Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #1

Roughly two weeks ago I purchased a 1984 Chevy/Tioga C30. I knew before the sale it needed brake work. I have no experience at removing duals. Are there any special safety considerations? I have air tools.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

Roughly two weeks ago I purchased a 1984 Chevy/Tioga C30. I knew before the sale it needed brake work. I have no experience at removing duals. Are there any special safety considerations? I have air tools.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no problem removing TWO wheels as opposed to just one. Occasionally the wheels will stick together from rust, or the inner wheel will be stuck to the brake drum. You just need to use a little "LIQUID WRENCH" and juggle the wheel back and forth until it loosens up and comes off. Be sure when reinstalling the rear duals you position the VALVE STEMS 180 degrees opposite each other.

Good luck - Glenn
Old 09-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #4

Don't know if you done this job or not, but a word of caution from a 'been there, done that'. Look for alignment pins on your rims that allow them to mount to each other. If you don't get them lined up you'll erase the tread on your tires.

Terry
tnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips on the duals! I've never had to remove duals before, so it's a little intimidating!

I did start on the front yesterday, good grief, look at the size of this stuff! I don't think I wanna try a Class A!

click to enlarge

That's all one piece! Wonder what a new rotor costs! BTW, everything looks good *so far* on the front. Will get to the rear tomorrow or the next day.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
The rotors do come apart from the hubs. Look on the back side of the hubs and should see the bolts that hold the rotor on to the hub itself! No they are not cheap! And I have 4 wheel disc on the class A Chevy!! Really not cheap. Make sure to lube the rails that the caliper slides on with anti-seize before you put it all back together. The rails seem to stick with non use so make sure that they are coated with anti-seize and they should be ok. I think that the rears on the class C should be drum brakes if memory serves. When You pull the wheels off, Make a note to see if the wheels have a post to guide the two wheels together. Some did and some didn't and I can't remember the years they did that anymore, And sometimes they would cut the pin off too!! If that is the case just make sure that the valves for the air in the wheels are opposite from each other. Otherwise it is pretty much the same as a car or light truck.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote