Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #127

It's about time you guys got out of the heat. We are supposed to leave out of here the end of July bound for TN. When we come back for the winter, we will park here until we pick up a piece of land or a run down house to park at. Our criteria is that it needs to have power and septic. We may opt for a house (or trailer) to fix up as that is often cheaper than just a piece of land. If a trailer, that would be removed.

Sanjay seems to be a bit hit & miss online lately. Have you e-mailed him to see if he's okay?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
I sent him a update yesterday. So far nothing back. He was taking care of his daughter so that may keep him busy and they were supposed to have a forest fire somewhere in his neck of the woods. I need to look on the map and see how close he is to Tahoe??
Yep, I am looking forward to that trip!! It should take about three to four days tak'in our time. Driving as we do and driving longer than say 6-8 hours the Microsoft streets and trips said 2 1/2 days but if we see something along the way..Well, you know how it is, Thats why I said three to four...maybe five to get there from here. I have our fishing tackle and the tackle boxes too! I'm not just working while up that way, I'm looking for FISH!!
Trout and maybe a bass or crappie! It will be after the 25 th of July as thats my last appointment at the VA. I will have the truck and coach done for traveling. I will take it easy on the new motor and trans too.
Have a good one and I will check in later, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #129

Vintage RV Owners Club
SacsTC, Thanks for that info As I couldn't remember where he was for sure! He is most likely busy or ??
I'm glad he wasn't in the mix of that fire!! Have a good one, Capt. Dan
Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #130

No, not in the fire. . .or at least not that one.

Ex wife in the hospital again, and I ended up taking my sister to the ER a week ago or so, and they kept her until yesterday. Ran the full load of tests, and could not find a cause for the small stroke she was having when I took her in. No damage, but the knee pain she has had for the last year (getting her to the Dr is like pulling teeth) turned out to be two torn minuscuses (I'm not even going to try to spell that) and she should not have been able to bear weight on it at all, let alone walk on it, as she has been. Even with all that, I was able to swap out the fixture in the tub/shower as it was leaking when switched to shower (would not switch all the way, so I never got good pressure from the shower head). All better now, and I corrected the switched hot/cold lines on that fixture at that time, and did the same for the ones in the galley while the water was off. Took a shower this AM and it was really nice to be able to rinse well at last! More in my own thread!

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #131

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have been working on the truck more than the coach this week, but I did get the radiator installed today. I also set the timing and Idle and ran thru the gears a bit. At least I can call it a Motor Home, Now!! It has one and it sounds great!! I want to get the captains chairs in so I can drive it a little. One thing I'm having done for me is the awning. I need to take the coach to the dealer and they make the measurements and then the color and order.I want to do that by next week at the latest! I can get both vehicles ready for the trip while waiting for that awning. After it is installed and I have another appointment with one other doctor,[eyes], We are go from there. So with a little luck, We will be on the road by the end of the month! I know, Its about time!!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #132

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I'm finishing up the truck today. I am still waiting for the new engine fan, but I have the A/C fan installed and I have to finish putting the grill on. I ran out of battery power last night so I charged it and am ready to finish that project. I drained the radiator and put water, baking soda and a can of flush and drove to town and back! I drained the engine and radiator and it was full of..Sand!! I can't figure out how?? I flushed it about 5-6 times got the water to run clear. That radiator was new so I was really floored over all that sand. I got new antifreeze and it has a 60/40 mix to make the boiling point to go up.
On the coach,I have the pedestals painted and ready to install. May do that tomorrow! I want to adjust the lifters again as they are tapping on what sounds like two different cylinders! I can crawl around that tomorrow and after, I can put the captains chairs on.
One big problem I am trying to solve, The condenser doesn't have any connectors, just barbs and I won't be able to have those crimpped. I'm concerned that it will leak out the R-134A. I'm changing the compressor but I don't want to change the condenser as I don't know where to get one that would work with this coach. One of the problems is that it is a upright radiator, and it has a frame all the way around the radiator and the condenser fits to that frame and the trans and engine oil coolers both bolt to that condenser. I am checking around town but not having much luck...yet!
Thats it for now, Capt Dan
Old 07-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #133

Vintage RV Owners Club
Found a source that will braze fittings on that condenser for me. I am getting new hose and dryer and a/c when it comes in and will have fittings for all the connections! Got some new pictures on the home site so if;in ya want there they are. I'm putting the captains chairs in tomorrow and that way I can finish the body work and get ready for paint. Got to go to town Saturday and get another air hose for my compressor and also a party, That will kill the day but I am getting to bed early as I want to be up at 5 am to get the paint on before the heat cooks the paint! It needs to flow and allows the hardener to smooth out the paint. Sunday evening I will get the back put together and finish on monday morning and take a trip down to one of the local shops and have the coach fitted for a new A&E Weather Pro Awning! That will be our first trip with the coach in over two years now!! Need to find any bugs, if'in they be any??
I will keep ya up to date,Later, Capt Dan
Old 07-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #134

