Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
dumb things done to our MH

Hi ..I'm still learning about my 87 Itasca..and wondering if anyone else here has had to repair/rebuild /undo ..the previous owners work ..we have peal and stick tile that we are trying to get out ,the carpet was pulled out because it was worn out...and looks like ..well it not staying .. cupboard doors that were glued back together with ..something solid ..fiberglass resin I think ..silly touch lites everywhere..weird wireing for things that don't work and plastic lite covers "stock origanal" that crumble when you try to fix them or replace bulbs ..what weird stuff have you found ??
kenjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #2

My pet peeve with vintage coaches are pushpins stuck in the walls. Yes pushpins. Need to hang something? Use a pushpin. Need to put something back together? Use a pushpin. Cabinet door not staying shut? Use a pushpin. Want to hang some pictures? Use a pushpin. Blinds seperating? Use a pushpin. Need to hang some keys? Use a pushpin. Ouch, whats that stuck in my foot? A pushpin. I hate pushpins
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjh View Post
Hi ..I'm still learning about my 87 Itasca..and wondering if anyone else here has had to repair/rebuild /undo ..the previous owners work ..we have peal and stick tile that we are trying to get out ,the carpet was pulled out because it was worn out...and looks like ..well it not staying .. cupboard doors that were glued back together with ..something solid ..fiberglass resin I think ..silly touch lites everywhere..weird wireing for things that don't work and plastic lite covers "stock origanal" that crumble when you try to fix them or replace bulbs ..what weird stuff have you found ??

I have an 86 Itasca . The PO went nuts with several different products in an attempt to keep it dry on the inside. He did achieve his goal but now it is beginning to peel as if it has dandruff. Putty, Caulk, another substance I cant even begin to describe. Its everywhere!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

Since we both have about the same MH , I would love to see your pics. Maybe swap some knowledge with you.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have taken a few pictures ..mostly so I can put somthing back together ,,,or show the parts guy what the heck I broke ..when I learn how to post them ..I will put some up ..been trying to follow the wiring under the engine cover ..some old style trip computer fuel minder thing ..sorta works ..amp meter that does not work ..and burned wires I don't know where they go ..
kenjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Great thread in a forum like this one!

Finding an "unmolested" RV that's 20 or more years old can be REALLY hard!

Our '88 Winnie was in pretty decent shape when we got it - worse "owner re-engineering" involved a failed hi-lo beam switch on the steering stalk - and someone had done a fast-and-easy repair that involved having only lo beams when lights were switched on.

We don't drive much in the dark with our RV - but rather than try to replace the bad OEM switch, then repair the altered wiring, I simply abandoned the OEM setup, and wired in a new lighting system using heavy 10 ga. wiring, Hi-lo relays with heavy wiring direct to the battery, and wired the setup so both hi and lo beams are on when the hi beams are selected - the lights are switched from hi/lo with a toggle switch on the dash - works great, and LOTS of bright light!

Only other minor issue, is a pair of wires exiting at top front of roof above the driver side - probably had air horns at one time, but no evidence of a mount for horns anywhere, just the wires...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

LOL @ push pins.

For us it's the various types of screws, flat head, phillips, square... we seem to be constantly changing bits to remove something.

"... pair of wires above the drivers side." Could that have been a CB radio?

I think my favorite previous "fix" so far is a small L bracket holding the rotted wall to the floor and the two ornate shelf brackets helping to hold up the cupboards on that same wall.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
"... pair of wires above the drivers side." Could that have been a CB radio?

No, there WAS a CB installed. with it's antenna at side of MH - the wires on roof look to be power wires to operate some accessory -never have actually connected a meter to see if light or horn switch applies power to those wires - not really important...
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
No, there WAS a CB installed. with it's antenna at side of MH - the wires on roof look to be power wires to operate some accessory -never have actually connected a meter to see if light or horn switch applies power to those wires - not really important...

Ok... then I bet it was a fan.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
Ok... then I bet it was a fan.
UMMmmmm - you DID read that the wires are coming out on the ROOF of the MH, didn't you?

OR, perhaps you DO have some reason for a fan mounted on the ROOF of your RV?

(Just GOTTA LOVE folks who try to offer "solutions", when they fail to actually READ what the QUESTION was...)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post

UMMmmmm - you DID read that the wires are coming out on the ROOF of the MH, didn't you?

OR, perhaps you DO have some reason for a fan mounted on the ROOF of your RV?

(Just GOTTA LOVE folks who try to offer "solutions", when they fail to actually READ what the QUESTION was...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130422_144337.png
Views:	213
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	37361

Im sure he read it and was offering some advice...........
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #12

( wired the setup so both hi and lo beams are on when the hi beams are selected) That is unsafe and dangerous
grizzlyalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyalf View Post
( wired the setup so both hi and lo beams are on when the hi beams are selected) That is unsafe and dangerous
Yup - so "unsafe" it's done commonly on quite a few vehicles...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
Attachment 37361

Im sure he read it and was offering some advice...........
Perhaps - but you have to be pretty unobservant - or dense - to NOT comprehend the difference between a ROOF, and a CEILING...

Here's a clue, the ROOF is what's on TOP (outside!) of a vehicle or dwelling - to keep out the rain and snow...

The CEILING, is INSIDE the same vehicle or dwelling, NOT exposed to the weather - and I have at least *4 times* clearly pointed out that the wires *I* am referring to, are up, OUTSIDE, on the ROOF of our MH...

AND, for the record the pic you have provided, shows a fan installed, NOT outside on a ROOF, but INSIDE, on a CEILING...

Next comes the coloring crayons for illustration...