Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

DRL Daytime Running Light

I have a 1991 Itasca on the 1990 ChevP35 chassis. I would like to know how the Daytime Running Light system works and if I can disable it? I would also like to know what it looks like.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know on some of thier cars and pickups some time if you set the E-btake on the fist click it diables the DRLs.
Of course then it will light the brake light....

Sorry i don't have the full answer. This might help
Look to see if you can fine the DRL module and unhook anywire going into it that is only powered during engine running and headlights off.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
I have a 1991 Itasca on the 1990 ChevP35 chassis. I would like to know how the Daytime Running Light system works and if I can disable it? I would also like to know what it looks like.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Very seriously doubt you have it. As for how it works, there are seperate lights on the front of the vehicle that come on, or the main headlights come on at reduced wattage, automatically in the daytime. GM starting putting it on cars in very late 90's.

As for what it looks like, If you do not have your lights manually turned on, and you do not have any lights at the front, then you do not have it. ie, if your lights are turned off, and there is still something lighting up in front, then you do have it.

BTW, you probably have a P30, Chevrolet did not start making the P32 until late 90's, then Workhorse took it over. Don't think there was ever a P35.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #4

if you have drls then there will be a separate fuse to power them just remove it and they are inop,did this on my pickup and this is how they work on our trucks at work.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Standard GM DRL turns on both high and low beams at half voltage or there about (around 70% brillance) whenever the engine is ON and the light switch OFF and the parking brake is off, Parking brake interface is optional.

As to how to disable it? Why would you want to do that?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

Well I dont' have much more knowledge on DRL, what does this lightining devices do.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DRL (Day time running lights) make it easier to see your rig as it approaches an intersection, It can make it visible up to 2-3 times as far away as a vehicle w/o DRL's (Based on personal observation) and thus prevent someone pulling out in front of you and causing an accident.. Assorted studies have shown either "No major difference" (Study was flawed) or Major improvement (Studies, multiple, all good) The flawed one had no control group.