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I got the chairs in and the drivers side fit like it belongs there, The passenger side is another thing??? I can't find the original holes that held the original chair. I'm going to have to drill the holes to bolt down the stand. I know thee have to be holes but they had changed the chair on that side and had a Heavy Duty chair welded together and was mounted differently than the factory model. I don't Understand why I can't find those original holes??
Another thing is the fan for the truck came in today and it was right on the box but the fan inside the box was marked with a different part number and they now have to send me another fan and they said they would make sure that it would be the right fan!
Next Weds or Thurs it should be here. Tomorrow I have to get some parts and supply's and get the coach ready for travel monday.
This will be the first time with the new engine and transmission, Hope it all works!!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #135

Can you locate the holes from below w/ a nail or icepick? I can get at my seat mounting bolt holes and the seatbelt holes through the wheelwell. It wasn't pretty, but all but one broke loose with the impact wrench. The last one's gonna get cut off at the knees.
Brian
Brian 'n Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #136

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, thats how I ended up doing it and still used the drill to clean out the holes so i could get the bolts thru. Found a short in the left turn signals and fixed that started the engine and checked all the fluids and checked all the other stuff for tomorrows run. Also washed the coach and the windows cleaned. Cleaned and aired up the tires and front airbags. All is ready.. I hope it works out ok. This will be the first trip I have taken in over two years and this is just to downtown and back 45-50 miles round trip! I'm looking for any bugs I can find but I am so tired right now I can't think of anything I missed right now. Wish me luck, Need some!!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #137

Vintage RV Owners Club
YEP!!! it runs great!! I have a couple of minor problems to take care of and the motor and transmission should be taken care of! The brakes scared me good!! I thought I was getting a flat but it was the rust on the rotors caused the steering wheel to have a thump like wobble in the steering wheel but I stopped and couldn't see anything wrong. I started to take it on the shoulder and was coasting but could feel the brakes were not totally released. I ran it on the berm for about 1/4 mile and then it just went away so I will check it out before I take it on the road again. This motor has almost twice the power that the old motor had!! It goes up those hills around here like its on flat ground! I just can't beleave how much more power I have!! That should translate into better gas millage! Hope so!! anyway it has been a big problem to fix but I am glad it is almost done!! I only have some things inside to do and the paint and stripes to repaint and it will be pretty much done. We are going on the first trip to Wisconsin to do some of the inside work and get in some fishing in and its cooler there and...have a ball. After I had all this fun I want to do some travel and get to meet some of our on-line friends and chill out awhile!
Will check in later, Capt.Dan
Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #138

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I was fixing up the coach yesterday and the furnace is fixed! They found a motherboard for this old Coleman furnace! Some company called dinosaur electronics still makes one for the Ole furnace! I got the Battery's tied together but hit a snag!! My wedding ring made contact with the tie down bracket and the positive battery post!! I can say ouch!! I had to go to the doctors today and they had to remove the burned flesh from the wound ! I will be down but not out by any other way! I will get some nitrate gloves to wear and get on with it! Its all bandaged up and I got some gel to put on when I take the bandage off! The body work should be done soon anyway and I can paint [weather permitting] This weekend! We will see!
Anyway thats all folks!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #139

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Well, I got the battery compartment fixed so I can pull it all the way now! That is why I burned my finger to begin with. The wire was too short for me to open and I went and did a kinda jury rigged a bit. I took off the wires and cut them back,Using new connectors I used a bolt to connect all to one large line and that goes to the battery. The only difference is that all the 8 Gage wires all terminate in the 00 wire then it goes to the battery from there. That allows me to pull the tray all the way out now.
I got the new fan for the pickup and they shipped the wrong one again!!I called them and told them I would get it somewhere else and they were getting both of the fans back and they better refund all the money or I would make contact with the attorney generals office. I don't think they want to screw with them!! I also showed the hand with the burn around the ring finger.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Details...All these little problems!! I have been working on and off with the body work and Have been having a problem I can't figure out!! The back corners on this thing still want to crack and I have used fiberglass and bondo and glass mat and resin and more bondo and it keeps cracking!!??
I'm running out of ideas!! I have a friend I called today and he will be over tomorrow, and I'm hoping he will have a fix for this as it is holding me up!!
I got everything else ready to paint! I'm doing a bit better today and the finger is waking up! It is throbbing and is right sensitive to heat and cold! The A/C compressor and bracket came in today! Maybe monday or tuesday I will get the stuff ready for the A/C shop so they can crimp the fittings and I can get the engine A/C system done. I'm getting ready to take a trip up north and I will do the stripes when I get there! I need to be ready the 4th of August! Most of it is done. The body work has to be done and the engine A/C system and the welding of the exhaust and steps the rear shocks and a couple of other things and we can get on the road to a friend of ours up north and we can[cooler temps] work on the inside and outside at the same time. Let the weather decide for us, whatever works?? I will get the welding and shocks done maybe by next weekend and I want to flush and bleed the brake system!! That done we can get the body work done, As I can get the nose on and wash and wax and go!!