Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Dual Electric Roof Horns

I am trying to figure out who made my horns and why they don't honk.
The only ID I can find is a small square with the letter B inside it. That is on the front of the longer horn.
I tried to adjust what I thought was the tone adjustment screw on the back of that horn and the rear cover of the horn got loose, so I removed it. There is a tone adjustment screw under the cover and screwing it one way or the other did nothing. I used a test light on the wires and there is power to the horn. That horn emits a very faint sound some time. I know there is some points in there that probably need cleaning, but to get at them I have to remove the screws on the front of the horn. Doing that should release the black horn body, I think.
There are two pictures I took, can anyone ID the horns or tell me how to proceed from here???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Horns 001.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	28086   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Horns 002.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	28087  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

Can't id the make, but all those type of horns work basically the same way. underneath the black cover will be a piece of round thin spring steel. when 12 volt is applied a solenoid in the horn pulls the spring steel back until it makes contact and grounds itself, at which point the solenoid releases the spring steel. It does this many times a second. It is the vibration of the spring steel that makes the sound. If the current drop is too high, you will get a week sounding horn as it takes quite a few amps to pull that spring steel back properly. Either remove the horns and test them on a bench with a known good 12v battery, or haul a battery up on to the roof and test it there. If the horns work fine when connected directly to the battery, then the current loss through the wires is too much--look for loose, corroded or otherwise bad connections. horns almost always go through a relay, so you will need to check that as well (connections). If the sound remains week, the problem is internal within the horn, quite often rust, from water coming down the trumpet or a weak solenoid. In any event, if possible- take it apart, clean it up and try again. Or replace the horns. As a note of caution, as the amperage draw is quite high, do not hold onto the copper wire as you are testing--you will burn your fingers

Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The may be Fiamm horns. They make electric horns for RV's and marine use. Mine are anemic even when working correctly.

If you have power to the horn then they are dirty or rusty and require cleaning.

One suggestion for improving your horn situation; my rig (different that yours) has these horns on the roof and some Fiamm snail horns under the hood behind the grill. I replaced those under the hood with 5" Hadley Disc electrics one high tone the other low tone. They give a very satisfying loud beep beep.

My roof horn is pathetic but for the heck of it I put an onboard air system on my gas rig (I have other reasons) so I also put in some obnoxious deafeningly loud air horns under the hood. I can use my electric or air depending on situations. One of these days I will run the air to the roof and put a nice air horn there as well. Can't have too many horns.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
The may be Fiamm horns. They make electric horns for RV's and marine use. Mine are anemic even when working correctly.

If you have power to the horn then they are dirty or rusty and require cleaning.

One suggestion for improving your horn situation; my rig (different that yours) has these horns on the roof and some Fiamm snail horns under the hood behind the grill. I replaced those under the hood with 5" Hadley Disc electrics one high tone the other low tone. They give a very satisfying loud beep beep.

My roof horn is pathetic but for the heck of it I put an onboard air system on my gas rig (I have other reasons) so I also put in some obnoxious deafeningly loud air horns under the hood. I can use my electric or air depending on situations. One of these days I will run the air to the roof and put a nice air horn there as well. Can't have too many horns.
Besides the roof horns I also have a set of three plastic air horns behind the grill. They do not work at this time when I hit the horn, but I jumpered some wires to the little air compressor and they work fine, there is what I think is another horn relay under the hood but we have not trouble shot that one yet.

Tags
roof