sure you"ll be tight. Your raw alumium will still get hot so you may want to see if elastomeric adheres to it. Good luck and happy motoring!
__________________
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_223304.png
Views:	54
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	35906

Got it done. Black jacked the edges, riveted it down, eternabonded the seam. Then went over the rivets with black jack. Got a new vent cap and vent for the stove hood.

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_223728.png
Views:	61
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	35907

After


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_223759.png
Views:	61
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	35908
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Port Orange fl
Posts: 35
aluminium roof

Hey fella, that's a sharp roof you got there. I do have acouple questions for future reference. How did you tie it in at the termination bars (where the roof meets walls) and also the front and back. To be honest it would have never occured to me to employ your application on an rv but i sold many a metal roof here in florida due to the durability of the product. That's thinking outside the box.
__________________
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrybass View Post
Hey fella, that's a sharp roof you got there. I do have acouple questions for future reference. How did you tie it in at the termination bars (where the roof meets walls) and also the front and back. To be honest it would have never occured to me to employ your application on an rv but i sold many a metal roof here in florida due to the durability of the product. That's thinking outside the box.
I folded the edges over the sides and pop riveted atound. Then covered them all in black jack
__________________

__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.