Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #15

Spartan Chassis
if you need the ceiling assembly with no cut outs at all, they are available here:

Dometic 3106615.010 Penguin Non-Ducted Ceiling Assembly
dulobast25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #16

I would be OK with any changes or modifications to get it to run again, but I'm NOT paying Dometic $623.64 for their digital conversion kit. Here is what my unit looks like.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #17

Spartan Chassis
control board

Theres a few way you could go:

dometic made an ir remote control kit that would allow you the control your ac.

it comes with remote, sensor and control box. The downside is that it wont have medium speed for the blower.. they seem to stop providing that long ago.

Price is around $200. ( i actually have one for sale)

Another option is to get a 5 button comfort control center.

these are $150-$200 with thermostat and control board

you would need to run a cable from the thermostat to the ac

Another option is the newer CCC which Are $200-$300.

Let me know what you end up doing.

I have the same ac with similar issue. the touchpad appears to not work but the blower and compressor and cooling all work.

im trying to findout if its the keypad or the control board.

i have an extra keypad but i need a known working control board to troubleshoot.

you say your other ac works.. have you tried swapping control pads?

you would need to get to the 11 pin ribbon cable to get to both connectors

give me a text so we can hep troubleshoot this together.

619 252 2355
Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #18

Thanks a bunch Dulobast, I need to tear into my unit all the way to see where the ribbon cable goes to on the other end, and swap parts with my rear unit to see if I can pinpoint the culprit. It's getting warmer here, 84 deg. yesterday, are the ribbon cables available somewhere ?, I'll post a photo of mine to show the ugliness, can't really move forward until I know that the ribbon is repaired, if swapping works then I'd be interested in whatever parts you have for sale that would work.
Your options/ideas ALL sound better than what the factory tech help offered me, which was $623.34 and I would need to see if I could find a place to cut holes and run the wires and not have it look rigged, AND the kicker is they could not tell me whether or not it would work with my unit, and like I told Duo-Therm, I would STILL have a 23 year old unit waiting for some other obsolete part to quit, I need to take the road less costly. Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulobast25 View Post
Theres a few way you could go:

dometic made an ir remote control kit that would allow you the control your ac.

it comes with remote, sensor and control box. The downside is that it wont have medium speed for the blower.. they seem to stop providing that long ago.

Price is around $200. ( i actually have one for sale)

Another option is to get a 5 button comfort control center.

these are $150-$200 with thermostat and control board

you would need to run a cable from the thermostat to the ac

Another option is the newer CCC which Are $200-$300.

Let me know what you end up doing.

I have the same ac with similar issue. the touchpad appears to not work but the blower and compressor and cooling all work.

im trying to findout if its the keypad or the control board.

i have an extra keypad but i need a known working control board to troubleshoot.

you say your other ac works.. have you tried swapping control pads?

you would need to get to the 11 pin ribbon cable to get to both connectors

give me a text so we can hep troubleshoot this together.

619 252 2355
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel B View Post
My front A/C has touchpad troubles, I've searched for replacements with no luck, a company makes an update for $389. ! it's on a '90 Hawkins so I imagine it's original, my local RV shop said they had been discontinued ages ago, does anyone know of a source for a used one or a fix ?, if I let it hang out out of the housing I can turn it on, but cannot change temp up or down, check room temp or turn it off, I have to switch the breaker to shut it off, any options please ?
Just a shot in the dark here but that looks like some moisture corrosion by R25. What does the rest of the board look like? You might try taking some electronics cleaner with a tooth brush and scrub the printed circuit board with it. Having that little bit of corrosion on it can cause conduction and give all sort of weird problems. As I look at the top picture more closely Where the warmer button is it looks like the bottom edge of the circuit board has more corrosion on it. Maybe a good cleaning might help.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #20

Well here is what the ribbon looks like past the first connector plug coming from the touch-pad. I have more problems than I first thought.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #21

Well, that could be the whole problem. What is the pitch of the pins, it looks like an IDE hard drive cable, .1" (10 pins to the inch) cable. Is that right? How long is it and how many conductors? Might just me an easy fix if it is the cable.

Edit: What's the model number of the ac unit. Any service manuals you know about?
mjf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #22

Spartan Chassis
its an 11 pin cable.....
Old 05-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #23

You could start looking here....Ribbon Cables / IDC Cables | Mouser